• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Universal M1 Carbine

Just got a very nice deal on a great looking Universal M1 Carbine. Need to find some decent mags for it and I’ve heard the newer after markets and some kinds of mags don’t work well with these. Namely, the mag catch will only work with certain kinda of mags.

Anyone have any advice on what works for theirs? Anyone experienced a problem with the mag catch on theirs before? Anything else I should know?

Research the serial number on yours to see when it was made. From what I’ve read some production ranges are more desirable than others. While these don’t have an excellent reputation if you can get one to function properly you will have a very formidable carbine that you won’t have to worry about ruining any collector value. I’d try it with some vintage usgi mags

I've only used surplus 15 round and sometimes 30 rd USGI mags. I had a Universal carbine for a while about ten years ago, never had any trouble with the GI magazines, but I don't recall much about it, i.e., whether it was a later production model or not. I sold that one and got a CMP m1 carbine while they still had them in stock. Wish I had got a couple when I could ...

Theres still good availability on the original GI mags, i have some that are very worn,beat and bent and still do the job.
Theres also some coming out of korea that work fine.

Back
Top Bottom