*Update* How I got my restrictions removed!

So I did it. Figured I'd post a "from start to finish" of the nonsense and maybe it will help someone out, maybe not, but it's worth I shot.

I applied for my LTC in Chicopee this June, Their interview process was a joke, barely got to say two words, didn't take my letter of reasoning why I needed a LTC and more importantly why I needed an unrestricted license (Future armed security). It was over fast and he said I wouldn't have a problem getting it, pick it up around 90 days. Smfh. I even asked him about restrictions before I left and he said "You got the license don't worry about it." Finally came the 3rd week of Sept, and sure enough I had a target and hunting restriction. I asked the cop that handed to me about it, and was told, EVERYONE gets it no matter what... Renew in a few years and you'll be good. So I left feeling defeated. Soon after I moved to Burlington and after changing my address, the confusion started.

I called Burlington PD and asked their licensing officer about getting my restrictions removed. He said NO PROBLEM, we set up a meeting and everything was good. Calls me back later that day after printing my record which has some negative marks on it from 7+ years ago, and told me he couldn't remove my restrictions, we talked and offered me an employment restriction. So I took the offer and hung my head. Calls me back the next day and tells me that he can't make the changes, Chicopee owns my license until I renew. Makes sense. My fault for not reviewing the rules or asking someone first. I thank him and move on to calling Chicopee PD. NOW the fun starts. I call the Chicopee PD and fill them in on the details. . . Start to ask about restrictions, then I was abruptly told "You life in Burlington now, you're not in my jurisdiction, Burlington PD needs to do it.... *click*"

TO NES! I make a post asking for some advice and get a ton of it. Get the licensing authority explained to me and that, Yes, it is up to Chicopee to handle it. So I call them back. Different officer, same response but less rude. The more I tried to correct it, the more annoyed he got in telling me I was wrong and it was on Burlington now, so I hung up. I had sent an Email to Comm2A asking for some advice and was told that having Chicopee expire my license and applying in Burlington might be my best option... So I called Chicopee... Again. And asked about expiring my license... And was told "You can't do that. You have to wait until you renew, or it gets revoked...." So I ask does that mean Chicopee still owns my license, and he confirms it. I ask if he can help me with my restrictions.... "Nope Burlington has to do that." SIGH. Few more phone calls and I find someone who knows what's going on. Tells me Employment restriction is no problem I just need an employer to write a letter for me saying I need it for a job.

After many applications, and not getting anywhere once I mention my license has restrictions, I make an appointment with the Chief. I explained my problem to him on the phone and he sounded open to the idea. I was told to bring in any paperwork that shows I NEED my restrictions removed and letters of reference if I could. I'm in the National Guard and had my commander and readiness NCO write up letters confirming my training in weapons proficiency, but what tipped the scales for me was a stack of job listings that all stated "A Class A LTC Unrestricted required." I dressed nice, showed up for my interview early, annnnnnnnnnnd the Chief wasn't there. He had a LT do the interview with me who was very helpful. He went over my paperwork, read the job listings. I emphasized that I've been out of work and an unrestricted license would open up a bunch of job offers to me. He told me the chief wanted to make sure that I'm aware of some common handgun law; When you can use deadly force, can't protect property, ect ect ect. After a 20 minute interview he told me the chief had given him the ability to make the call and that I proved my case well. He went into the computer and changed my restrictions for me while I waited. Now I'm just waiting for the new one to come in and I'll be golden.

I understand this situation won't play out like this for every one, and not everyone has a military background to back them up. BUT If you were trying to get into a job where an Unrestricted LTC is needed, you might be able to substitute my military weapons training with something on the civilian side. Massachusetts Firearms School's "Understanding Massachusetts Fireams Law" or a different class that focuses on Mass law and the proper use of deadly force might help you. Go in there well dressed, and well prepared. Give them a SOLID reason for NEEDING your license removed, show them you're more than capable of handling a firearm, and prove you know state law and you could be walking out a free man.

It's sad that lawful citizens need to jump through hoops to have their rights honored, BUT if they want you to jump through some hoops. Jump through them like you're running from your mother in law and safety is on the other side of that hoop.

Support organizations like Comm2A and GOAL they're doing a lot for us and they need your support.

Hope this helps someone else out. Good luck guys, and thanks for all the congrats and good advice.

Last edited:
Good luck. Are you going it alone or did you lawyer up?

