• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

University of Texas Campus Carry

Garys

NES Member
University of Texas at Austin to allow students to carry handguns on campus

(CNN)Students at the University of Texas at Austin will soon be allowed to carry handguns on campus.

University of Texas President Gregory Fenves approved Wednesday the guidelines for gun owners in light of a recently passed state law allowing guns on campuses.

"I have thoroughly reviewed the policy recommendations of the Campus Carry Working Group and decided to adopt them," Fences said. "Under the law, I cannot adopt a policy that has the general effect of excluding licensed concealed handguns from campus."

In 2015, the Republican-led Texas Legislature voted to allow guns within buildings on public college campuses throughout the state.

The bill requires a university president to adopt and implement the law. Open carry on campus is still prohibited. According to the University of Texas at Austin, since the law says you have to be 21 before applying for a concealed carry license, fewer than 1% of students will qualify for a license to carry a concealed weapon in classrooms or academic buildings.

Panty wetting hysteria at the link. I didn't see any mention of the part where any licensed person can carry, not just students.

And liberals everywhere screamed out in horror then suddenly went silent.
...or at least I wish they would go silent.
Man, what a pipe dream to have that here in MA.

And liberals everywhere screamed out in horror then suddenly went silent.
...or at least I wish they would go silent.
Man, what a pipe dream to have that here in MA.

What I don't understand is if we've gone through a thorough FBI background check to get licensed, why isn't that enough to at least have campus police work with LTCers.

It's not up to the campus police. I believe that the law requires written authorization from the President of the college or university.

What I don't understand is if we've gone through a thorough FBI background check to get licensed, why isn't that enough to at least have campus police work with LTCers.

"But the move by the University of Texas is controversial. In October, CNN reported more than 280 professors and counting have signed a petition calling the new legislation a "direct assault on our free speech rights."
But we don't give a damn about your Second Amendment rights

CNN conveniently omits that there are 3,000 members of the faculty there. So, less than 10% signed the petition.

By assault on their First Amendment Rights, the petitioners mean their ability to insult and denigrate anyone with whom they disagree. Because mouthy liberal douche nozzles are less likely to threaten people who they know are armed.

"But the move by the University of Texas is controversial. In October, CNN reported more than 280 professors and counting have signed a petition calling the new legislation a "direct assault on our free speech rights."

It's not up to the campus police. I believe that the law requires written authorization from the President of the college or university.
Exactly. Our best bet is to work on a campus by campus campaign to get petitions to try and change school policy instead of MA law

Right. Because if someone says something I disagree with, my response is going to be to whip out a firearm. WTF. [banghead]

In 2015, the Republican-led Texas Legislature voted to allow guns within buildings on public college campuses throughout the state.

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say they voted to repeal the prohibition AGAINST campus carry, since activities are presumptively legal unless made illegal?

Because they STILL believe that every gun owner is a criminal on the verge of a rampage.

Until that perception changes you are always going to be "that odd guy" that likes firearms.

Correct. And not going to happen in MA. I tried it many years ago since I was friendly (1st name basis) with NU's president, numerous VPs and the chief of campus police, so figured to give it a shot. Answer was a resounding NO! Then I joined the police department and no longer needed a permission slip! [laugh]

------------------------------

There will not be any more college shootings in TX!! The perps will go elsewhere as they'd be afraid of being confronted by someone who might be able to defend themselves.

Correct. And not going to happen in MA. I tried it many years ago since I was friendly (1st name basis) with NU's president, numerous VPs and the chief of campus police, so figured to give it a shot. Answer was a resounding NO!
It always will be.

Any administrator who answers YES is warranting your behavior with not only their job but their career in academia.

No such risk exists for an administrator supporting a gun ban.

Note the hospital situation - LTC holder stops a violent felon; reaction is to double down on carry bans (at least one hospital is extending their toothless ban to include off duty police)

I read an article about the protests at UT when they were trying to get campus carry passed. The moonbats were claiming that allowing people to have guns on campus was a violation of their 1A rights because they wouldn't feel comfortable debating others in class with whom they disagree, since they don't want to risk angering someone with a gun[rolleyes]. Funny, because they already stifle free speech on campus via PC, safe spaces, microaggressions, and using the student conduct code to silence anybody who dares share an opinion different than the liberal mainstream.

Back
Top Bottom