Universal Depriming and Decapping Die

Anyone use one of the universal decapping dies?

Do they work well?
Are the really universal?

Thanks
Adam

Adam: I have an RCBS Univ. decapping die and it works well on both pistol and rifle cases. Only qualification is that you need the correct shell holder. (I was lucky because RCBS #3 shellholder worked fore both 45ACP and my 8MM mauser cases. Just make sure you dont try to decap a Berdan primed case as I did....I just bent rod back....

Cool thanks for the reply.

I am thinking of getting the inexpensive Lee single stage C press for a dedicated decapping station. I can get the press, universal decapping die, and shell holder pack that includes 11 shell holders, for $39.97.

I know this press will not be strong enough to do any reloading, or at least nothing heavy duty, but I think it will be worth it to not have to change the die out just for decapping in all my brass.

Thanks
Adam

Good to know...

I had a feeling that the Lee decapping dies would be setup like the pistol sizing die. Where the decapping pin will push back if it hits resistance not associated with normal decapping.

I know the press that I will be getting is a cheep one, but I like the fact that the entire front is open, so it will be easy to get the cases in, decapped, and pulled back out rapidly.

Adam

Adam_MA said:
Anyone use one of the universal decapping dies?

Do they work well?
Are the really universal?

Thanks
Adam

Adam,

Have had a Lyman Universal decapper die for several years now, and all my depriming (thousands of .308, .30-06, and 6.5x55) is done with this die. I use Redding Competition Die Sets exclusively, and have pulled the decapper rod out of all my resizing dies. Since I use bushings, none of my brass have ever had a resizing button pulled thru their neck, nor will they ever.

Don

Decapping tool

For years I used the Lee "hammer" decapping "tools" because that's about the only way I could get the heavily crimper primers out of old .30 cal cases. I recently got the Lee "Universal" decapping die, and it's the greatest thing since canned beer. It even pokes the primers out of that gawdawful Lake City crap that CMP is selling these days, and among it's myriad sins, the primers are VERY HEAVILY crimped. No ill effects on the decapping pin or rod.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

Thanks Tony!
I actually just put my order in today. Should be here in a couple of days!

Up to this point, I had been doing all of these operations on my progressive press. The full length sizing die also decapped the spent primer. The problem however is, that it's a pain in the ass to take the case back out to look at the primer pocket and flash hole, and clean them. I figure with the dedicated decapping station I can do it quickly enough that it won't feel like a burden, and I will be able to more efficiently clean the primer pockets, and flash holes for a more reliable round.

Another question, do you decap before you tumble your brass, or is that something you do after the case if clean?

Adam

I generally decap before tumbling and verify that the flasholes are clear before loading.

Rifle brass I re-tumble, with Corn Cob media, after sizing to remove any lube residue. Obviously, this isn't needed for pistol brass, assuming you're using a Carbide Sizer.

Adam - Don't run dirty brass through your resizing die. Pistol carbide dies are different, but don't do it for rifle ammo. The purpose of the decapping die is that the brass doesn't need cleaned. My brass gets cleaned twice - just before resizing (after decapping, reaming/cleaning pocket, cleaning flash hole, etc.) and after I've sized, trimmed and deburred.

Don't run dirty brass through ANY die, even a Carbide Pistol Die. It can scratch the die, and ruin it.

Pistol ammo, I tumble in Walnut Shells then size, flare, prime and load.

Rifle ammo, I tumble in Walnut Shells, size, tumble in Corn Cob (removes the lube), trim, deburr, prime and load.

I am using walnut media right now in a Lyman Turbo 1200 tumbler. Works like a charm.

You said don't run dirty brass through any die. Does that hold true for one of these universal decappers?

Adam

Adam_MA said:
I am using walnut media right now in a Lyman Turbo 1200 tumbler. Works like a charm.

You said don't run dirty brass through any die. Does that hold true for one of these universal decappers?

Adam

Adam,

Nah, dirty brass thru a universal decapper don't hurt anything since no sizing (die to case contact) is being done.

Don

Thanks..

Got my email back from Midway last night that my order has shipped. Should be here by Monday.

Adam

Back
Top Bottom