Going alone. I'm poor. He seemed open on the phone. Had no problem getting him on the line. Going to have someone at my unit write me up a letter of recommendation. That, my 214, fingers crossed, and hopes and dreams. I'm trying Yup get work doing armed security. Infantry doesn't leave me qualified for much more, but I can't even get someone to look at my resume when I need them to write me a letter for an employment restriction...

Don't know much about Chicopee, but plan your response if he says "Great, Mr. Haxx, I'll change your restriction from sport/target to employment. Will that be all?"

Good luck.

Printing up job listings that all state LTC Class A Unrestricted. I'm aware I'm fighting an uphill battle, but oh well. I'm an expert marksman and my letter from my unit will reflect that. I'm thinking I got a 20% chance of ALP, 30% employment, and 50% nothing happens

Good luck. I hope to at some point get my restrictions removed, before I renew.

At least the Chief is willing to meet. Something tells me that if I wanted to meet with the actual Chief where I live, it would be a flat out, NO.

And I'm in Burlington now. But Chicopee is my licensing authority. I also talked to the chief about expiring my license and applying in Burlington, but where I own firearms we both said that having no license for a 3 month wait is a nogo. I'll read that post.

And I'm in Burlington now. But Chicopee is my licensing authority. I also talked to the chief about expiring my license and applying in Burlington, but where I own firearms we both said that having no license for a 3 month wait is a nogo. I'll read that post.

So if you live in Burlington, why are you applying in Chicopee? Where does the 3 month wait come into play? I'm missing something. Burlington is listed as a green town.

I can shoot a rifle like no ones business. I'm shaping my handgun skills now that I have my own. My military career
Has been heavily focused on rifle and machine gun. Rarely had to shoot a sidearm.

- - - Updated - - -

Chicopee is still my licensing authority. They own my license until I renew. Burlington can't touch it unless I have Chicopee expire my license and reapply in Burlington. I'd have to be without my license for however long it takes to issue me a new one

So if you live in Burlington, why are you applying in Chicopee? Where does the 3 month wait come into play? I'm missing something. Burlington is listed as a green town.

Chicopee has to cancel his license early. They have no legal liability to cancel his license early if they don't want to. That is why the OP is asking for a restriction removal.

Haha if I get my restrictions sorted and a job... Yeah I'll be there. Need money for a rifle lol.
I'm a pharmacy tech but the board of pharmacy is backlogged and dicking me on my state certification. I can't win in this job market

I'm from burlington. They gave me unrestricted with no problem. Can you Apply for burlington while your other permit is still active? Maybe there is a way to overlap. Maybe you could transfer your firearms to another person while burlington is in the works. I'd rather that hassle then a restricted license

I'm from burlington. They gave me unrestricted with no problem. Can you Apply for burlington while your other permit is still active? Maybe there is a way to overlap. Maybe you could transfer your firearms to another person while burlington is in the works. I'd rather that hassle then a restricted license

Nope. Can't do that.

I'd like to just throw a thanks out there to NES as a whole. Wealth of knowledge to be had and this meeting with my chief comes from advice from NES members and Comm2A. Glad to be here, hopefully one day I'll be knowledgeable enough to help out some people the way I've been helped. :)

And I'll be checking out local shooting matches and shoots... o_O once I learn to find them........

Oh and while I COULD hand off my admittedly small collection to a friend, I'd rather not. At least with an employment restriction full time carry could be justified if I was on call...... As a cop friend worded it to me.

I can shoot a rifle like no ones business. I'm shaping my handgun skills now that I have my own. My military career
Has been heavily focused on rifle and machine gun. Rarely had to shoot a sidearm.

Best of luck getting the restrictions removed. I don't know you and I may be out of line but I would leave any statement similar to what you wrote above out of your conversation with the licensing officer. My experience has been that if you have an unrestricted license in a red town it's because you've shown cause for it. The officer will no doubt be looking for a level headed, rational thinking person. If you talk about shooting and your training without the officer specifically asking, you may come across as a 'gun nut' or he might think of you as someone 'looking to shoot.' Since you already have your license, the officer knows you can shoot. Concentrate on why you need/want the restrictions removed.

Damn, that's awesome. I wish my Chief or licensing officer was as understanding. [thinking] Good work and congrats! Hopefully your new LTC comes in quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

I forget too, how long were you away from actual renewal in Chicopee? Or were you up for renewal anyway? I forget the original story now.

Back
Top Bottom