Update: 1863 US Bridesburg - Restoration Underway, Pics

Have to admit, I have very little knowledge of black powder firearms. But I knew enough to pick this one up for $160 OTD.

It's an 1863 US Bridesburg .58 cal Civil War musket, subcontracted by Bridesburg Machine Works, owner Alfred Jenks & Son of Pennsylvania, for the Springfield Armory. It is built on the same specs as the 1861 Springfield, with a few minor changes such as the barrel band springs.

This one isn't going to be operational any time soon. The hammer retaining bolt is broken, rear sight is missing, and ramrod is absent. The nipple is quite deteriorated, middle sling swivel is gone, has a pinned stock repair behind the hammer, and spiders made a home in the bore (may have had rifling removed?). But it does still set in both half and full cock positions.

Markings are VP over eagle head on the left rear barrel. The 1863 stamp on top of the barrel is all but pitted away. U stamps on the barrel bands, and US marked buttplate are legible. And the lockplate is still fairly crisp, with 1863, Eagle Stamp, and US Bridesburg present. The stock cartouches seem to be sanded away, but overall, the wood is quite nice.

Anyway, I've rambled on enough. Pics next, and thanks for looking.

USBridesburg_001.jpg

USBridesburg_002.jpg

USBridesburg_003.jpg

USBridesburg_004.jpg

USBridesburg_006.jpg

USBridesburg_007.jpg

USBridesburg_008.jpg

USBridesburg_009.jpg

USBridesburg_010.jpg

USBridesburg_011.jpg

USBridesburg_012.jpg

USBridesburg_014.jpg

USBridesburg_015.jpg

USBridesburg_016.jpg

USBridesburg_017.jpg

USBridesburg_018.jpg

USBridesburg_019.jpg

USBridesburg_020.jpg

USBridesburg_021.jpg

USBridesburg_022.jpg

USBridesburg1_001.jpg

USBridesburg1_002.jpg

USBridesburg_002.jpg

USBridesburg_001.jpg

Last edited:
I have a similar Bridesburg I bought from Reid's a few years back. Very similar in condition to yours.

The question becomes, do you try to repair or leave as is. My suggestion is to leave as is. Too many items to repair and unless you spend a lot of money it will look like an old gun with a lot of new parts. If you are into spending a lot of money then get a gun in better shape.

The good thing is, it makes a great wall hanger with plenty of history.

Good luck either way!

Last edited:
I have a similar Bridesburg I bought from Reid's a few years back. Very similar in condition to yours.

The question becomes, do you try to repair or leave as is. My suggestion is to leave as is. Too many items to repair and unless you spend a lot of money it will look like an old gun with a lot of new parts. If you are into spending a lot of money that get a gun in better shape.

The good thing is, it makes a great wall hanger with plenty of history.

Good luck either way!

I'm not one to think that I can make it better by adding repro parts. Sight bases and nipples are available, but they will look rather out of place. There are still original hammer screws available, and I may make that attempt to replace it, since the hammer falls off every time I tip it to the right.

But the value of relics like these is in the "as found" state of original parts, IMO. Trying to revive it to shooting status, or by making it more correct, just kills its history.

This one survived 150 years without any breechloading upgrades, etc. It deserves the right to hang on the wall as a Civil War survivor.

I would not go the length to make it a shooter - looks like no rifling left. I would look for those few original parts to eventually 'complete' the image.

T

Last edited:
A lot of these were converted to smooth bore shotguns by owners who privately bought them after the war. Though a lot were shortened, but seen some full length as well.

That's what happened to my M1839/55 Prussian rifled musket. Rear sight knocked off and rifling reamed out you had a 12-gauge shotgun.

T

Every once in a great while, a restoration effort is worth the undertaking.

This may, or may not, be one of those worthy endeavors, but the U.S. Bridesburg now has an original hammer retaining screw, middle band with sling swivel, ramrod, rear sight base (broken leaf), and a clean-out plug that is in slightly better shape.

It will probably take another 150 years for them all to look perfectly matched in patina! But it beats the heck out of replacing with repro parts.

It is satisfying. The middle band is somewhat off color, as the corrosion is far more advanced. And the ramrod does have some serious pitting. But still, far better than nothing! Now, to search out an original sight leaf.

B-BurgRestore_001.jpg

B-BurgRestore_002.jpg

B-BurgRestore_003.jpg

B-BurgRestore_004.jpg

B-BurgRestore_006.jpg

B-BurgRestore_007.jpg

B-BurgRestore_008.jpg

B-BurgRestore_009.jpg

B-BurgRestore_010.jpg

B-BurgRestore_011.jpg

B-BurgRestore_012.jpg

B-BurgRestore_001.jpg

Looking better! You have a trumpet ram rod from a M49 smoothbore; you need a tulip shaped end for a M61 rifle musket. Now get a repro leather sling and distress/age it and your're good to go on the wall!

T.

Last edited:
Looking better! You have a trumpet ram rod from a M49 smoothbore; you need a tulip shaped end for a M61 rifle musket. Now get a repro leather sling and distress/age it and your're good to go on the wall!

T.

Drats. I was hoping it was right!

Nice!

Where did you find the rear sight? Looking for one myself.

I bought an entire donor musket. It appeared to have gone through a fire, though it wasn't charred. Still smells rather smokey. I'll reassemble the remains and take pics. Pretty far gone except for the stock, and I was EXTREMELY fortunate to rescue the parts I needed without breaking them. Soaking them for a week in PB Blaster did the trick.

An update.

Found some decent (repro) sight leafs, a better conditioned middle barrel band, and a proper bayonet. Still need a proper ramrod and a sling, but it's coming together well.

63_B-burg_001.jpg

63_B-burg_005.jpg

63_B-burg_006.jpg

63_B-burg_004.jpg

63_B-burg_009.jpg

63_B-burg_002.jpg

63_B-burg_011.jpg

63_B-burg_003.jpg

Almost there! Did you fix the lock?

T.

Yes. The lock still functioned, but it had a crack in one side of the bridle. So I purchased an original bridle and installed it. With a new nipple, the gun could become fully functional again. But it would be a shame to remove the nipple that has been there for what appears to be well over 100 years.

It'll be a nice wall hanger!

I'd go over the metal with some 0000 steel wool to knock of the biggest chunks of rust then rub the whole thing down with an oily cloth. It won't hurt anything and the oil will reduce the rusty look and keep the rust from growing.

Nice job. Wish it were mine !

Back
Top Bottom