• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

UPDATE POST 19 Giraud Power Trimmer and Giraud Tri Way Trimmer

Just got the Giraud Power Trimmer last week and made short work of 2500 .223 for my test run......I got a great deal on 5000 LC brass that will be here on Friday.

Called up Giraud asked a few questions about the new Tri Way Trimmer......bought it should be here next week:

http://www.giraudtool.com/Tri Way Trimmer.htm

As a test I plan to hook it up to a 1725 rpm motor with a drill chuck. Ideally I want to have it hooked up to a TEAC, quiet 3000-3500 rpm 1/4hp motor.

Does anyone have the TRI WAY? How did you set it up?

Last edited:
I'm guessing that nobody here has tried one. This thread is the first time I've seen one. Let us know how you like it.

I may get one for the boxes of .30-06 in need of processing. Probably just get what I need for the giraud I already own. Subbed for later viewing.

Ya know I typically go to his site through Google and SEO takes me to the Power Trimmer page.....I hit the home button and there it was. I will give my impression and do a comparison...There are a few youtube vids, however very little talking and they have them hooked to drills. Not my style.

As I said above I want to do a direct drive set up with a 1/4 hp (double that of the power trimmer)

Anyone see a benefit to using a belted system like the Giraud Power Trimmer??

Ya know I typically go to his site through Google and SEO takes me to the Power Trimmer page.....I hit the home button and there it was. I will give my impression and do a comparison...There are a few youtube vids, however very little talking and they have them hooked to drills. Not my style.

As I said above I want to do a direct drive set up with a 1/4 hp (double that of the power trimmer)

Anyone see a benefit to using a belted system like the Giraud Power Trimmer??

Assumption based on prior knowledge of DC motors (I'm unsure about AC motors.)

Depending on the physical construction of a motors' stator and rotor, some motors "cog" to a greater or lesser extent. Cogging causes acceleration and deceleration of the motor, which could cause unwanted chatter on something like a metal cutter.
AC motors may not cog at all, or may be substantially more consistent in their speed. Regardless, a belt tends to act like a shock absorber in power delivery... This alone may prevent cutter chatter and make belt drive more desirable.

Awesome thanks for the insight...I am hoping that with the RPM's and carbide cutter that chatter will be limited...but that being said it would only take a little bit more effort to make a belted system.

Assumption based on prior knowledge of DC motors (I'm unsure about AC motors.)

Depending on the physical construction of a motors' stator and rotor, some motors "cog" to a greater or lesser extent. Cogging causes acceleration and deceleration of the motor, which could cause unwanted chatter on something like a metal cutter.
AC motors may not cog at all, or may be substantially more consistent in their speed. Regardless, a belt tends to act like a shock absorber in power delivery... This alone may prevent cutter chatter and make belt drive more desirable.

I've been meaning to order one of the new try-way trimmers. This thread reminded me to finally do it. Thank you.

I rarely trim anything, but wet tumbling of my .223 brass leaves the necks a little rough. I think a quick jab with this trimmer will clean things up.
I'm going to chuck it up in my drill press and see how it works.

I am using the Possum Hollow trimmer now but this still leaves the deburr and chamfer steps to be done. Having this do all three at once looks like a no brainer. I'll add one to the tool kit.

Should work better than the RCBS 3-way trimmer. If not for the pilot that was a bit small, it might have a chance of doing a good job however simple it is. Always planned to make up another pilot but after 10 years...

UPDATE: Received the Trimmer a day Early, only fiddled with for 20 minutes or so...

Construction:
- As expected it is constructed to be bomb proof.
- The plastic shield spins as one with the metal housing
- There is a sealed bearing where the case enters the housing
- The shaft is 3/8" in diameter, Although a bit short (I will measure when I get home)

Ease of Use/Setup:
-Simple.
-I used my pre-trimmed case to set the depth and was trimming to 1.74xx" and locked the nut

It chucks up to a drill rather nicely and works meh (Meh is a scientific term that is between shitty and OK) with a lower speed drill. The lower the rpms the less effective and more time consuming.

Lower rpm drill:
- More likely to leave burr on exterior mouth
- Chattering
- Increased time

I attempted to add to a motor I had, but that did not go as planned. The drill chuck was less than desirable and caused the whole thing to be off balance due to the increased shaft length.

My next attempt will be with the same 1725 rpm 1/2hp motor with a coupler 3/8" to 5/8"........However, essentially I am just making a Gracey Trimmer and the Giraud Power Trimmer was born out of necessity because the Gracey was lacking in design.

I also plan to borrow a high speed drill (2500+ rpms) to see how that works out. Maybe even chuck it on my drill press...

RPMS and STABILITY are the name of the game.

Update: I was able to remove much of the chatter by balancing the shaft from the motor using a small flywheel on the opposing shaft and using a much better drill chuck. That being said I cannot stress this enough RPMS are critical. With a 1725rpm 1/2hp motor I was having to spend 20 seconds on a case where as the Power Trimmer @ 3000 RPMS is around 5 seconds.

I will be hooking up to a 1/2 hp , 3450 grinding wheel this evening.

photo.jpg

5sec? I have a power trimmer. Maybe 2 full seconds if you're taking your time.

If yours is taking 5 per shell I think you may need a new insert.

I am over estimating the time at which I do it...I also twist more than 180 and I also am trimming to 1.74 which is a bit more material than most...Basically trim till I hear no noise...so maybe 3 seconds would be a better estimation.

Really without the RPMs there is no fair comparison....So when I get it hooked up to a faster motor I will compare the cut times and overall quality.

5sec? I have a power trimmer. Maybe 2 full seconds if you're taking your time.

If yours is taking 5 per shell I think you may need a new insert.

Ok so I have the coupler 1/2" to 3/8" and the thing hums along at 3450 rpms. I did roughly 20 cases and compared the results to the Power Trimmer and the Tri Way Trimmer actually produced a better uniform chamfer. Maybe my power trimmer blade needs to be adjusted.

Caveats: Torque of the 1/2 hp 3450 rpms means you need to grip the case tighter...I would recommend a heavy duty rubberized glove.

giraud.jpg

Youtube vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o999WIUcN4&feature=youtu.be

Back
Top Bottom