Update - Two people shot, one dead at movie theater in Florida -Suspect Retired Cop

Completely insane. My hope is that they lock that guy up for the rest of his life. There's no excuse whatsoever. No special treatment for this jerk-ass ex-cop.

I'm very curious to see how mainstream news handles this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMHO, the fact that he was a cop is actually going steer the blame away from the Stand your Ground crowd. The news will play up the retired LEO, not the CCW as they did with Zimmerman.
He hasn't got a prayer on a SYG defense anyway.

The fact that it's a retired LEO means it's going to be buried after today. If it was a non-LEO then it would be in the 24-hour news cycle for the next 8 weeks.

I am living right down the street from there this winter and we were looking for a theater to go see the Hobbit and also wanted to see Lone Survivor. Today was 75 and sunny so we hung out in the pool and figured we would wait for a rainy day. Rain forecasted for tomorrow so we put it off. We did go to dinner tonight in Wesley Chapel.
Its a pretty nice area so it just goes to show you never know where trouble may show up.
Had an anti gun friend post about this on my facebook page but deleted it once it came out that it was a retired cop that did the shooting.

Obviously there is no justification for shooting someone for using their cell phone in movie theater. I go to the movies all the time. At least twice a month. I can tell you cell phone usage during the movie is rampant. I can't remember a time I didn't see someone using their phone during the movie. The inconsiderate boobs never even turn the brightness down. As soon as the look at it the whole theater can see the glow. I'm really reluctant to say anything and never have. If the person was close to me and doing it often enough I might say something but if it looked like things could escalate I'd be out of there. It never ceases to amaze me just how inconsiderate people can be.

Obviously there is no justification for shooting someone for using their cell phone in movie theater. I go to the movies all the time. At least twice a month. I can tell you cell phone usage during the movie is rampant. I can't remember a time I didn't see someone using their phone during the movie. The inconsiderate boobs never even turn the brightness down. As soon as the look at it the whole theater can see the glow. I'm really reluctant to say anything and never have. If the person was close to me and doing it often enough I might say something but if it looked like things could escalate I'd be out of there. It never ceases to amaze me just how inconsiderate people can be.

Maybe a be a few more shootings like this will alleviate the movie theater cell phone problem.

At the price movie tickets/popcorn/drinks cost these days and the fact of dealing with the public, its gotta be a movie I really want to see in order for me to go to a theater. I've never had the experience of some ******* with a lit up cell phone distracting me during a flick. Probably because I only go to high end cinemas that don't tolerate that shit.

I can honestly say that if I ever did have it happen and it pissed me off enough to do something about it, I can only hope the offender is using a phone with a huge screen size so it hurts that much more when I'm inserting it in him that's somewhere unpleasant.

My guess is the reason it's falling off the radar (behind the abandoned paper mill fire on local news) is that it's coming out that the shooter is a retired cop and the victim was texting his preschool daughter. Gotta love the fair and balanced American media.

Last edited:
My guess is the reason it's falling off the radar (behind the abandoned paper mill fire on local news) is that it's coming out that the shooter is a retired cop and the victim was texting his preschool daughter. Gotta love the fair and balanced American media.

And it didn't involve an evil assault weapon

From what I've read, the discussion over texting got heated, and someone threw popcorn.

Obviously, having popcorn thrown in your face constitutes aggression, so the retired LEO was well within his rights to use his carry gun in self-defense.

Saturated fats are deadly, after all.

I usually don't go to movies, not because Im afraid of being shot, but afraid of being annoyed by an ass clown with a cell phone. Now that I have a son, stuff to lose and a howitzer on my hip, I figure its probably best I just avoid situations where I am overcome with desire to take the cell phone and shove it somewhere painful.

- - - Updated - - -

b-b-but only cops should have guns!! (retired or otherwise)

From what I've read, the discussion over texting got heated, and someone threw popcorn.

Obviously, having popcorn thrown in your face constitutes aggression, so the retired LEO was well within his rights to use his carry gun in self-defense.

Saturated fats are deadly, after all.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/14/justice/florida-movie-theater-shooting/

cop is already digging in under SYG

During an interview with Reeves with his arrest, and after the former cop was read his Miranda rights, Reeves admitted to firing his weapon at the victim because "he was in fear of being attacked," according to the police report.

Reeves told police that Oulson had hit him with what the police report describes as an "unknown object."

A list of prohibited items and behavior in their theaters are on the theater website. Among them: no cell phone use, including texting, in the theater auditorium. And no weapons allowed.

Florida does, but the charge is 2nd degree

I'm not very law savvy, what does it take to be 1st degree over 2nd?

premeditation? if they find he left to get a gun and not a manager I assume they could change to 1st degree?

I remember on the news they played over and over how several cell phones went off during some high end opera in Boston and how terrible that was. I kept thinking is that news really more important than one of our boys in the military that lost his life defending us?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom