• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Upgrading from FID to LTC

I got an FID before I turned 21, and now that it is about to expire I'm looking to get an LTC instead. The application is the same, but the very first question has you check either "New Applicant" or "Renewal" - which one should I check? I'm technically not "renewing" my FID - I'm applying for an LTC. But, I'm not a new applicant, they should still have my safety course and everything else on file.

Because you’ve never had an LTC you’re considered a new applicant and will need to fill the form out as such. When I did mine I brought in another copy of my safety certificate. I think they already had one from my pre 21 FID but I wouldn’t bank on that.

The above advice is most logical to me, but the best advice for your specific situation would be to chat with your licensing officer. Reason I say this is policy/procedure can vary by town, and a good example of this is people who move back into state and have a long expired resident LTC. Some PDs say to check renewal, others say new application. This scenario sounds like a new application to me, but again your licensing officer will know best since they will be the ones reviewing it and keying it into the system.

X2 on bringing the safety certificate. The worst they can say is “we don’t need this”, which is better than “go home and get the safety cert”.

Back
Top Bottom