• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Update CMP M1911s

See this is why we are up against
No matter the price of the 1911s they will have buyers with deeper pockets with gotstohavits so bad. Watch the bidders list on cmps auctions you see a lot of the same buyers.
Right now you can buy a SG HRA or SA for $730 yet here is a dinged up new wood SA SG with some rust in the bore
http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/detail.asp?id=4267&n=M1-Garand-Service-SA-5860826

Snippet from new email I just received:

Concerning sale price of the 1911s: CMP has been selling M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, 1903s, .22s, etc. for 21+ years and we have never taken advantage of anyone. CMP is not going to start price gouging people now with the 1911s. The 1911s will be priced at fair market value just like our M1 Garands. The CMP's enabling legislation directs sales of items at fair market value.

Snippet from new email I just received:

Concerning sale price of the 1911s: CMP has been selling M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, 1903s, .22s, etc. for 21+ years and we have never taken advantage of anyone. CMP is not going to start price gouging people now with the 1911s. The 1911s will be priced at fair market value just like our M1 Garands. The CMP's enabling legislation directs sales of items at fair market value.

now people go out and look at any US property marked 1911/11a1 and tell me what you can get readily for $1000
Anyone out there getting WWII dated us property 1911a1 in service grade condition for $1000 give me a PM i will make you some money.

cmp for the most part for the bulk mail order items has been historically lower than out in the general public. Heck just look at the NES classifieds M1 garands are $1200 plus theres a 308 special cmp throw together for almost $500 more than you can buy them from the cmp for?
Good luck people the fact that CMP cant run as a regular FFL Dealer and use the current Federal laws and regulations to sell these pistols is more of problem to me. I just hope theres no BS in the special circumstances that can bring the entire cmp to a full stop if XYZ happens

cmp for the most part for the bulk mail order items has been historically lower than out in the general public. Heck just look at the NES classifieds M1 garands are $1200 plus theres a 308 special cmp throw together for almost $500 more than you can buy them from the cmp for?
Good luck people the fact that CMP cant run as a regular FFL Dealer and use the current Federal laws and regulations to sell these pistols is more of problem to me. I just hope theres no BS in the special circumstances that can bring the entire cmp to a full stop if XYZ happens

That's because CMP is the "price driver" for M1s. They are the only readily available source so they set the "base price" of them and dealers sell them for a profit over that price.

Realistically, CMP will be the "price driver" for older 1911s too with similar results.

I didn't see anything about no sales to certain states based on state laws, will the 01's in Mass be legally able to transfer to an 03 or a regular LTC holder?

MA Dealers can't transfer them to anyone in MA. Maybe to 03s in 2021, that remains to be seen. But CMP has stated (and I'm referring to both Orest and Johnson) over time in the CMP forums that they won't sell anything illegal or questionable to states that have restrictions. MA definitely has restrictions and nobody should expect to get a 1911 from their local MA Dealer via CMP.

Seems like we have to wait to see what starts coming out of Vietnam era vets closets as they start to fully retire and liquidate some of those gun collections.

I buy stuff from MA dealers all the time with my 03. What are you talking about they can't? Its FFL to FFL, no MA transfer involved.

He’s saying MA dealers can’t receive these from CMP and then sell/transfer them to MA residents - 03 or not. They’re not on the “list” so a dealer cannot sell them in MA....

He’s saying MA dealers can’t receive these from CMP and then sell/transfer them to MA residents - 03 or not. They’re not on the “list” so a dealer cannot sell them in MA....
Make it easier CMP will not send any pistols to MA as thier policy is no shipments to restricted states. MA has the "list"
Same reason cmp won't ship ammo links or AP among other items. It won't be long before cmp puts out a list of states it will not ship be it policy , law or back room orders from those pulling the charters strings

MA does not recognize the FFL3. Transfers are done through the LTC between individuals. I can buy any C/R out of a MA shop with the FFL3, but they can't be brought in if not on the MA list.

T

meaning you have to register it once you own it

The 03FFL transfer is one of the most misunderstood laws in Mass. Even the local BATFE agents don't understand. I am sure that Len can add to the conversation. Bascially since MA doesn't recognize the 03 (for now) a dealer has to treat any transfer like a sale to an LTC

If that were the only law then you wouldn't need an LTC to buy a gun you would only have to register it. Also if that were the only law you could have an 03 with no LTC but to get your 03 in Mass you have to have a LTC. IF the FRB wanted to mount a sting they could send someone to a dealer with an 03 and LTC and buy a gun with a straight transfer, they would get the dealer on not doing the background check, 4473 and eFA10. It is like the speed liimit is 65 and most people don't follow it, most dealers will do a transfer to an 03 but there are some who actually follow the law.

REMEMBER per the BATFE rules you have to follow ALL laws regarding purchases of guns in your state, that includes the list. THAT is why I helped Timilty put in the law exempting 03FFLs from the list as of Feb 2021 (thank you Dems for putting it off) so any C&R gun can be bought by an 03 from any dealer regardless of it's being on the list or previously registered in Mass.

Its unclear for certain.
The Plymouth county agent (forget his name) said as far as he understood MA FFL03 can buy CR firearms where ever its both federally and state legal to do so. As far as he figures it
Buying a CR handgun out of state and bringing it to mass is not illegal as you are not a dealer and you are not acquiring it to sell it. Purchaseing CR in state has its own confusion. Either way "legally" ma need to Fa10 regulations? Followed with a " now if you end up in mass courts anything and everything will be used to hang you legal or not" then I'm not a lawyer so take this as opinion.

Just remember as of 2021 you can buy them and they should be selling for the next 10-12 years. BUT even in 2021 will CMP ship to MA 01's?
I seriously doubt that CMP will make "variable rules" for their sales as it is just too much work on their part.
Variable rules would equal - no sales to a LTC holder in MA w/o a C&R FFL.
Variable rules would equal - allow sales to MA LTC holder who also holds a valid C&R FFL but ship to 01/02/07 for final background check and pick-up BUT require MA Dealer NOT to transfer as FFL to FFL (03) but do it with full 4473/NICS/eFA-10

-----------------------------------------

And I doubt that most MA Dealers currently transfer C&R guns to MA C&R FFL holders, ignoring the EOPS List. AND DISCUSSION ABOUT THOSE THAT MIGHT CAN EASILY END UP WITH FEWER DEALERS IN MA WHERE YOU CAN BUY GUNS. So please drop that discussion here and elsewhere. Thank you.

Just remember as of 2021 you can buy them and they should be selling for the next 10-12 years. BUT even in 2021 will CMP ship to MA 01's?
Its the general understanding cmp will not be shipping 1911s to MA because of "lists and rosters" . In protest by another M1!

I'm sure I've missed it since I haven't been following too closely - but how does this differ from the scenario of Pre-98 10/21/98 Glocks? Several pre-98 Glocks are transferred into MA. These 1911s are obviously pre-98.
Just food for thought.
Thx!

I may be wrong but on the Glocks or any gun not listed don't they have to have been previously owned AND registered in Mass in order to be transferred, not just that they are pre-98?

I may be wrong but on the Glocks or any gun not listed don't they have to have been previously owned AND registered in Mass in order to be transferred, not just that they are pre-98?

If they are on the EOPS List (Glocks are), then they do not have had to be in-state on 10/21/1998. Non-EOPS List guns must have been in-state on that date to be grandfathered.

Len
I thought it was on or before, i.e. a gun could have been registered in MA with the FRB and then left the state and is now coming back. Carl has always sold Smiths due to them being built here and on their books before '98

Len
I thought it was on or before, i.e. a gun could have been registered in MA with the FRB and then left the state and is now coming back. Carl has always sold Smiths due to them being built here and on their books before '98

I guess to tack on to this - prior to this influx of CMP 1911 discussions, were FFLs transferring in any GunBroker (or the like) purchased Remington Rand (or Ithaca, whatever) 1911 "US GOV'T PROPERTY" marked 1911s, against the law? They were/are FFL01 to FFL01 transfers. Should I be keeping my mouth shut?.. I don't have a 1911, but I'd really like one to go with my Garands.

Sorry for asking what must be a dumb question.. I've just been out of the loop for so long lately.

Edit: Is a Remington Rand 1911A1 the same thing as a Remington Arms 1911R1? (I obviously know the answer to this question is no.)
If it quacks like a duck...
If it's black and killy... then it must be an AW...

Last edited:
Len

That's the way most dealers did it. But IIRC, the exact wording of the law, I think it had to be in-state on that date . . . but I haven't looked at that level of detail in a long time. [It might be that I'm confusing this detail with the bogus unsigned/undated memo which indeed claimed that pre-ban anything had to be in-state ON 9/13/1994 to be legally pre-ban (it's BS). So it is worth it to look at the exact wording which I'm not going to do at this hour.]

I guess to tack on to this - prior to this influx of CMP 1911 discussions, were FFLs transferring in any GunBroker (or the like) purchased Remington Rand (or Ithaca, whatever) 1911 "US GOV'T PROPERTY" marked 1911s, against the law? They were/are FFL01 to FFL01 transfers. Should I be keeping my mouth shut?.. I don't have a 1911, but I'd really like one to go with my Garands.

Sorry for asking what must be a dumb question.. I've just been out of the loop for so long lately.

Edit: Is a Remington Rand 1911A1 the same thing as a Remington Arms 1911R1? (I obviously know the answer to this question is no.)
If it quacks like a duck...
If it's black and killy... then it must be an AW...

FFL 01 to 01 transfers were always exempt.

It looks like these 1911s aren't being sold by the CMP.

They are being sold by a new organization CMP 1911
CMP 1911 is an FFL governed operation and is a separate entity from CMP and has to have its own record keeping operation with no ties to the old CMP records.

New organization is for the new "gun control" record keeping and accountability reporting for use in any crimes. Cuz gangbangers fill out and send C&R application forms to the ATF and COP.

Back
Top Bottom