Updating Pre-Ban AR Mags

I just got a hold of a lot of pre-bans, they are all in working order, but alot of them are going to need some new followers, springs etc. I just wanted to get a feel of what everyone has had good experiences with or items to avoid. Also looking for some idea's and techniques/materials needed to refinish the mag bodies. Thanks.

I just got a hold of a lot of pre-bans, they are all in working order, but alot of them are going to need some new followers, springs etc. I just wanted to get a feel of what everyone has had good experiences with or items to avoid. Also looking for some idea's and techniques/materials needed to refinish the mag bodies. Thanks.

Magpul. Followers, floorplates and they do springs too. Use the search feature and there are several threads here on refinishing the bodies with various dry lube coatings.

Keep the old floorplates so you can prove pre-ban manufacture.

i respectively disagree. keeping the floor plates wont prove anything. what if i had a bunch of c product mags and had a bunch of colt floor plates? there is really no way to prove what floorplates went with which magazines.

I rebuilt all mt prebans (at the time) with orange magpul followers, wolff springs, and a couple new dpms floor plates where needed. I didnt refinish any of them, but research had shown that Alumahyde (sp?) was the way to go....

i respectively disagree. keeping the floor plates wont prove anything. what if i had a bunch of c product mags and had a bunch of colt floor plates? there is really no way to prove what floorplates went with which magazines.

+1...Floorplates don't mean a thing, the ONLY thing that could prove date of manufacture (either way, pre or post) is a date stamp on the body.

Since when have we established that the body is the part that must be age marked? If your old body is damaged and you replace it with a new C-products body but keep the floorplate and innards, this is arguably still a pre-ban magazine, as long you end up with one magazine after the rebuild.

Since when have we established that the body is the part that must be age marked? If your old body is damaged and you replace it with a new C-products body but keep the floorplate and innards, this is arguably still a pre-ban magazine, as long you end up with one magazine after the rebuild.

We never established that,manufacturers did.

But,don't let facts get in the way of spreading misinformation.

Am I reading this wrong?

your saying that if you break of the feed lips of your pre-94 mag, you believe that you can take the follower, the spring and the floor plate and install them in a Mag body thats marked LE/Mil only , 6/08 and not be in trouble?

I strongly disagree.

your saying that if you break of the feed lips of your pre-94 mag, you believe that you can take the follower, the spring and the floor plate and install them in a Mag body thats marked LE/Mil only , 6/08 and not be in trouble?

He's referencing an ATF letter from the federal ban which implied that this exact situation was theoretically ok. However, the MA ban and the federal ban differ on the definition of what makes a magazine post-ban, and so you're starting to get into really questionable waters here.

So, in vellnueve's defense, it might be legal, and some interpret it that way. But at the price of $15-$20 for a replacement pre-ban mag, I'd rather just scrap a mag which had a body that got messed up.

He's referencing an ATF letter from the federal ban which implied that this exact situation was theoretically ok. However, the MA ban and the federal ban differ on the definition of what makes a magazine post-ban, and so you're starting to get into really questionable waters here.

So, in vellnueve's defense, it might be legal, and some interpret it that way. But at the price of $15-$20 for a replacement pre-ban mag, I'd rather just scrap a mag which had a body that got messed up.

I agree. I'm just saying that there's a fairly strong argument that you can replace the body.

It something I would do if I ever felt the need to replace mine. But I really don't think I'll ever rebuild a mag. If one breaks, I'll trash it.

Back
Top Bottom