• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Update on Comm2A, filed another new case

Here is the new case we just filed. http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...who-denied-a-license-based-on-expunged-record Hit up that link for more info. Plus one of our volunteers will be doing a better writeup than I can muster in the coming days.

We now have 7 cases in federal court, 2 of which are in the circuit. Don't be surprised we start to hit the fundraiser button in the near future. We are starting to get stretched thin, both our time and the coffers. If you have been holding off, now is the time to donate. Every bit helps.

BTW: That list of 7 doesn't include amicus briefs nor does it include state court cases, which one was filed recently that we won't be divulging our involvement in. I have another state case that I just connected plaintiff and lawyer together today on that we will make public if it happens.

So if you like what we are doing, donate AND pass the word along. We need every gun owner in MA knowing who we are and what we are doing. That doesn't happen unless you folks spread the word and tell your friends on all forms of social media and in person. Tell your club too. Memberships are given to those who donate $50 (comes with a slick challenge coin this year) and for those who donate more than $1K in one year there are more exclusive benefits.

Wow, talk about getting jammed up. This sounds like a good case to take on and right a few wrongs. Go get 'em, tiger!

PS my challenge coin arrived yesterday; it's looks even better in person.

So in this case when the defendant (Chief Scott and The Town of Pepperell) loses this case the town will be on the hook for the legal fees? If this is so I love it.

I don't love it. It means I'm paying for this case from both sides.

Do the taxpayers of Pepperell know their chief is wasting their money on an issue that is complete BS and he's going to lose. You would think they have higher priorities. The chief should be embarrassed.

What does paypal take for fees on donations?

If i use the portal from my employer, i see this message:

Note: Silicon Valley Community Foundation (SVCF) processes and passes through all gifts made through the platform in monthly bundles; payments can take 6-8 weeks to be processed. All donations made via PayPal or Credit Card will be listed as "SVCF" on your statement. Transaction fees will be deducted from your donations as follows: 2.8% for U.S.-based organizations, 3.9% for Canada-based organizations, and 5.85% for organizations outside the U.S. and Canada.

Why use a portal? - Its easier and quicker to process a corporate match when i use their portal. (So i give $100, my employer also gives $100)

As would be all town taxpayers. So they should keep aware or be informed of how money is wasted in the town and do something about it. Run for office. Petition to get the appointed money wasters out. Get involved.

As would be all town taxpayers. So they should keep aware or be informed of how money is wasted in the town and do something about it. Run for office. Petition to get the appointed money wasters out. Get involved.

Even worse! Atty Keith Langer told me that he sued a town. Talking with 2 selectmen in said town, neither ever knew that the town was sued (and said discussion was 6+ months after Keith filed suit)! So somehow thinking that taxpayers should know about such things when the people who pay the bills (selectmen) don't is idealistic at best.

Even worse! Atty Keith Langer told me that he sued a town. Talking with 2 selectmen in said town, neither ever knew that the town was sued (and said discussion was 6+ months after Keith filed suit)! So somehow thinking that taxpayers should know about such things when the people who pay the bills (selectmen) don't is idealistic at best.

The general procedure when a town is sued is the papers are forwarded the the town attorney with the instructions "handle this". Counsel then goes into auto pilot mode, preparing a defense - and never even raising the question "should this be defended or should we conceed?".

Natick spent close to $14K defending the suit about the heathen devil weed, which the town lost. My guess is that there was never a thoughtful discussion with the selectmen and police chief asking "is it really worth the money to defend this?".

As a resident, would it be worthwhile for me to contact the Board of Selectmen to bring it to their attention?

The general procedure when a town is sued is the papers are forwarded the the town attorney with the instructions "handle this". Counsel then goes into auto pilot mode, preparing a defense - and never even raising the question "should this be defended or should we conceed?".

Natick spent close to $14K defending the suit about the heathen devil weed, which the town lost. My guess is that there was never a thoughtful discussion with the selectmen and police chief asking "is it really worth the money to defend this?".

This is one of the huge problems with government in general. All sorts of things are proposed and executed without doing good cost-benefit analyses.

That's why activists should contact the selectmen directly and via a letter to the editor of the local paper informing them of the lawsuit and how much money is going to be wasted...

As a resident, would it be worthwhile for me to contact the Board of Selectmen to bring it to their attention?

Yes. Contact them AND write a letter to the editor. The public cannot go WTF over wasted money if they do not know it is being wasted.

So somehow thinking that taxpayers should know about such things when the people who pay the bills (selectmen) don't is idealistic at best.

Yes, this is maddening.

The people who pay the bills, selectmen, actually do pay the bills. Before bills can be paid and checks go out, they have to sign the payables warrant for all expenditures on the town side. As part of that package, they would see the detail attached (who is being paid and why).

They just did not pay attention, although I don't even give them that much credit. They obviously were not doing their jobs, or they lied.

In any event, yes the taxpayers get porked again.

Looks like this is exactly what is happening in this case. Here is my response from the BoS' admin assistant:

Good afternoon:

Please be advised that this matter has been referred to our legal counsel for review and recommendation.

Looks like this is exactly what is happening in this case. Here is my response from the BoS' admin assistant:

You should remind them that you will be sure to bring up the costs of this (and any other lawsuits afterward) during the public town meetings.

Maybe. Mass Rules of Civil Procedure 4(d)(4) require service to be made on the treasurer or town clerk. Normally the Selectmen hire and control the town counsel, so the papers should be forwarded by him/her to the selectmen who would forward to counsel. Of course the treasurer or clerk might do this directly, but to me that represents inefficiency and lack of communications in the town offices, and typical laziness and ignorance on the part of town officials to coordinate the workings of town hall.

Maybe. Mass Rules of Civil Procedure 4(d)(4) require service to be made on the treasurer or town clerk. Normally the Selectmen hire and control the town counsel, so the papers should be forwarded by him/her to the selectmen who would forward to counsel. Of course the treasurer or clerk might do this directly, but to me that represents inefficiency and lack of communications in the town offices, and typical laziness and ignorance on the part of town officials to coordinate the workings of town hall.
Mass rules of civil procedure don't apply. This is a federal case.

This is one of the huge problems with government in general. All sorts of things are proposed and executed without doing good cost-benefit analyses.
Sure there is.

- How much will it cost?
- How much will it benefit the town attorney?

Last edited:

Based on some of the other posts in this thread, the selectmen may not even know this is going on. Why not get on the agenda for the Selectmen's meeting and ask them why the town is wasting money on a suit that they are likely to lose? Maybe they will ask the TM and police chief some questions.

Back
Top Bottom