UPS delivery

Beretta92FS

NES Member
I got a new battery for my laptop by UPS today and was required to sign for it. As I sign, the UPS guy comments: "So you got a battery today, usually you get a lot of gun stuff, right?".

I was floored. How did the UPS driver know that I sometimes receive gun parts, optics, other gun related stuff, hunting gear etc.? It's not like it's written on the boxes (unlike the battery which has external declarations due to the lithium battery).

Anyone experience anything similar? Does the UPS keep a list of "gun" customers?

I got a new battery for my laptop by UPS today and was required to sign for it. As I sign, the UPS guy comments: "So you got a battery today, usually you get a lot of gun stuff, right?".

I was floored. How did the UPS driver know that I sometimes receive gun parts, optics, other gun related stuff, hunting gear etc.? It's not like it's written on the boxes (unlike the battery which has external declarations due to the lithium battery).

Anyone experience anything similar? Does the UPS keep a list of "gun" customers?

Well if you order from Brownells or Midway it is most likely gun stuff.
That's what bothers me about ordering gun stuff online - all it takes is a couple of crooks at UPS and your house is marked for burglary.

My UPS driver knows I get deliveries regularly from Brownells, Midway, GlockTriggers, etc. As do half the other guys in the neighborhood. Not too hard to figure out that I'm getting gun parts. He laughs when I btch about taking deliveries for my wife from him.

The mailman we used to have back in the day was quite talkative. It was actually pretty obnoxious. When you saw him coming you’d run and hide because you knew if he got a hold of you then you’d have to block off half an hour.
He loved to gossip about all the people in the neighborhood based on what they received in the mail. Joe blow up the street is big time in the Masonic Lodge. He gets a ton of Masonic stuff. The other one over here he gets this. Blah blah blah. The other one gets that. Some of these people are just quite bored and have nothing better to do. But yes they pay close attention sometimes and know exactly what’s going on.

wish i had a story here but don't. my ups guy could care less, just dumps the shit at the door and screws as fast as he can. letter carrier, i might get a wave and a hello but i think he's more concerned about the 6 pounds of supermarket flyers we get on wednesdays and the boston sunday globe size jewish newspaper he has for our neighbors of the hebrew faith on fridays to wonder and guess whats in everyone's packages. he's the guy that i've mentioned before that delivers my gun magazines in pristine condition. a shout out here if i may...hey bill, good job buddy on that mail delivery. awesome job!

Wait until he comments on the blowup dolls! Then you'll have reason for concern.[rofl]

You're way overthinking it... those guys work like 14 hour days they could care less about your delivery. All they want to do is finish their route and get home. He was probably just trying to make conversation.

Yep, probably this.

My Fedex driver is an avid shooter and always has a smile when delivering gun related stuff to me.

Never had UPS say anything, but the FedEx driver seemed very startled when I had to ship a gun to S&W for work. This was a few years ago, but I seem to recall something from S&W said I should declare it as firearm. I did, and the driver looked at me like I had 3 heads then sorta said "ok" and hustled back to his truck, remaining outside my house for like 10 minutes. I'm sure he was calling in to see if it was okay to ship a firearm, lol.

I'm not surprised. I've never had any delivery people say anything but like someone mentioned, a heavy box with an ORM-D sticker is a dead giveaway. Not all vendors are "discreet" either. Places like Midway send catalogs from time to time, which is pretty obvious. Brownells says Brownells on it (and I think one of my Midway shipments said NITRO SHIPPING or something on it, with an image of cartridge, not too subtle).

Unless you only order your stuff from Amazon or a place like Academy that sells a ton of non-gun stuff, it's not hard to figure out. When I was in a condo with a shared driveway/entrance it was a bit of a concern, but now at my own home I don't really care. I read an article a while ago written by a mailman that basically "exposed" all the things they know about the people on their routes. I will say that when I ordered a C&R pistol recently I bet the young girl that fetched the package (held at a Walgreens) didn't know what it was, as it was packed in nondescript fashion.

In an ideal world they wouldn't know about your business, but I chock it up as "part of the cost of doing business." If it's a huge issue, only pay cash at an LGS.

Dude if someone who brings items to you on a regular basis DOESN'T know you're getting gun stuff they must be willfully obtuse or something. Probably a good chance the guy is a gun guy himself and recognizes the shippers. Or correlates them with a gun shop or something on his route, etc.

Hell at the Fitchburg Post office I was known as "that guy that buys the bullets" [rofl]

It's called "deductive reasoning". lol.

-Mike

"So you got a battery today, usually you get a lot of gun stuff, right?".

After he asked, you should have stuck your head way out the door and taken a looong look up and down the street.
Then when he looks at you puzzled, ask him:

"Do you have a minute to help me move a credenza, and reach for his arm..."

He'll never darken your doorway again...

~Matt

Well if you order from Brownells or Midway it is most likely gun stuff.
That's what bothers me about ordering gun stuff online - all it takes is a couple of crooks at UPS and your house is marked for burglary.

Your concerns are not well founded.

People at UPS for the most part get paid too well to be risking their job stealing packages.

In 35 years of thousands of dollars per year ordering online, I've never had anything lost or stolen by any carrier.

I once had a box of bullets that got dropped and split and the USPS notified me. I went to the distribution/sorting center and picked it up (reboxed) and all was good. There was two or three bullets missing from a box of 2000.....nothing to cry about.
Other than that one incident, everything has always arrived on time and in proper condition by all carriers.

Dude if someone who brings items to you on a regular basis DOESN'T know you're getting gun stuff they must be willfully obtuse or something. Probably a good chance the guy is a gun guy himself and recognizes the shippers. Or correlates them with a gun shop or something on his route, etc.

Hell at the Fitchburg Post office I was known as "that guy that buys the bullets" [rofl]

It's called "deductive reasoning". lol.

-Mike

My post office guys ask me about guns all the time including a former postmaster that I gave some .40 Black Talons to.

I get enough junk mail from the NRA and Midway that there's no way the mailman hasn't caught on yet.

They don't keep a list. They just pay attention. Do a delivery job for a few years and you end up knowing far too much about people on your route. I've been with the usps for just over two years, I've seen a dozen people naked, drug deals, all kinds of illegal crap, weird families, people that routinely get suspicious packages, and gun stuff. I just want to deliver the mail and go home.

But yeah, if you get anything out of the ordinary, that's how they know you by.

You should hear what we say about the nun that gets stuff from adult leather shop delivered once a month.

CMP Builds muscles...

... on FedEx drivers.

It's all those packages with Blue ORM-D stickers labeled Cartridges, Small Arms...[banana]
Those are a dead give away![smile]

I just get the UPS guy saying that he's surprised it's not more wood. For a while I was buying turning blanks, mostly 8"x8"x3" from a company in Utah when they were on clearance or bulk sale for a while.

DAFUQ OP? You think you're sneaking shit past your delivery guys or something? They're just regular dudes/gals, some of whom probably like gun stuff too. Don't be weird.

One day, when delivering a case of .308, my UPS driver asked my wife if I was preparing for Armageddon. My did not know what to say but I laughed when she told me. He is a nice guy and we have talked about shooting before.

Your driver is probably a shooter and trying to make conversation, don’t freak out. If you were a gun guy delivering packages, you too would probably notice who gets packages from gun related companies.

Back in 2003, FEDEX delivered a package to my house while I was at work. The tracking said "signed by adult". I wasn't married, no one else was living with me. It was a C&R eligible Madsen 1950 9mm SMG. I HATE FEDEX!!

Back
Top Bottom