Unitarian Universalist Congregations @ MA State House on June 3

Heard about this group today.
Unitarian Universalist Congregation will be at the State House on June 3.

Action Day for Gun Violence Prevention – June 3
Posted on May 13, 2014 by Maggy Evans
Tuesday June 3
10 am at the State House

Help us show our elected officials that gun violence prevention matters to us and we are the ones who VOTE.
Join us as we call for more comprehensive gun legislation on the steps of the State House.
Participants will have the opportunity to meet with their respective legislators and make their voices heard

http://www.uumassaction.org/uuma/action-day-for-gun-violence-prevention-june-3/

Gun crime is so low in Massachusetts that they seem to have abandoned that argument and now focus mainly on suicide prevention and accidents with guns involving children (which is miniscule!). I suppose their hearts are in the right place but their logic and command of the facts are seriously flawed. And then there is the unspoken agenda from the anti gun leadership in that denomination that everyone should be disarmed based on the false premise that "guns are inherently evil and dangerous". However, they do seem to have some of the biggest and nicest looking churches around the state.

From what little I know about them it seems their ideology is based less about any relationship between man and God or a supreme being and more about social justice and secular issues here on earth. Not that that is necessarily bad but it seems more like philosophy (ethical humanism?) than a deity based religion.

Last edited:
Can we have a reasonable restrictions on 1st amd demonstration? What a bunch of hypocritical losers.

Those are the Moms Demand Yahoos too, they've been promoting June 3 for a state house rally for awhile.

Lol, I got shunned by a meditation group at one of these churches after I defended Reagan era military spending in the Cold War. Won't even get into how the topic came up, but I thought this 5 ft tall ex-nun looking lesbian was going to go for my throat after I'd had my say.

I have attended the Worcester UU church a few times but after growing up A Seventh Day Adventist, the UU seem like a dead dandelion blowing in the wind to me and I can't respect them as they claim to accept everything but believe, truly believe, nothing. I have tried and tried to offertoeducate them on gun laws and safety but they won't respond at all to my offers.

Theologically, the UU's are "everything goes". It's almost a catch all for folks from every other religion or non-religion out there. I know atheists that attend UU churches. That's fine. Whatever floats their boat. Most churches are about community anyway, and it gives people a community to belong to.

But when it comes to politics, UU's are off-the-charts liberal.

Ha. They have their own joke site, though:

http://firstunitariantoronto.org/what-is-unitarianism/uu-humour

Some gems.

Q: Why can’t UUs sing very well in choirs?
A: Because they’re always reading ahead to see if they agree with the next verse.

Visitors on a tour of Heaven noticed a group of Unitarian Universalists, who were arguing about whether or not they were really there.

Lisa: “What flavours do you have?”
Rev. Lovejoy: “Well, chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, and our new Unitarian flavour ice cream.”
Lisa: “I’ll have that” (Rev hands her an empty bowl)
Lisa: “But there’s nothing in there.”
Rev: “Eeeexactly.”

This is all they had (right above the 'Everytown' link):

Help us show our elected officials that gun violence prevention matters to us and we are the ones who VOTE.
Join us as we call for more comprehensive gun legislation on the steps of the State House.
Participants will have the opportunity to meet with their respective legislators and make their voices heard

What, exactly, are they proposing? Anyone know their plan to save the children?

I'd have more respect for anti's if they wanted to ban gun ownership across the board, government, cops, etc

It seems the UU people and this group are one and the same:

http://mapreventgunviolence.org/

The Coalition supports the following legislative priorities:

Universal background checks at point of sale every time a gun is sold, including private sales and gun shows.

Limit HANDGUN sales to one per month in order to deter straw purchasing and make it harder for gun traffickers to acquire multiple guns in a single transaction.

Share records of adjudicated commitments for mental health and substance abuse with the National Instant Check System as required by federal law

EXPAND the existing suitability standard that currently applies only to the issuance of a License to Carry to the issuance of FID cards as well.

Require law enforcement authorities to attempt to determine, every time a gun is involved in an injury or death, who owned the gun and where the gun came from; to maintain that data in a statewide database, and to share that data with public health researchers, policy makers, other law enforcement agencies and the general public.

There's a paragraph under each initiative, with an attempt to justify each.

I'm against gun violence, and I'd like to talk to me reps about that, so this sounds like a great opportunity! Since I've gotten exactly one reply to over 50 letters written to legislators.

Lol, I got shunned by a meditation group at one of these churches after I defended Reagan era military spending in the Cold War. Won't even get into how the topic came up, but I thought this 5 ft tall ex-nun looking lesbian was going to go for my throat after I'd had my say.
There are axe murderers in the Catholic church - doesn't mean the church supports axe murdering.

http://www.uua.org/giving/funds/142432.shtml

The universal Church members don't believe in God
... they're more interested in saving prisoners, promoting transgendered queers, gay rights conclusion coexistence not to forget worshipping Obama. They don't believe in a higher being they just worship themselves... I wouldn't be surprised if they have sausage sniffing nights

This was the religion I was brought up on. I have no use for organized religion.

What do you get when you cross a UU church member and a Jehovah's witness? Someone who knocks on your door and talks about NOTHING for 45 minutes.

I was also raised in a UU church. I met a ton of nice, well meaning people. Everyone was welcome. From what I heard, after the priest left that was there when I was a kid it turned more into a freak show than a group of people trying to do good.

Unitarian's are the worst. It's not a religion, they are just calling themselves religious while they are hard core leftists.

A UU Church in the North Shore allowed a small Jewish group I know, to use their building for High Holidays. I was immediately turned off by the UN flag and the rainbow flag.

Always nice to be reminded that gay bashing is alive and well. Thought this was a thread about an anti gun rally. Can we work some racism in here also? Might as well be inclusive.

Back
Top Bottom