• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Unique flagpole draws visitors, makes statement

JonJ

NES Member
http://www.bannergraphic.com/story/1535591.html

Unique flagpole draws visitors, makes statement
Friday, May 1, 2009
By SHANNEN HAYES, Staff Writer

CLOVERDALE -- A 22-foot flagpole with American and POW-MIA flags flying high from it greets patrons of Bill's Hardware and Flooring Store.

What makes this flagpole unique?

It has been constructed in the shape of a rifle. Hardware store owner Bill Sutherland came up with the idea. He would discuss it with other people and the idea eventually began to take shape.

Cloverdale residents who are customers, employees, family and friends of the Sutherlands pitched in time, materials and skills to make the gun flagpole a community project.

"Each day people would stop by to see the progress and work being done," said Sutherland.

The pole took its place in front of the store about a week ago.

"The best thing about having this thing in front of my business is having people from all around stop by to say how they like it and take pictures," added Sutherland.

From the elderly veteran, who came in with a grin on his face to say, "That flag pole is cool," to the little girl standing outside with her hand over heart trying to recite the Pledge of Allegiance to the best of her ability, Sutherland said, "They are all special."

However, this pole is not just any ordinary pole -- by shape or meaning.

"It is a memorial to all veterans who gave their all; it's a symbol of appreciation to those who have served or are currently serving to protect American's freedom. It stands for a love of God, the Constitution, Bill of Rights and the right to bear arms," stated Sutherland.

While the construction of the gun-shaped pole took place, Sutherland said his late uncle, Pvt. First Class Bud Jones, was on his mind because Jones loved his country and what the American flag stood for.

Sutherland and his wife Madonna have enjoyed the visitors who have already come to their store to see the unique pole. They are often asked, when not too busy, to take photos of families or individuals standing beside it.

Their hope is Cloverdale residents and the surrounding communities feel as if this is their flagpole.

To see this rare-shaped flagpole, Bill's Hardware is located at 1 Pickens Drive or just north of Value Market.

A patent on the flagpole is pending.
© Copyright 2009, Greencastle Banner-Graphic
Story URL: http://www.bannergraphic.com/story/1535591.html

1226553-H.jpg

I have no data to back this up, but I'm guessing merchants that have fricking giant rifles next to their doors don't worry so much about robbery and such.

Can you imagine what would happen to a business in MA doing that >??

Depending on the regulations, nothing.

I know that in PA a business wanted to make a large baseball bat about 120 feet high. The laws did not permit the sculpture as simply being a large bat. However, they found a loophole. They made the "bat" into a smokestack as there were no restrictions on size or shape of smokestacks. The same very well may be for flagpoles.

Great story.

I'm sure if anyone tried this in Eastern MA, they'd get in a heap of hot water, with By-Law violations being claimed, claims of "threat", etc. and it would be ordered removed.

BaldKat, I recall a gas station on Neponset St. in Canton getting in trouble for their US Flags hanging on tall flagpoles in front of the gas station (they had many of them). This is right beside I-95, but I doubt they could be seen from the highway.

IIRC they made them downsize the poles and remove many of them. This was many years ago, recalling from reading (or watching on TV) the news stories on it when it happened.

I also recall another business (some other town) being in trouble for a gigantic US Flag hanging in front of their business (think it was a car dealership on US-1).

So, yes the town fathers can really get their shorts in a knot if they don't like what they see.

BaldKat, I recall a gas station on Neponset St. in Canton getting in trouble for their US Flags hanging on tall flagpoles in front of the gas station (they had many of them). This is right beside I-95, but I doubt they could be seen from the highway.

IIRC they made them downsize the poles and remove many of them. This was many years ago, recalling from reading (or watching on TV) the news stories on it when it happened.

I also recall another business (some other town) being in trouble for a gigantic US Flag hanging in front of their business (think it was a car dealership on US-1).

So, yes the town fathers can really get their shorts in a knot if they don't like what they see.

I beleive it. I wonder what the justification was for those actions.

I beleive it. I wonder what the justification was for those actions.

Violations of height By-Laws, etc.

Let's just say that much of the "public" weren't happy with such BS, but I think the end result was compromises by the merchant in both cases.

Can you imagine what would happen to a business in MA doing that >??

You never know. A few years back a group of libs in Amherst (Ma.) tore down and burned a flag hanging off a porch because they thought it was a Texas flag and flying a State of Texas flag was showing support for the war in Iraq. [rolleyes] Turns out though it was a Puerto Rico Flag. They apologized and promised to never to do it again. Nobody was charged.

Back
Top Bottom