Unfired Colt 1911A w/1943 serial number

Would it be best to keep in unfired state, or have fun shooting it?

I'm not sure it's what its value is to begin with..

more about that gun and one other...

I think it needs to be taken apart I cant even yank the slide back, I think the cosmoline has gummed it up... It's sat in a box for about 40+ years untouched. Here is the info: Colt M1911A1: serial 904XXX Produced 1943.

I also have access to a Springfield Armory 1911 serial: 73xxx. According to the serial it was produced in 1913. Most of the bluing seems to be gone at this point, it has had a lot of rounds through it.

Last edited:
Is it a Colt, Singer (not likely), Remington Rand, Union Switch and Signal, or Ithaca? That fact will affect value. Either way, if it's a truly unfired all original WWII 1911A1, I'd leave it as a safe queen.

ETA: BTW, is this for sale by any chance? [grin]

Last edited:
The "unfired" aspect will drive it's value some. If you are keeping this as an investment, then don't fire it. If you love to shoot your guys, having a safe queeen will eat away at you. Might as well fire a mag through it and enjoy.

Seriously though, I alway doubt it when someone tries to tell me a firearm is unfired. Especially one that's dated from 1943. I'm not saying the person is lying to you. As far as he knows, it is unfired. But I would still doubt it very much. Maybe that's just me.

Look - for some reason, God has been talking to me lately...PaulD and his M1A, Rob87 and Benelli...I can't explain it, (it's God after all), but he's just told me to tell you to shoot the damned gun - God hates safe queens...Just so you know....

If it truly is unfired, then if you want to make a boodle, don't fire it. Unfired vintage guns
bring very big dollars. I hate them (unfired safe queens) as I struggled with one that in
the end I had to get rid of or I would have shot it driving down the value. As another
poster said, pick up a shooter for a lot less and have just as much or more and not
suffering angst over how much it's costing you in terms of the guns value.

But seriously, you do know that G#d kills a kitty cat every time you masturbate right?

There is a cat right next door to me that I hate...

Should I just masturbate in the cats general direction and let God take care of the rest ?

Or should I just think about the cat when I masturbate ?

Oh yeah,fire the f***ing gun !

#1, how in the hell did this turn into a cat thread?

#2, I consider to be different when it's unfired, because the unfired status is very rare these days and really multiplies the value to a collector. If it were a pristine condition but used model, I'd say shoot the hell out of it, but not if it's unfired.

If it truly is unfired, then if you want to make a boodle, don't fire it. Unfired vintage guns
bring very big dollars. I hate them (unfired safe queens) as I struggled with one that in
the end I had to get rid of or I would have shot it driving down the value. As another
poster said, pick up a shooter for a lot less and have just as much or more and not
suffering angst over how much it's costing you in terms of the guns value.

I think it needs to be taken apart I cant even yank the slide back, I think the cosmoline has gummed it up... It's sat in a box for about 40+ years untouched. Here is the info: Colt M1911A1: serial 904XXX Produced 1943.

I also have access to a Springfield Armory 1911 serial: 73xxx. According to the serial it was produced in 1913. Most of the bluing seems to be gone at this point, it has had a lot of rounds through it.

I will be getting these transferred to me soon hopefully.

Yes, and apparently G*d told Californian's he hates all queens.

But seriously, you do know that G#d kills a kitty cat every time you masturbate right?

You've got that twisted homie...

kitten.jpg

William,

It is inadvisable to attempt any disassembly until you've thoroughly familiarized yourself with the proper procedure. Better yet, get someone who is familiar with 1911s to be present and assist you. Too many pristine guns have been ruined by inexpert handling and uneducated disassembly attempts. I've seen the effects on some otherwise fine collectible pieces and it is not pretty.

And, oh yes - if it indeed appears unfired, please don't fire it. Please. An unfired 1911A1 of that vintage is a beautiful piece of history that deserves a loving home in the hands of a collector who will treasure it and preserve it. If that collector turns out to be you, great; but if you don't feel strongly one way or another about this gun, I hope you'll give someone else the chance to be its steward. There are many qualified individuals who will pay handsomely for the privilege.

As far as value goes, a truly new and unfired Colt 1911A1 military in 100% condition would likely bring in the neighborhood of $5,000 - $6,000.

Last edited:
How can anyone say a firearm that is 50+ years old has never had one down the pipe. Back when it was made, it wasn't a collector piece...someone put lead down the pipe.

Follow Bugs Bunny's advice - have someone who really knows 1911's go through them with a fine tooth comb....Then take them to the range and shoot them....An unfired gun may be collectible art history to some, but to others they are unrealized potential - shootable pieces of history...

Please don't fire it. The people imploring you to fire it have nothing at stake. You do,
in fact if it is as described, you could be pissing thousands of dollars down the range
with the first shot. As the previous poster said as well, get someone who you can
trust and is knowledgeable about the 1911 to strip it down and clean it. You could
do more damage than you realize just disassembling and reassembling it. Are you
sure it is unloaded?

With $5000-6000 from selling it off, you could buy a near-pristine WW2 Colt, shoot it all you want, and still have enough left for four ARs.

Back
Top Bottom