• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

University firearms training

What are the chances of seeing this at a MA university?

Online firearms educational tool receives funding for development and implementation - News

ShootSafe extends existing programs to achieve three primary educational goals:
  • Teach children the knowledge and skills they need to hunt, shoot and use firearms safely;
  • Help children learn and hone the critical cognitive skills of impulse control and hypothetical thinking needed to use firearms safely; and
  • Alter children’s perceptions about their own vulnerability and susceptibility to firearms-related injuries, the severity of those injuries, and their perceived norms about peer behavior surrounding firearms use.

I went to college at a land-grant university out west, where the .22 range under the gym got a lot of use from all sorts of students. The university offered several marksmanship classes (for PE credit), usually taught by whatever qualified ROTC instructor happened to be serving there.

At the time I took the class, there were three separate courses offered in increasing difficulty. All the instruction was tactical; the ROTC NCO in charge was taking a break between Delta tours and knew... quite a bit, let's say, about pistol marksmanship. We'd show up a couple afternoons a week, shoot el Presidente drills for a couple hours, then the upper-level students would clean the firearms and we'd end up with a grade and credit at the end of it all.

All the guns were Ruger .22 autos.

MIT still has their on campus range. The other's in the Boston area closed in the 80s due to airborne lead concerns. Northeastern, BU, Wentworth, and Tufts had indoor ranges. Harvard's is HPD only now. Either Simmons or Emanuel (women's colleges) had ncaa rifle teams until recently. The other schools do have trap teams at ranges outside the city.

BPS teams used to shoot matches at the BGRA.

Boston also had a rod and gun club somewhere into the 50s. Not sure where it was.

We used to have a pistol range downstairs at the Whoopi Tech gym until the early 80's - the WPI Rifle & Pistol Club competed in the Worcester County league, & the really good shots did inter-collegiate with MIT & the service academies... It was one of the biggest clubs on campus & even have an FFL professor....

Gun clubs are one thing. I am glad to hear the the club in Lowell is still going. Academic faculty at a university getting a $2mil grant about shooting safety that will actually teach shooting and hunting safety rather than run, hide and tell an adult becasue guns are bad is something else. I was surprised that I was surprised. I must not have purged myself yet of all my massasheepisms.

From the article it sounds like a good program. But online training can only do so much without hands-on experience. Under the tutelage of a competant instructor.

I would withhold final approval until I see how it actually works.

I took riflery and smallebore classes in college for PE credits. Shot in the basement range in the ROTC building

In college I was taught how to shoot the M-16 and the S&W Model 15 revolver.

I then became an instructor and range officer for other students in the .38 revolver.

MIT still has their on campus range. The other's in the Boston area closed in the 80s due to airborne lead concerns. Northeastern, BU, Wentworth, and Tufts had indoor ranges. Harvard's is HPD only now. Either Simmons or Emanuel (women's colleges) had ncaa rifle teams until recently. The other schools do have trap teams at ranges outside the city.

BPS teams used to shoot matches at the BGRA.

Boston also had a rod and gun club somewhere into the 50s. Not sure where it was.
NU had a .22 rifle range that students could sign up for at least until early 1970s. I remember walking in there and hefting one of the rifles, likely it was ~14#, put it down and decided not to bother getting any further info. There was also a ROTC range in another building that was so ratty that the range was shut down (lack of air flow issues). When I visited NU sometime in the late 1970s, the student rifle range had been converted to office spaces.

Wentworth didn't shut down their range until probably ~2010 as they continued after that at Braintree R&P and AFAIK probably still are at BR&P.

Boston State College (location is now Mass College of Art) had a rifle team as well.

Back in the 1970s+ the people who ran those programs at Wentworth and BSC were members of my first gun club.

Boston also has had a rod and gun club somewhere into the 50s. Not sure where it was.
FIFY.

100% lead free now; must buy ammo from them (though my understanding is that it was very reasonably priced before TEOTWAWKI; not sure if they even have any now)

FIFY.

100% lead free now; must buy ammo from them (though my understanding is that it was very reasonably priced before TEOTWAWKI; not sure if they even have any now)
I am a member at BGRA which was founded in 1976. The Boston Rod & Gun Club was a different organization which existed and probably ceased existing long before the BGRA was founded.

Edit: I went looking for it and seems the name was the The South Boston Rod & Gun Club. I had seen their old pins and memorabilia on Ebay. The club's last corporation filings were in the 1950s and the listed leadership died off around 1987.

Last edited:
We used to have a pistol range downstairs at the Whoopi Tech gym until the early 80's - the WPI Rifle & Pistol Club competed in the Worcester County league, & the really good shots did inter-collegiate with MIT & the service academies... It was one of the biggest clubs on campus & even have an FFL professor....
That where I first learned pistol shooting. During winter break there would be two weeks of fun classes. Skiing, cooking, ball rooom dancing and marksmanship, etc. officially called “Inter session courses” but referred to as “Intercourse sessions” cause engineers.

That where I first learned pistol shooting. During winter break there would be two weeks of fun classes. Skiing, cooking, ball rooom dancing and marksmanship, etc. officially called “Inter session courses” but referred to as “Intercourse sessions” cause engineers.
What does that say about most of us engineers? [laugh]

What are the chances of seeing this at a MA university?

Online firearms educational tool receives funding for development and implementation - News

ShootSafe extends existing programs to achieve three primary educational goals:
  • Teach children the knowledge and skills they need to hunt, shoot and use firearms safely;
  • Help children learn and hone the critical cognitive skills of impulse control and hypothetical thinking needed to use firearms safely; and
  • Alter children’s perceptions about their own vulnerability and susceptibility to firearms-related injuries, the severity of those injuries, and their perceived norms about peer behavior surrounding firearms use.
The most amazing part of the article:

"Researchers in the University of Alabama at Birmingham College of Arts and Sciences were awarded $1.95 million from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to develop and evaluate ShootSafe, an innovative and educational website accessible by smartphone, tablet or computer that engages children to learn firearms safety."

If CDC is funding the program while fully aware of the three "primary education goals" as outlined above, maybe there really is some hope (however slight) that firearms safety in the true sense of the word (versus prohibition) is recognized as a worthy goal by them.

I'll maintain a healthy level of wariness for now though, until I see more details.

Unfortunately, that went away before I got there in 92. It was still mentioned in some of the literature but when I went looking for it I found they replaced it with a "fitness center".

Now people freak out when they find a spent ram-set casing from construction on campus.

The most amazing part of the article:

"Researchers in the University of Alabama at Birmingham College of Arts and Sciences were awarded $1.95 million from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to develop and evaluate ShootSafe, an innovative and educational website accessible by smartphone, tablet or computer that engages children to learn firearms safety."

If CDC is funding the program while fully aware of the three "primary education goals" as outlined above, maybe there really is some hope (however slight) that firearms safety in the true sense of the word (versus prohibition) is recognized as a worthy goal by them.

I'll maintain a healthy level of wariness for now though, until I see more details.
Exactly And they will gamify the safety training. Could get popular.

Back
Top Bottom