• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Upcoming Appleseed Events

Mods, forgive me if you think this is the wrong area to post this, but, I want to reach as many folks as possible.

We have a few Appleseed Events in the area this year, and I'd love to see a big bunch of NESers attend. Best chance to get good training on how to shoot a rifle effectively for a reasonable price and short travel distance.

Furlong, PA Appleseed: April 14, 2007 - April 15, 2007

Hartford CT Appleseed: April 21, 2007 - April 22, 2007

Long Island NY Appleseed: April 28, 2007 - April 29, 2007

Van Etten NY Appleseed: May 26, 2007 - May 27, 2007 Outside Watkins Glen

Langehorne PA - Applessed: September 29, 2007 - September 30, 2007

I'll be attending the one in Hartford, CT and the one in Van Etten, NY. Anybody care to join me?

Last edited:
Nickle, I'm going to move this to Training, where it really belongs, but I will leave a "shadow" in GD.

Could you please describe exactly what this is about. I'm sure that there are others, like myself, who do not know what an "Appleseed event" is.

Thanks and welcome back.

Need a better description of what is an "Appleseed Event". I thought it had to do with Johnny Appleseed and was going to be around Fitchburg/Leominster area.

Johnny Appleseed

Edit: Len and I must have been typing at the same time. (-:

Check out the RWVA Forum:
http://www.rwva.org/yabbse/index.php

Here's a thread on what to bring:
http://www.rwva.org/yabbse/index.php?topic=886.0

A list, less details:

#1 most important thing.... A teachable attitude.

#2 Bring 5 empty magazines. Don't load them ahead of time, you will be shooting a particular course of fire. If you have an M1, you will need 8 shot clips and 2 shot clips, or a substitute for that.

#3 A ground cover.

#4 Elbow pads (optional).

#5 A hat.

#6 A little note book and pen.

#7 The standard list of no brainers... Sunscreen, eye protection, hearing
protection. Double protection is recommended.

#8 Lots of water. You'll need it.

#9 A light lunch.

#9b Snacks.

#10 Bring a Rifle, this is extremely important. More details on the RWVA thread above. .22's are OK. Bring a spare, in case. Make sure it's easily reloaded, mag changes are part of the program. Scopes are OK. Bolt guns are OK. Scoped sporting bolt guns might be an issue reloading during the timed events.

#10B Know how to adjust your sights and bring the tools to do it.

#11 A folding chair or similar.

#12 Bring a sling for your rifle, a USGI type works best.

#13 Be prepared for any kind of weather.

#14 Stuff to clean your gun.

#15 Wet wipes for your hands.

#16 Some kind of bug spray.

#17 Bring plenty of the SAME KIND AND BRAND OF AMMO.

#18 Ibuprofen or Tylenol.

#19 As others have said, getting Fred's Guide To Being a Rifleman in advance and practicing would be a great help. You'll have the basics under your belt, and know the targets and course of fire.

#20 A shooting jacket could really be a help. I don't like them myself, but some folks do. I use a BDU or ACU shirt and LBV, but I believe in Battlefocused Training (remember where I work).

#21 Know which eye is your dominate eye. Might save you some frustration.

#22 Staple gun and staples. Speeds up the course. Make sure to mark it with your name.

My addition to this list - Bring a friend, bring a few friends.

I suggest if you have any questions, ask me, crak or Derek. We're all RWVA members, and can find your answers.

Last edited:
Nickle, I'm going to move this to Training, where it really belongs, but I will leave a "shadow" in GD.

Thanks, that works for me.

I'm going to be adding details during the course of the day.

Sorry for my absence. NES is blocked at work, and I've been busy during my off time lately. Now gunshow season is cranking up again, so, I'll be busy the next month and a half.

Here's the registration form:

Please note, kids (under 18) and military exempt from fees per RWVA guidelines.

2007 Nationwide Appleseed Tour Registration
Print this form out and mail to RWVA, POB 756, Ramseur, NC 27316 with
$45/one day or $70/two days (circle one)
(Age 20 and under shoots free) A small additional Range fee may apply at the door.

Event Location You are Registering For _____________________

Name: _____________________________________________

Birth date: ____________ email _____________________________

Street Address: ______________________________________

Town: _____________________ State: ________ ZIP: ___________

Phone: (Area code) ________(number) ____________________

[ ] Yes! I want to sign up with RWVA to satisfy the CMP club requirement. Enclosed is $20 for RWVA associate membership!

