"Unregistered" Guns?

In God We Trust

NES Member
As anyone who has ever checked can tell you, when you run your name through the system to see what guns you own, there are usually discrepancies.

Guns I have sold via EFA-10 are still listed as belonging to me and guns I have bought are not listed.

Is there anyway that someone can get jammed up for carrying a gun that is not "registered " to them? Are there any cases of this happening? I tried to google it but didn't find anything.

It seems to me that the whole system is useless.

just say "what if," don't you get copies of your efa-10 transfer? i do and file them on a thumb drive just in case. then i do this...
Don't give it a second thought. Jack.

I've always assumed that their uselessly inaccurate records would work in the gun owner's favor if it ever came down to it.

As anyone who has ever checked can tell you, when you run your name through the system to see what guns you own, there are usually discrepancies.

Guns I have sold via EFA-10 are still listed as belonging to me and guns I have bought are not listed.

Is there anyway that someone can get jammed up for carrying a gun that is not "registered " to them? Are there any cases of this happening? I tried to google it but didn't find anything.

I can't imagine why Healey would _not_ bring the long arm of state-sponsored thuggery down on gun owners for this. There would be no downside for her.

1. The firearms of good chunk of the total number of gun owners in MA could be confiscated in a high-profile series of raids to keep kids safe and remove these dangerous military-style weapons from our streets. The victims would be unsuitable at the least and many would ultimately become prohibited persons. The fawning local media would portray the victims as extreme dangers to society. This alone would play enormously well for Healey politically.
  2. It would send the message those who did not get jammed up were on borrowed time since they would run the serious risk of being netted in some later bureaucratic treachery--driving the point home gun owners are not welcome in the state. As a media campaign this would also play extremely well in MA.

Healey would then be a shoe-in for governor, a replacement for Markey, or a cabinet position in the next Democratic administration--something for which she was angling in the not-to-be Hillary Administration.

Friend of a friend had a nosy doctor (his fault) call the police on him as a potential suicide recently.
Cops showed up, no 72 hour hold, but they asked permission to take his firearms for a week. He and his family obliged (dumb).

One of the firearms taken was a freshly built AR, not registered to anyone. He got everything back at the end of the week (lucky), and they paid the unregistered AR no mind. They were much more interested in a pre ban, legit Norinco AK47.

When the friend called me during the middle of the ordeal, I told him his friend would be lucky to get anything back and was probably ****ed 7 ways to friday, all of which were his fault.

Moral of the story - No one knows. The one cop that pays no mind could easily be the super cop that does. They could charge you with something that makes no sense or they could miss the three things youre actually guilty of. The best advice I ever got was to stay the **** away from them and dont put yourself in a situation theyre looking at you to begin with.

Keep good records of all purchases, registrations and sales. But I'm not paranoid. Maura would never try to take my guns.

Moral of the story - No one knows. The one cop that pays no mind could easily be the super cop that does. They could charge you with something that makes no sense or they could miss the three things youre actually guilty of. The best advice I ever got was to stay the **** away from them and dont put yourself in a situation theyre looking at you to begin with.

Yup, just stay off the Stasi's radar.

Or... Move to a free state.

WHAT? I thought we didn't have registration in MA (/sarc)

I can't imagine why Healey would _not_ bring the long arm of state-sponsored thuggery down on gun owners for this. There would be no downside for her.

1. The firearms of good chunk of the total number of gun owners in MA could be confiscated in a high-profile series of raids to keep kids safe and remove these dangerous military-style weapons from our streets. The victims would be unsuitable at the least and many would ultimately become prohibited persons. The fawning local media would portray the victims as extreme dangers to society. This alone would play enormously well for Healey politically.
  2. It would send the message those who did not get jammed up were on borrowed time since they would run the serious risk of being netted in some later bureaucratic treachery--driving the point home gun owners are not welcome in the state. As a media campaign this would also play extremely well in MA.

Healey would then be a shoe-in for governor, a replacement for Markey, or a cabinet position in the next Democratic administration--something for which she was angling in the not-to-be Hillary Administration.

And she hasn't done this because she knows she is on real shaky legal ground and doesn't want it tested in court. This is why NOBODY has been jammed up with this "assault weapon" malarkey since she first laid it out on 07/20.

And honestly, she isn't really interested in anybody actually going to trial over this. Her ultimate goal was to shrink/dry up the supply of what she terms "assault weapons" in MA, and she has effectively been able to do this, just by threatening the dealers.

Much the same way as was done with internet ammo sales to MA back in the day. There is no real law, that I am aware of, banning any business from shipping ammo from an internet sale to somebody in MA. However, the AG years ago sent letters to sellers of ammo threatening them with massive fines if they shipped to MA, and most complyed and will no longer ship here. Healey just followed the playbook mthat worked so well with ammo, and she was successful with it.

Registration is irrelevant, as long as you handle it by the letter of the law. Like if you move here you're not required to register anything, but if you build a gun as a Mass resident you are. Just owning a gun that isn't registered is fine. But the state welcomes you to voluntarily register, of course.

As far as the eFA-10 sales records, those are messed up in all kinds of ways. As far as I know guns are never removed from a owner's record, just added. Not to mention all the paper FA-10s that were lost in the fire/floor/whatever that was 10+ years ago.

And she hasn't done this because she knows she is on real shaky legal ground and doesn't want it tested in court. This is why NOBODY has been jammed up with this "assault weapon" malarkey since she first laid it out on 07/20.

And honestly, she isn't really interested in anybody actually going to trial over this. Her ultimate goal was to shrink/dry up the supply of what she terms "assault weapons" in MA, and she has effectively been able to do this, just by threatening the dealers.

Much the same way as was done with internet ammo sales to MA back in the day. There is no real law, that I am aware of, banning any business from shipping ammo from an internet sale to somebody in MA. However, the AG years ago sent letters to sellers of ammo threatening them with massive fines if they shipped to MA, and most complyed and will no longer ship here. Healey just followed the playbook mthat worked so well with ammo, and she was successful with it.
If that's the case, she has already won.

Registration is irrelevant, as long as you handle it by the letter of the law. Like if you move here you're not required to register anything, but if you build a gun as a Mass resident you are. Just owning a gun that isn't registered is fine. But the state welcomes you to voluntarily register, of course.

As far as the eFA-10 sales records, those are messed up in all kinds of ways. As far as I know guns are never removed from a owner's record, just added. Not to mention all the paper FA-10s that were lost in the fire/floor/whatever that was 10+ years ago.

IIRC those were the old style blue-cards not FA10 and it happened over 20 yrs ago. Prior to that the records were already a mess as all the PDs had boxes of them sitting in the station waiting to be filed. It was also pre-AWB. At that point MA hadn't gone FR about guns yet. So there was no sense of urgency to file them.

No. Simply carrying an unregistered gun, by itself, is not a crime under MGL.

Good luck finding any case law anywhere near related to this issue, too. (eg, for things like failure to report a transfer. )

-Mike

Healey is like a cockroach, she doesn't want any light shed on her activities. The courts could undo all her work.

Healey was waiting for a Hillary packed USSC to start prosecuting to set a national precedent for bans by fiat and confiscation. That didn't happen so she moved onto jousting other windmills.

Last edited:
They created this asinine registration scheme, they can keep track of it. I'm missing a bunch of FA10 copies for various reasons (some the seller never emailed to me, some I lost, etc) and don't give it a second thought.

Best answer. Since moving in with guns does NOT require registration per MGL, it's all anti BS when "possession of an unregistered gun" is played up by PDs and media.

Messed up yes. Never removed from owner's record yes. Flood was a very long time ago (~20 yrs would be close) and only about 30K records (blue card private transfers only) were lost.

IIRC those were the old style blue-cards not FA10 and it happened over 20 yrs ago. Prior to that the records were already a mess as all the PDs had boxes of them sitting in the station waiting to be filed. It was also pre-AWB. At that point MA hadn't gone FR about guns yet. So there was no sense of urgency to file them.

Please advise what PDs had them?

They have ONLY ever been sent to the MSP. Yes, they had boxes everywhere until 1998 when they were computerized.

Healey is like a cockroach, she doesn't want any light shed on her activities. The courts could undo all her work.

Well said. A FAIR court (none to be found in MA) would screw her to the wall over her BS, so she rattles sabers but doesn't prosecute anyone.

Why would you have to own the gun your carrying?

Friend of a friend had a nosy doctor (his fault) call the police on him as a potential suicide recently.
Cops showed up, no 72 hour hold, but they asked permission to take his firearms for a week. He and his family obliged (dumb).

One of the firearms taken was a freshly built AR, not registered to anyone. He got everything back at the end of the week (lucky), and they paid the unregistered AR no mind. They were much more interested in a pre ban, legit Norinco AK47.

When the friend called me during the middle of the ordeal, I told him his friend would be lucky to get anything back and was probably ****ed 7 ways to friday, all of which were his fault.

after a suicide in the family all guns where seized.... The BS out of the investigators mouth when they told us they where not going to release all the guns was just stupid. A phone call from our attorney to the Chief settled this quickly...oddly the detective on the case seemed to declare all the nice valuable guns "illegal" not long after he was removed from his job for stealing and selling evidence....karma baby.

I really can;t be bothered reading all these posts so I apologize in advance if this was covered.

There is no law in MA requiring registration of firearms.

what list?

I really can;t be bothered reading all these posts so I apologize in advance if this was covered.

There is no law in MA requiring registration of firearms.

I don't know which post is funnier.

If you would like a list of all the firearms you have owned (subject to incompetent handling of the records) follow this link:

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/personal-search-request.pdf

spt, you're correct that there is no law requiring registration, so they call it something else. Only it amounts to pretty much the same thing.

If your license ever gets denied/revoked/suspended, you can expect the police to show up with a list. They'll give you a hard time about anything that's on their list that you don't "surrender". They'll also refuse to return anything that isn't "registered".

Back
Top Bottom