• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

UPS employee charged with stealing three guns

http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_13645520?source=rss

OAKLAND — A United Parcel Service employee was charged Monday with stealing three guns from shipments, one of which was sold on the street for $300, police said.
Calvin Bailey, 22, of Oakland, was charged with three counts of grand theft and three counts of embezzlement, Assistant District Attorney Tom Rogers said.
Police said Bailey had admitted stealing the guns, two of which were recovered at his house.
Police said the most recent known theft was Wednesday. The other thefts happened in July and August. All were from the UPS facility on Pardee Avenue.
Authorities said UPS has a policy of screening employees with metal detectors as they leave. As Bailey was leaving the facility Wednesday morning, the detector indicated something in the area of his ankle.
Police said he fled before it could be determined what it was, but he returned to the facility Thursday and was detained for police.
A search of Bailey's residence was conducted Thursday. A semi-automatic pistol and a revolver he said were stolen from UPS shipments were recovered, police said. Police said that Bailey had admitted taking a semi-automatic pistol from the facility Wednesday and that he sold the pistol to someone on the street for $300.
No one at UPS with authority to speak about the case or Bailey's employment status could be reached for comment Monday.

Cliffs: Oakland

Thoughts?

I worked for UPS for a couple years, until I tore my shoulder.

I'm not surprised at all. In fact I'm surprised he got caught. They always used metal detectors but never checked bags and they hire anybody off the street.

When they think someone is stealing, they set him/her up with a hidden camera and a tempting package. One time they baited a drug addict by sending a half open bag of veterinarians med's. He just couldn't resist, ended up getting taken out in cuffs. He worked there for 5yrs and was stealing the whole time.

I will never ship UPS, go Fed-Ex or USPS.

I'm not surprised at all. In fact I'm surprised he got caught. They always used metal detectors but never checked bags and they hire anybody off the street.

When they think someone is stealing, they set him/her up with a hidden camera and a tempting package. One time they baited a drug addict by sending a half open bag of veterinarians med's. He just couldn't resist, ended up getting taken out in cuffs. He worked there for 5yrs and was stealing the whole time.

Theft happens at all delivery companies and they all hire anybody with a clean and sometimes questionable driving record depending on the state of the economy. When the economy is going well, their talent pool is limited, when it is like it is now, people are banging down the door to take any job they can get their hands on and management can eliminate less qualified indidviduals. How do I know - I worked for DHL over 15 years ago for almost 5 years. Also, besides drugs, you wouldn't believe what people will try to send overseas. I'm sure there are members of this site that work for all of the above delivery companies who can vouch for my statements

One side note about UPS,

If you insure a package for $5,000 or more, they treat it as "high value" and the driver will take it into the office right when he gets back to the shop.

Otherwise it will just get unloaded by some 3rd shift rookie with the rest of the stuff.

TEAMSTERS dont steal! Pension fund monies, or cargo!.........Fed-Ex gets my business.[wink]

One side note about UPS,

If you insure a package for $5,000 or more, they treat it as "high value" and the driver will take it into the office right when he gets back to the shop.

Otherwise it will just get unloaded by some 3rd shift rookie with the rest of the stuff.

That's some extra $ in insurance though...

On a side not I trust UPS more than anyone else, usually (they may have left something that required a signature on my door step with out anyone signing). The Fed Ex ground guys work for who ever owns the truck they drive and some of the DHL guys we've had at work look like they do their hiring at a head shop.

Just another crime syndicate.

You're kidding. Right?

Of course he is.

He probably sat on a Federal Grand jury and heard all of the testimony of the theft by team mobsters. (I did)

Ask Carl at four seasons if any guns headed for his store ever fell off the back of a UPS truck into the pockets of the "local" boys.

Back
Top Bottom