Unofficial, Informal Mini Appleseed at BRP for members?

nip

A discussion/piqued interest got started on the Harvard Appleseed thread that a mini be held at BRP. Just a roll call here to see who is interested in joining. So far it seems to be GrendelKahn, Nicole, DTR, snorider48, and me.

What weekends/dates would work for us? This weekend I'm out as I've got trail building at the Middlesex Fells to work on (anybody mountain bike here?) and then other activities planned for Sunday. But May 2nd? Or the following week?

Just some ideas. I'd love to keep sharp with this.

As an addendum... some flexibility will have to be built-in: The closest we can currently shoot there is 50 yards (unless the other ranges are open now). Further, I should think informal would be the way to start to see how things run with a few of us who have already been through this - then we could start to advertise a bit more around the club to get other members interested.

nick

Last edited:
I'm in for whatever. I agree, keep it flexible.

I believe we can shoot 22 on inside ranges - and the new indoor range might be 25yards. Just a thought...

Rock on, Nick! Thanks for getting this going. +1 for you.

If you can only shoot at 50 yards, an easy way to do that is use the 100's as 200's for sitting and the 200's as 400's for lots of prone practice. Standing doesn't really need much work to be good enough to hit 100 and if you're used to shooting 400 yard targets 300's will be easy. [smile]

I am interested but am currently working to get my new 10/22 (bought last weekend) in shape..... Lots of stuff on order and coming in over the next couple of weeks.....;- )

Am complete noob to this but it sounds like fun.... Do I need anything other than the 10/22?

I am interested but am currently working to get my new 10/22 (bought last weekend) in shape..... Lots of stuff on order and coming in over the next couple of weeks.....;- )

Am complete noob to this but it sounds like fun.... Do I need anything other than the 10/22?

Liberty Training Rifle Thread

You'll also want at least four magazines, some sort of ground cover (carpet remnant, shooting mat), eyes, ears and an open mind.

A discussion/piqued interest got started on the Harvard Appleseed thread that a mini be held at BRP. Just a roll call here to see who is interested in joining. So far it seems to be GrendelKahn, Nicole, DTR, snorider48, and me.

What weekends/dates would work for us? This weekend I'm out as I've got trail building at the Middlesex Fells to work on (anybody mountain bike here?) and then other activities planned for Sunday. But May 2nd? Or the following week?

Just some ideas. I'd love to keep sharp with this.

As an addendum... some flexibility will have to be built-in: The closest we can currently shoot there is 50 yards (unless the other ranges are open now). Further, I should think informal would be the way to start to see how things run with a few of us who have already been through this - then we could start to advertise a bit more around the club to get other members interested.

nick

Depends on when - availability can be an issue for me. Also, is it OK for non BRP members?

Depends on when - availability can be an issue for me. Also, is it OK for non BRP members?

I'm sure one of us could sign you in as a guest (each member is allowed 1 guest per month at BRP).

And as for the rifle... no need to do too much. A sling and tech sights are the best additions. I have a bone-stock rifle other than those items (and also a Volquartsen bolt buffer) and was perfectly fine at the Appleseed this past weekend. It's a 10/22 after all. Don't spend more on options than the rifle is worth. [wink]

nick

I'm sure one of us could sign you in as a guest (each member is allowed 1 guest per month at BRP).

And as for the rifle... no need to do too much. A sling and tech sights are the best additions. I have a bone-stock rifle other than those items (and also a Volquartsen bolt buffer) and was perfectly fine at the Appleseed this past weekend. It's a 10/22 after all. Don't spend more on options than the rifle is worth. [wink]

nick

I've got the rifle, I meant MY availability [laugh] I've got a lot of family stuff going on that can limit my free time.

I really wanted to go to the Harvard Appleseed but the Saturday was already spoken for.

I've got the rifle, I meant MY availability [laugh] I've got a lot of family stuff going on that can limit my free time.

I really wanted to go to the Harvard Appleseed but the Saturday was already spoken for.

Ha. Sorry about that. I should have broken up the two quotes. I was actually referring to BobJ with regards to the rifle. [smile]

nick

Thanks.....

Have 1 10 rnd mag (came with the gun) and 4 more on order....