For special squadding, circle if you are: NoR, FALer, Surplusrifle.com,
M-14 Forum, AR15.com, Etc. Northeast Shooters

(If you don't know, skip)

I will be coming with friends. Please make sure you squad me with:

Tell us your skill level at present (no fibbing - we want you to get the most out of attending!):

_____Absolute newbie

_____ Been a little while, got some rust...

______ I have my rifle cleaned, lubed, and zeroed

_____ Crack shot, want to learn to teach, rarin' to go!

_____ YES! I plan to camp overnight, AVAILABLE North Carolina ($10 per night). (Electricity and portajon, no water)

If signing up for one day, which? ____Saturday ____ Sunday

If signing up for both days, what is your t-shirt size? _______________

If you want a confirmation of your registration, please send a SASE!

Last edited:
From RWVA's website:

So, what exactly is the Appleseed Project?

In the early 1800's, one man traveled the Northwest Territory (now known as Ohio), planting Apple orchards all along the Ohio river. His efforts helped our fledgling country to gain a toehold in the wilderness and his fellow citizens to maintain their independence. His name was Jonathan Chapman, otherwise know by posterity as Johnny Appleseed, and his spirit lives on. Now we're using his example as an inspiration to help accomplish something even more important.

More than two hundred years ago, our hard-won liberty was protected by the readiness of the average citizen, equipped and trained to stand in defense of our nation. No enemy could hope to prevail against such a force - and so, no enemy tried to do so. Today, few are ready and our liberty is being threatened by those who care only about power and control. The survival of our Republic is at stake and we must work together to assure that freedom continues to triumph over despotism.

RWVA is launching a nationwide effort to rebuild America as a Nation of Riflemen. Instead of Apple trees, the goal is to plant the Spirit of the Rifleman. It is time once again to sow the seeds of the Tree of Liberty in every town, village and city of America. This is our new Appleseed program.

With your help, we'll spread the American tradition of practical rifle marksmanship across our great land. We'll work together to find or create the facilities and resources to allow every able and willing citizen to learn to shoot a rifle safely and well close to home. We'll help each other gain the skills and equipment needed to defend our country, if the need arises.

We will establish again what once stood as the primary protection of our unalienable liberties. Once again, trained citizens will stand ready in every city, town and village across America, equipped and trained to defend their homes, their families and their communities against those who would take away our birthrights.

More information is coming in the days and weeks ahead. Meanwhile, we need your input and suggestions about we can best achieve our goal.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, we need your willingness to volunteer your own time and energy to help in this vital work.

If you want to be an active part of Project Appleseed, we'll help you get started! Contact Fred or me for information!

Fred is Fred from Fred's M14 stocks. Those of you that read Shotgun News probably know who I'm talking about.

We are not a bunch of militia types, nor a bunch of "tin foil hatted nutjobs". Several of us are NES members even. We're just a bunch of Battle Rifle enthusiasts that are concerned with the direction the country is headed and trying to do our part educating folks as to their rights, and giving them the tools to defend themselves, their family and country by bringing back the skills the founders of this country had.

Want to learn how to shoot that M1 (or other Battle Rifle)?

Want to learn to shoot a rifle effectively?

Want to get your sons or daughters professional grade education on the fine art of marksmanship?

Concerned with the direction the politicians are taking the country, and the constant attack on our rights?

Want to spend a couple of days networking with fellow military rifle enthusiasts?

Then attend an Appleseed.

Last edited:
If I actually get a rifle by then I may join you - I would be checking off the "newbie" box. I ran across the RWVA site a number of months ago - they have a neat program there.

Roger, I will try and make the Hartford shoot - me & Betsy. I'll have to try and see if I can get my nephew and his GF along.

Problem: AFAIK, Ben & Liz do not have any rifles yet. I have a 10/22 that they can use, and a friend has left a tube-fed Marlin .22 with me for safekeeping - will that be sufficient, or do I need to look for a surplus rifle or two (purely so my nephew and his GF will have something to shoot, you understand!)?

