• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

UPS checking LTC???

Matt2109

NES Life Member
NES Member
I recently purchased a vintage .22 rifle and had it shipped to me (C&R). The package required signature as expected. My girlfriend received and signed for the delivery, the UPS driver asked to see her LTC. Can they do this????? I had a fit and told here that he has no right doing that and she should have asked to see his. She showed it and took delivery, so no big deal, but I was wishing that I answered the door.

Now I am second guessing myself, so thought I would ask the NES brain trust, can a delivery driver do this (in Mass)?

Since he himself isn't required to be licensed either for this transaction I don't see how its any of his business to see yours. He isn't making the transfer, the sale/transfer happened before it was even shipped.

i'm thinking the story was skewed a bit by the girlfriend. never heard of this happening, never had it happen to me and wondering how the driver knew what was in the parcel, there is never an indication. i'm thinking it was shipped needing an adult signature, maybe she looks young, and he asked for id, maybe a license. i just signed for a return from ruger this morning, the driver asked if i was specifically the addressee named on the box but that's as far as that went.

i had a conversation with the woman running the chelmsford ups station once. she told me there was only two two people who knew a firearm was in the box i was shipping that day, me and her. she said no one would have a need to know and she had to know for the insurance.

ok, i'm done!

Cite, please?
It will be very hard to find a cite saying someone is not required to do something. The issue would center on the role of a common carrier in commerce. I do not believe UPS drivers check pharmacists's DEA licenses before handing over packages of narcotics.

i'm thinking the story was skewed a bit by the girlfriend. never heard of this happening, never had it happen to me and wondering how the driver knew what was in the parcel, there is never an indication. i'm thinking it was shipped needing an adult signature, maybe she looks young, and he asked for id, maybe a license. i just signed for a return from ruger this morning, the driver asked if i was specifically the addressee named on the box but that's as far as that went.

i had a conversation with the woman running the chelmsford ups station once. she told me there was only two two people who knew a firearm was in the box i was shipping that day, me and her. she said no one would have a need to know and she had to know for the insurance.

ok, i'm done!

Girlfriend answered the door but I was nearby and I heard the driver say something about for safety, so I believe her. For what it is worth she is over 50, not young. The only indication what was in the box, was the return address was a gun shop.

Cite, please?

C+R application page 4:

" A license under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44: A. Is not a license to carry, use, or possess a firearm; and B. Confers no right or privilege to conduct an activity contrary to state or other law."

Despite having a C+R you should have a license to possess, and that should be checked by the dealer who sends your firearm.

Last edited:
My former postman would flag me down on occasion and tell me he had a gun for me and ask if I wanted to take it right then. He would assume it was a gun by the box and he was right every time. I'm not sure how he started figuring it out, but we'd talk hunting and guns off and on.

Ammo would be required to be labeled similar to below, so the UPS guy would know it's ammo in the box.

m003578431_sc7

im not sure if its law or policy but any time i have received a C&R item from a driver that is not a regular ask for ID for proof of age/resident?

but then again this might just be shipping policy and not gun related at all?

I've had ammunition and C&R firearms delivered by UPS and never once has anyone asked to see an FID or LTC before delivery. I think the ammo was just dropped off like any other package and I didn't even have to sign for it.

I do know that UPS will require a copy of the recipients C&R if you are shipping a C&R long gun. I had that happen a few years ago at the Brockton depot. They didn't care about my C&R or LTC, but wouldn't accept that package without the recipients C&R.

I think sometimes they counter clerks make up their own rules though. I once had a clerk tell me that the envelope I had attached to the outside of the box with a packing list was "mail" and she wouldn't accept it until I put a stamp on the envelope. [rolleyes]

It will be very hard to find a cite saying someone is not required to do something. The issue would center on the role of a common carrier in commerce. I do not believe UPS drivers check pharmacists's DEA licenses before handing over packages of narcotics.

C+R application page 4:

" A license under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44: A. Is not a license to carry, use, or possess a firearm; and B. Confers no right or privilege to conduct an activity contrary to state or other law."

Despite having a C+R you should have a license to possess, and that should be checked by the dealer who sends your firearm.

That's not the law (bolded). Most states don't have a license to possess. AFAIK all the seller need do, is see that the recipient's C&R is valid.

Regardless of the cites cited! UPS guy is not the frickken seller, he's barely qualified to hand me my guns!

he's the gopher ffs. Gopher my gun ya toolbag!

Girlfriend has to be hot...only explanation.

UPS: Can I see you LTC
Me: Are you a police officer?
UPS: No
Me: No

Of course back when I had an FFL UPS would just leave it at the door, or the neighbors door, or at the door of the wrong address on the other side of town (not kidding, really happened).

How did the UPS guy know you purchased a gun?

Edit: I just read the return address was a gun shop. Still...how did he know it was a gun, and not a piece of furniture? - never admit you have a gun, specially to a stranger that will now tell all his buddies he delivered a gun.

Last edited:
I been with UPS 39 years, and have never heard of a policy requiring a customer to show an LTC.

Yes, this whole thing sounds unusual and may well be the extracurricular actions of a rouge delivery guy, I would contact UPS -- dude may be looking for a new job this time next week.

Also keep in mind this time of year UPS trucks often have a helper (temp hire) onboard as a package runner to the door -- even greater opportunity for some spaz to take the "law" into his own hands.

I been with UPS 39 years, and have never heard of a policy requiring a customer to show an LTC........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With adult signature required is it unusual for the driver to ID the person signing as an adult?

Also with talking to the delivery drivers who deliver to my work they are pretty good at knowing what's in the box.

I been with UPS 39 years, and have never heard of a policy requiring a customer to show an LTC........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I,just found this..... matt2109 maybe your UPS was not convinced your GF was 21 and if she knew it was a gun and he asked for ID she assumed LTC?
.. Adult Signature Required: UPS will obtain the adult recipient's signature and provide you with a printed copy. Adult recipients must be at least 21. You may also view the adult recipient's signature online
I know at least 4 CR deliveries to my home my wife was ID'd for age.
I get all my deliveries at work now and have had the same ups/fedex drivers for 10+years.

The package was probably shipped "adult signature required" which means you need to be over 21. My guess is that he was just looking for an ID to validate age and, since he obviously knew it was a gun, asked for LTC instead of a general "ID".

Back
Top Bottom