• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Updating Firing Pin And Trigger on SKS

I'm thinking about doing some updates on one of my SKS's. It will either be my Norinco 56 or the M. Don't know just yet. My 1950 Tula stays untouched! When I say updating I mean internal. IMHO an SKS should look like an SKS so not looking for a replacement stock or anything else that makes it look like something other than what it is.

I have read a lot about the Murray's firing pin and was wondering if anyone here may have put one in? The stock inertia pin will work just fine if kept clean but just wondering if the new pin install was worth while.

Also looking to send the trigger group to Tom Kivaari. I have watched the SKS trigger tuning video on You Tube and don't think I'm ready to attempt it myself. Both of these Norinco rifles have negative engagement so each trigger should be done.

I have heard that by doing both updates you will have light strikes on berdan primed ammo. I have also heard that by not installing the Wolf spring and using the original you may avoid the light strikes. Anyone have personal experience with each of these?

Thanks

I have both the Murray firing pin mod and a Kivaari trigger job on my SKS-M. I highly recommend both. The Murray firing pin mod was a must for me after I saw the video and thought about a jammed firing pin. A tapered pin in that slot without a return spring does seem like asking for trouble. The Kivaari trigger job was because the trigger pull was like pulling brick attached to a chain over a stretch of #2 gravel. Something had to be done if I ever wanted to shoot the rifle accurately.

You can't tell I've had the firing pin mod'ed unless you break the weapon down father than anyone normally would, and it adds an important (to me) functional safeguard. The Kivaari trigger is something i appreciate every time I shoulder and fire the weapon. Neither mod is particularly expensive, both are done quickly, and both Ben Murray and Tom Prince (AKA Kivaari) are masters at what they do.

Find your way to Southern NH, and you're welcome to run a couple of magazines through my SKS to check it out.

Scott....This is what I was looking for. Someone who got both mods done. Have you had any issues with light strikes on any of the ammo you've used?
I hear nothing but good reviews on Tom's triggers and this is a definate job I'll be having done.

I've had no problems with light primer strikes at all. I've shot almost all commercial Wolf, but I have shot about ~350-400 rounds of some berdan milspec stuff without problems. Maybe some headstamps have unusually hard primers, but so far every time I've squeezed the trigger, it went BOOM. I've very happy with the setup.

I know you're farther North, but the offer still stands: you're welcome to shoot it any time you're down this way. In fact, all this talking about it makes me want to get it out to the range this weekend. [smile]

I was waiting for you to answer this one, haha. If you're not getting the pins changed out on yours, I'm not scrambling to change mine either.

I look at it this way, Russia used spring loaded firing pins for around a year and then switched to the current design. The rifle has been in service all over the world for 60 years in that configuration. If it was a big deal I think someone somewhere in an arsenal would have switched back to spring loaded pins at some point. I also think the reason why it was done by a few smiths here in the states was so people could shoot commercial ammo with soft primers with no worry of slam fire.

I've had no problems with light primer strikes at all. I've shot almost all commercial Wolf, but I have shot about ~350-400 rounds of some berdan milspec stuff without problems. Maybe some headstamps have unusually hard primers, but so far every time I've squeezed the trigger, it went BOOM. I've very happy with the setup.

I know you're farther North, but the offer still stands: you're welcome to shoot it any time you're down this way. In fact, all this talking about it makes me want to get it out to the range this weekend. [smile]

I'll take you up on the offer. I'll gather up some different ammo and load up some mags. PM incoming.

SKS Ray said:
I look at it this way, Russia used spring loaded firing pins for around a year and then switched to the current design. The rifle has been in service all over the world for 60 years in that configuration. If it was a big deal I think someone somewhere in an arsenal would have switched back to spring loaded pins at some point. I also think the reason why it was done by a few smiths here in the states was so people could shoot commercial ammo with soft primers with no worry of slam fire.

I agree Ray. I had thought the same thing. Why did the Russians leave the spring loaded pin design? BTW what year did they leave that design? Was it 51?

I'm just looking to take one of my toys and play just to see what I can get out of it.

I agree Ray. I had thought the same thing. Why did the Russians leave the spring loaded pin design? BTW what year did they leave that design? Was it 51?

I'm just looking to take one of my toys and play just to see what I can get out of it.

The first rifles were built in late 1949 and had the spring pin. I'm not 100% sure buT I think that feature went up until mid to late 1950. I know there are some people who have gotten matching 1950 rifles with no spring firing pin.

My guess is they got rid of it because it helped speed up production and found they simply didn't need it. These days a lot of people do the mod so they can shoot commercial ammo for better accuracy and some just want the security of knowing its there.

You mentioned light primer strikes in your first post. I've had this happen once when I was shooting Wolf grey steel cased ammo at a Shirley shoot. I had bought a bandolier full of it and would get just a dented primer on at least 3 out of 10 rounds. Those rounds fired after a second hit but that batch of Wolf definitely had hard primers. I wound up using it in my AKs instead. I can only imagine that if I had a spring pin in the Russian I was using that day that I'd have had many more light hits.

Do some digging on Survivor's boards: www.sksboards.com and see if you can find info on spring loaded pins. I'm sure many folks there have range experience with both mods.

Back
Top Bottom