Ross, I was about to offer you my 10/22 until I read your post a little more clearly and saw you had some already. Yes, 10/22s are perfect. My little brother went through the weekend with one of mine and got a lot out of it. Tube fed is a litle less than perfect because you can't really do mag changes (fire 2, change, fire 8). But if it's their first time out, there will be plenty for them to chew on (position, sight alignment, trigger squeeze, etc) without worrying about mag changes anyway.

Last edited:
Ross, I was about to offer you my 10/22 until I read your post a little more clearly and saw you had some already. Yes, 10/22s are perfect. My little brother went through the weekend with one of mine and got a lot out of it.
Well, I only have one. My buddy's rifle (which I hope he's going to be taking back as soon as he gets his LTC) is a Marlin with a tube magazine. Will that one do? And I may need your 10/22, anyway, if Bob gets his LTC before April!

Yeah, I was editing about tube feds while you typed that. Tube fed should be 99.99% fine if it's a beginner shooter (assuming it holds 10 rounds). There's enough to worry about! [smile]

Roger, I will try and make the Hartford shoot - me & Betsy. I'll have to try and see if I can get my nephew and his GF along.

Problem: AFAIK, Ben & Liz do not have any rifles yet. I have a 10/22 that they can use, and a friend has left a tube-fed Marlin .22 with me for safekeeping - will that be sufficient, or do I need to look for a surplus rifle or two (purely so my nephew and his GF will have something to shoot, you understand!)?

Seems like I might have something Liz might like, if it doesn't get spoken for beforehand. As I remember, she fell in love with my AR and Dave's SKS. Either would work well for an Appleseed.

I haven't a clue what I'll get to take for myself, especially if the Upstate NY event is really close to me. Well, I can always use my 1903 or M28 Mosin. The Mosin is actually a Rifleman's gun, the guy that got the highest number of kills as a Sniper for all time used an M28 Mosin Nagant with iron sights. I will bring it with me, even if I don't use to demonstrate to folks that they don't need "bells and whistles" to get the job done.

Seems like I might have something Liz might like, if it doesn't get spoken for beforehand. As I remember, she fell in love with my AR and Dave's SKS.
Wrong Liz... you haven't met this one. Ben's going out with a girl named Liz, and she shoots, too. [smile]

Would an Armalite AR 30 be considered a battle rifle? Don't think any are in miltary use.

Would an Armalite AR 30 be considered a battle rifle? Don't think any are in miltary use.

You should go check out the RWVA website - as long as you think that the AR-30 would work for you during the course then I think they would not mind:

http://www.rwva.org/

Some of the previous posters in this thread mentioned using Ruger 10/22's - which is definitely not a "battle rifle" - so I think your AR-30 would probably work.

The short answer is everything works! The idea is to learn to shoot whatever you have already.

Caliber is a non-issue. As long as it groups at 25 yards, you're fine. 100 yards even better, and 200 yards would be best.

Semiauto is nice, but people bring bolt guns and get a lot out of the weekend.

Mags/Clips are nice, but people bring tube fed rifles and get a lot out of the weekend too (My father went through some of it with a Henry lever rifle). Just load up what you can and shoot your best.

The AQT course of fire that we do at appleseed is timed and does involve mag/position changes, but the object of the weekend is not to singlemindedly fit everybody into that rigid little box. People are allowed to keep shooting after the buzzer rings. The instruction is flexible.

Just make sure your rifle works, has at least a rough zero, and is cleaned and lubed before you get there. That's the most important thing.

Well, I'm for sure going to be at Hartford.

I've been roped into being a worker. Not that it's a bad thing.

Come down and join us for a good weekend of excellent instruction on getting the most out of your rifle.

I know some of us have M1 Garands and 1903 (or 03A3) Springfields. Learn how to use them.

Got an old military rifle? Bring it, they work well, too. That .303 will get the job done, better than you think.

Need an update to this subject.

Would love to do something like this at our club, but can maybe do 12, 16 tops, stations at a time on our rifle range

Any resources for how to put one of these events on?.

You've outdone yourself, Coyote33.

You've replied to a TEN YEAR OLD THREAD. [bow]

Go to www.rwva.org to request a shoot. OR reply to a more recent thread.

WTF cares? OBVIOUSLY, I don't look at the date, nor do I care. It is on here, and the forum is searchable. Maybe you should try the search function yourself some time. I tried the Appleseed site, and someone else has already replied from NES. I guess I'm all set for now. Thanks anyhow. [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom