Updated Band of Brothers Montage

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
After fixing/retesting the M17, I realized I had turned over nearly 75% of my American collection this year through upgrading and adding bayonets. The M17, M03A3, and M1 carbine were upgraded, and I added the AFH 1942 M1 modified bayonet, and the Utica M4 M1C bayonet.

Worth a new family photo.

MS

Still need a M17 bayonet; but they're going for nearly $200...

Last edited:
Forged steel, shaped Walnut, deep blues, aged park, so beautiful. It doesn't get any better.

Last edited:
...but they can't be any good! There's no polymer! And where are the rails?

An M1917 is about the only milsurp I'm still looking for. Beautiful collection.

Whats the pistol???

M1903 Colt .32acp, SN dates it to 1919, 90%, mid 20's Colt wood grips. Traded my nickel plated Brown Bess for it a couple of years ago. The owner had bought this one and a M1911 from the Vet's nephew who carried them both is WWII as a US tank commander.

006.jpg

Box of Privi at 30 feet.

MS

Last edited:
...but they can't be any good! There's no polymer! And where are the rails?

An M1917 is about the only milsurp I'm still looking for. Beautiful collection.

This is why:

Forged steel, shaped Walnut, deep blues, aged park, so beautiful. It doesn't get any better.

Old North and I have the same tastes. Everything I have is C&R. No rails; all honest open iron sights with bifocals. That's not to say if I could afford a ZF41, high or low turret K98k...

MS

maj, kinda off topic, but which rifle do you prefer (and why), the M1903 Springfield or the M1917? I've never shot either but want them both.

As a matter of personal preference, the M03 (not the 03A3) for a few reasons:

1. I like the old-fashioned pumpkin-on-a-post sights on the M03 as opposed to the peep sight and blade. I'm OK with peep sights that have front sight wings that help centering like the M17 and the Garand.
2. I'm more used to the cock-on-close M03.
3. The M03 is lighter by a fair bit. The M17 is a clumsy, heavy SOB but mean looking.
4. The M17 trigger reach is little too far for me.
5. OT/This example is an official oddball; a unissued 1919 RIA receiver barreled and completed by Springfield in 8/1931.

MS

Last edited:
Great analysis, thanks Maj. Thats an interesting point you made about the blade and leaf sights on the M1903 versus the peep and blade on the M1903A3.

Finally found why I could not add pics through 'manage attachments'; my capacity was maxed out. So I deleted some from two years ago and re-posted a pic that can be nicely enlarged.

So check your capacity if your uploads are denied; last item on your 'settings' link above 'blog'.

MS

Last edited:
Old North and I have the same tastes. Everything I have is C&R. No rails; all honest open iron sights with bifocals.

Amen! I was poking fun. FWIW, I'm the same way. I dated a Glock years ago, but marriage just wasn't in the cards.

Back
Top Bottom