"Unfired" -- shoot it, sell it, or something else?

amb

NES Member
I've got a Mossberg M44US. (40's vintage .22 training rifle.) I don't think it's ever been fired.

If I keep it, it's darn well going to get fired.

I've never really understood the "unfired" mystique, but I know some people care a lot, and I'm not completely against selling this one as a museum piece for enough to buy a shooter plus some beer money.

What would you do?

Depends on if I really wanted it for my "shooting" collection... I tend to shoot not collect so anything I have will get used.
If your looking at getting rid of it do it know while the value of unfired is still there.

I had a number of those that were "unfired". In reality they were fired a fair amount for training during WWII, refurbed and put into storage, later being released to CMP. I got lucky and the first one I got had the scope mount holes on it. I ended up selling several of them and the only ones I got any sort of premium on were the ones still sealed in the bags. I still have a few and they are great .22s. If it isnt bagged, I would shoot and then if you dont like it I would sell it. You arent going to lose any money shooting it.

SHOOT IT!!! If you listen close with your ear to the breech, you will hear it whisper: SHOOT ME!

"An weapon unused, is a useless weapon."

When both the devil and the angel on your shoulder are whispering "SHOOT IT" in your ear, it's time to head for the range.

Which one of you is which, again? :)

"Shoot it" is the clear winner. Thanks for the info, coastie--if this is just a refurb and not brand new, I'm really impressed at the refurb job, which I think must have involved reparkerizing and replacing the stock. (I'll see about getting some pics up, too.)

Back
Top Bottom