Took it out last sunday and shot 250 rounds or so using the normal bbl break in (shoot, swab etc)... Should have everything in a week or so (nothing backordered)....

Couldn't do this weekend anyway since I have a scout activity on Sat and was planning on going to the Bourne gun show Sunday....

nick

Someone could bring a guest, but per BRP rules a member and his/her guest may not shoot at the same time. I would suggest bringing this up at a members meeting for an exception.

Depending on the dat, I would be interested. I am a BRP member.

Not personally interested but support any/all safe shooting sports at BR&P.

A few rules/facts you need to be aware of:

- You need permission from the BOD to do this. If raised at a general membership meeting, I would expect that the president would rule that it be brought up at a BOD meeting.

- It needs to be scheduled, as many events occur at BR&P and the BOD's job is to make sure that no conflicts exist between planned events.

- As someone pointed out, BR&P rules are that a member can bring a guest but can't occupy more than 1 shooting position. Thus, w/o permission as an "event", you can't do what you are proposing.

- BR&P ROs are volunteers and as such sometimes real life gets in the way and thus the outdoor range isn't open. For events, the BOD will ensure that RO coverage will be there adequate to make sure that the event will happen safely, as scheduled.

- I don't know if the OP is a BR&P member but some of what was stated makes me think he/she isn't real familiar with BR&P ranges/rules. "New" indoor range is 33, 50 and 75' and .22RF rifles can be shot in 3 positions. "Old" indoor range is strictly 33 and 50', TTBOMK you can't shoot prone in there (I've never seen low target holders). Outdoor rifle range is 50/100 yds and you can shoot all 3 positions. Number of shooting stations are 15-"New", 8-"Old" and 10-outdoor.

- As I've stated a few times over the past few days, the outdoor pistol ranges are still closed until the contract is bid out, contractor picked and work completed. My guesstimate (NOT based on any info from club) is mid-late July is likely.

Hope this helps.

- BR&P ROs are volunteers and as such sometimes real life gets in the way and thus the outdoor range isn't open. For events, the BOD will ensure that RO coverage will be there adequate to make sure that the event will happen safely, as scheduled.

If BRP allows the event, RSOs usually are provided as their duties and the line calls are specific to the event. Not that they are entirely unique or anything, but IMO it makes things easier if the people working the event know what the course of fire and the protocols for an Appleseed are. The BOD may feel the need to have a club member as RSO, or someone that's specifically in the rotation, just to cover liability, but I would guess that the rest of the personnel would be provided.

Bassturd, I would guess that you are correct about Appleseed bringing their own RSOs but I can also say from the club-side that if a BR&P RO isn't there, it isn't going to be allowed to happen. It won't be a problem if they get BOD approval however.

Amen! [smile]

I'm the OP and while I am a member, you're right, I haven't fully researched all of the rules yet. Originally my idea was to have a few members just meet in a non-organized fashion and shoot together and maybe critique each other. It's become a bit bigger than that at this point. And while I want to hold a fully official mini Appleseed I think right now just a few members meeting to shoot is probably the better baby step. I knew that if we wanted a bigger, official group that I'd have to present it to the BOD. I was trying to avoid that initially so we could feel out how things went in an informal fashion. A full-on mini will require a bit more scheduling and coordination. I'd be happy to do that, but as I said, let's start it off small for now.

Hopefully I haven't offended anybody yet if for now it's just our private, little club. And I apologize for maybe mis-titling this thread. Perhaps I should make an edit. :D

And for the ranges... was again, unclear - when I stated 50 yards I was only thinking of meeting at the outdoor range.

nick

Last edited:
Nick, sorry if I misunderstood your intention. And no, I took no offense. I was just trying to clarify what was available, what the rules are and how you'd go about getting a club-sanctioned event.

An informal get-together of members is a fine thing, nobody will have a problem with that and scheduling (as far as the club is concerned) is not a problem . . . just check the online calendar AND the rifle + CMP activities for any range conflicts.

I'm sure that the BOD would also give the OK if asked, it just requires a lot of planning and coordination on the sponsor's part.

Any member can shoot at 100 yds on the outdoor rifle range . . . or any mix of 50 and 100 yds as the target stands are there at both distances.

Back
Top Bottom