Unrestricted LTC in MA, but moving to Little Compton, RI

We're building a home in Little Compton. I will need a RI carry permit and an out of state LTC for MA (I've had an unrestricted resident LTC in MA for many years). What is the best way to go about this? Would it help my cause to apply for an out-of-state RI permit until the house is complete and then apply for the resident permit when we move? Does Little Compton give any trouble with issuing? Does having a MA LTC make it easier to get the out-of-state for MA? I'm getting frustrated thinking about it and want to reach out to anyone who has gone through this process for some guidance.

Of course, none of this should be necessary. Hopefully, we'll have permitless carry in our lifetimes, but I suspect MA/RI will be the last states to allow it...bastards.

Get a resident LTC in RI after you move. Once you have that, notify MA as required about your move. That will crap can your MA LTC. Good luck on the nonresident MA license.... I understand they are very difficult to obtain... Not impossible, but far from easy..

Try reaching out to Sakonnet River Outfitters in Tiverton and A&M Tactical in Middletown to ask if they know of any issues with Little Compton's licensing. Little Compton as I'm sure you know is one of RI's smallest towns in terms of population and I've never heard of issues in the ten or so years I've been paying attention.

Moving out of state and having previously had a MA LTC, seems to increase your odds of getting a non-res LTC without restrictions in my experience.

I would recommend you note that you formerly held a MA LTC, understand applicable laws, yada, yada, yada on your application.

Lol, no, it doesn't . Depends on your issuimg authority. If the issuing authority doesn't expire the license, it remains valid until expiration. EOPS "policy" may not like this but that doesn't change reality.
Exactly. There is no provision in MGL to expire the license other than for cause. When you move the license will show valid until it expires of natural causes. If you run a verification, it will show your new out of state address.

Hmmm,.... IF they don't.... That's comforting... Thanks for that clarification.... :rolleyes:
Let me put it this way in the recent past I'm not aware of any given town that instantly expired a license of somebody moving out. Most of them just press the button and change the address (like crackpot wisely indicates) and that's the end of that and expiration usually doesn't happen absent some special circumstance. The "EOPS snuff film desires" nostrum is not part of the law either so there's nothing to support expiration. When in doubt call your issuing authority for clarification.

Of of course I will add the caveat that if somebody is dumb enough to ask for their license to get cancelled in their change of address notification letter they might end up with their wish granted....

... When in doubt call your issuing authority for clarification.

Of of course I will add the caveat that if somebody is dumb enough to ask for their license to get cancelled in their change of address notification letter they might end up with their wish granted....
LOL, talk about two ways of saying the same thing.

"Calling your issuing authority for clarification"
ranks right up there with asking the teacher about
what happened to that quiz we were supposed to have today.

LOL, talk about two ways of saying the same thing.

"Calling your issuing authority for clarification"
ranks right up there with asking the teacher about
what happened to that quiz we were supposed to have today.
It's not going to hurt anything. I have first hand reports from one gentlemen (an MA expat who still has to drive into MA) where his former towns LO told him flat out "as far as we're concerned your license is valid until it's expiration date"

ETA: to qualify this... would I bother to ask? ask? No, because I know the answer. And i would just use the validation portal. And my towns LO is busy enough I don't need to bother him with mindless crap, but if someone is a pant shitter, it likely won't hurt.

Thanks all. I think getting the RI permit in Little Compton shouldn't be much trouble...my father and brother got one no problem. It's just all the hoops I need to jump through again that's annoying. The real question is whether MA will give an out-of-state permit. I would hope so because I've had an In-state LTC for many years and I'll continue to work and spend a lot of time in MA. It would drive me bananas living near the border and being able to carry on one side and not the other. At least I'll be able to buy an AR...*knocks on wood*

Thanks all. I think getting the RI permit in Little Compton shouldn't be much trouble...my father and brother got one no problem. It's just all the hoops I need to jump through again that's annoying. The real question is whether MA will give an out-of-state permit. I would hope so because I've had an In-state LTC for many years and I'll continue to work and spend a lot of time in MA. It would drive me bananas living near the border and being able to carry on one side and not the other. At least I'll be able to buy an AR...*knocks on wood*

Sakonnet River in Tiverton should be able to qualify you for the RI shooting test for the carry permit application. Closest gun clubs, if you're looking to change, are Tiverton Rod and Gun, Newport Rifle (in Middletown), and East Warren Rod and Gun.

Bonne chance!

Congratulations. Little Compton is a beautiful rural, coastal town that is being over-run with liberal New York a**h***s.

Highly recommend A&M Tactical in Middletown, as suggested above.

If you’ve had no issues with your resident LTC and process, I wouldn’t expect any issues with getting a non-resident. The challenging points will be the time it takes to obtain, the annual renewals (although those no longer require you to appear in person each year, I think only every 5 years??), and how you articulate the reasons needed for an unrestricted license.

Sakonnet River in Tiverton should be able to qualify you for the RI shooting test for the carry permit application. Closest gun clubs, if you're looking to change, are Tiverton Rod and Gun, Newport Rifle (in Middletown), and East Warren Rod and Gun.

Bonne chance!
Oh, I go to their range already, though it's been a bit. I'll ask them!

Congratulations. Little Compton is a beautiful rural, coastal town that is being over-run with liberal New York a**h***s.

Highly recommend A&M Tactical in Middletown, as suggested above.
Unfortunately, that's the case in many areas...even Texas is being flooded with CA people right now. I have many liberal friends and have been able to convert them to being pro-gun by simply bringing them to the range and teaching them a bit. If they are open to it, I highly recommend trying!

Back
Top Bottom