• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Updated: Would this make a good duck hunting spot?

o.k. So I went out exploring and found what might be a good spot for pass shooting. Let me know what you seasoned hunters think. the general area is a marsh about 1/4 mile long and 200 yards deep running between a wooded area and a cranberry bog's water supply pond. the spot in specific that I had found is about 25-30 feet from the edge of the woods and probably 100-125 yards from the actual water. It is a marshy clearing about 10ft X 25ft surrounded by marsh grass and 15ft tall brush. My thoughts are that if I were abble to call a duck to fly over, they wouldn't see me until it was too late (I wouldnt be using a blind, just Max4 camo). I understand that no spot is going to make a deifference if there are no ducks in the area, but assuming that there are ducks in the area would this plan have a chance of working with a little luck and some greeting/feeding calls?

here is a kind of small panoramic pic of the area.

2010-10-13_10-19-16_321.jpg

here is a satellite photo

Untitled-2.jpg

Last edited:
You need to be where the birds want to be. This is a post of a friend of mine on another forum giving advice to a newbie. It is dead on:

Scout, scout, scout, scout, scout. That is the key. Get off the main impoundments that are crowded and go looking for quiet little rivers and beaver ponds.

Use tools like Google Earth, Satelite maps in general and topo maps. Sit out before sunrise in your vehicle at likely vantage points. Watch for birds, and follow them once you see a decent number of flocks heading in one dirrection. Walk down alot of drainages and see what you see. Sometimes, you find the brand new beaver pond that you didn't even know was there and it's chuck full of birds !

There is no magical aspect of scouting. It's just alot of leg work. You may look at 50 places to find one honey hole. Good luck and happy hunting.

Again, the key is to be where the birds want to be.

Have you been there just before sunset. I have a few places that light up 15 mins before sunset, but if you were there 30 mins before you'd hardly see a bird. This is something you need to find out because if the place doesn't have ducks flying around at sunset then you can't call them in. Water doesn't always equal ducks.

Also you need to be able to see pretty far. If you can't see around you they will fly right by you without you getting a shot.

At this point since the season is open, why not just try it. No need to scout without a shotgun now.

Back
Top Bottom