Undersize Sizing Die

Every once in a while I have a problem when I use a Hornady taper crimp die on 45acp's.

I usally find the base after reloading is almost .004 more than the neck. The only thing I can think of is the brass was previously used in a unsupported chamber. I started using my Lee FCD and the problem went away.

I really don't like using a Lee FCD and I saw this on EGW's web site and was wondering if this could help me avoid using the Lee FCD. I don't like the FCD because you don't get a stroke as smooth as the Hornady.

I don't want to have to measure 1000's of rounds of brass before I start using it.

So I found this and was wondering if this is the cure. So can any one tell me if using a EGW under sizing/depriming die will solve the problem.

Cut from EGW's site.

EGW offers custom made, carbide sizing dies that are 0.001" smaller in diameter than typical dies. These dies also flair lower than some other sizing dies and size the case further down, which may prevent feed failures from cases bulged near the base as is typical of brass fired in Glock and other loose chambered guns.

$27.98

The U-die will not be as smooth as a regular sizing die. I lube my brass to make it go smoother, but the U-die is not a flared at the opening, so sometimes the case mouth hits the edge if everything is not lined up.

I have both and use the U-die only.

The FCD is smoother with plated or Jacketed compare to lead.

Yeah, the U-die is the way to go. I have 4 or 5 of them and they have been recommended by pros. Depending on what you are loading on you might find it catches a case mouth on the way down every now and then. Just make sure you have your press adjusted at the resizing station if you have that ability. The superior resizing and the absence of the FCD ([puke]) roughness is worth it though. You'll feel the U-die for sure so case lube is more significant. It will lead to rounds that will never fail a case gage. It creates great bullet tension and you'll not have to about crimping other than as a means to make a slick feeding round.

The U-die will not be as smooth as a regular sizing die. I lube my brass to make it go smoother, but the U-die is not a flared at the opening, so sometimes the case mouth hits the edge if everything is not lined up.

I have both and use the U-die only.

The FCD is smoother with plated or Jacketed compare to lead.

I taught him well.

I only use FCD on lead bullets. Jacketed always drop into gage and bulged cases get tossed out, not worth the headache. You may have machine gun cases (or Glock?) if from range bucket or donation. Just use the best you can and anything Supermoto tells you comes from experience.

I've recently changed to EGW U-dies for 9mm, 40SW, and 38 Supercomp. I've been using Schuemann barrels in my competition stuff and the chambers are fairly tight. I found that these dies really slow down production (but the ammo fits chambers like new factory). I've found something that smooths up the reloading process considerably. I use two sizing dies. I use a regular (Dillon) sizing dies in the first position (Dillon 650) and then the U-die (which is really an Undersize Lee die) with the decapping pin removed in the second postion. This works great for me (YMMV). I also use the trick that a lot of bench rest reloaders use; I loosen all my die lock rings and raise the ram to insert cases in all the dies - then I tighten all the rings. Yes, it's all a PITA but the rounds load smoothly and fit in the tightest of chambers.

Last edited:
Interesting. I use the U die for ALL .40 brass and it often needs it. I have a U die for the 9mm but hardly need/use it. I have never needed the U die for .45 ACP... maybe I need to stop making bunny loads! I think the FCD is way over rated honestly.

Are you using a heavy crimp? Maybe that is making the problem worse? I just use a very light crimp.

My range used to let the Coast Guard practice there. They left behind tons of empty brass
some of which were bulged,to correct the problem i used a 7.62x25 STEEL sizing die the smoothed out the bulge. I found carbide dies turned the cases into mini belted cases.
Perhaps a standard steel die would solve the problem.

Back
Top Bottom