1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Under Pressure From Uber, Taxi Medallion Prices are Plummeting

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by rep308, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Bonesinium

Bonesinium

The thread title reminds me of this video. Sorry for being off-topic but at this point I'm not quite sure what the topic even is.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2017
  2. bostonasphalt2

bostonasphalt2

Things allowed in a free market. It is up to the individual to decide if they wish to support such a company, not for a government entity to force support of it by letting it (taxis) be the only player in town. I would much prefer the former over the latter, even if my morals don't jive 100% with a person running a company.

3. bostonasphalt2

bostonasphalt2

Then you can choose to not support a company run in a way you do not support. Its really quite simple. Dont worry about what others are supporting, it isn't your concern.

1 person likes this.
  4. Another_David

Another_David

What's really screwy and outdated about the taxi medallion and license system is it's city/town specific. These territories predate modern cars and highways. They should at least broaden it to a state wide licensing system.

5. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

Well, SOME communities allow a permitted system in multiple cities/towns. The hackney tag can be for Salem and if they have a permit for Danvers, they can pick up in Danvers. There were some fines handed out not too long ago because drivers were Hackneyed in Salem and were driving to the Mall in Danvers. That's legal, but unless you have the Permit from Danvers, you cannot pick up at the mall. The real hassle there is that each fiefdom want's their cut on the action. Permit fees, all towns, inspection fees all towns etc etc...

6. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

It seems the only "dishonorable" thing they do is call and cancel rides from their competitors (which their competitors can do with Uber).

Uber and Lyft are having a great battle, I enjoy reading about them.

Cab services had a monopoly, their service is horrible (at least in Boston), and they screw the cab drivers, which in turn try to screw people.

The transportation business is full of people screwing each other and not being honorable.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  7. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

The medallion system is similar to medical licensing, except that the "medallion" is called a "license to practice medicine". Although not traded on the market like a taxi medallion, the supply is strictly limited with the specific intent of making sure there are not "too many doctors" so that all doctors can have full employment. A medical school can't just hire a few more MD/professors, buy some more cadavers and start graduating more doctors without approval from the AMA.

And then there is the PNG carry permit system, which bears a striking similarity to taxi medallions.

8. Admin

Admin Staff Member Administrator Moderator NES Member

How are the cab drivers getting screwed by their companies?

9. mattyw

mattyw

10. Admin

11. mattyw

mattyw

we are on the same page in terms of that, but the payoffs they are making are not part of the agreed upon terms, when you show up to get your cab for your shift if you don't pay someone off you don't drive

I dont think that was in the contract

12. MrScrewzloose

MrScrewzloose

My brother drives for Uber a few times a week using his own car for shits and giggles. Turns on his app and within minutes has a pickup. Takes home 80% of the fair and if someone pukes in his car, he takes a picture of the mess and submits it to Uber, Uber charges the rider $250 which it then pays him. He likes doing it, nice car, offers free water to people. Takes home a few hundred bucks a night. As for the crappy Uber drivers, according to my brother, you rate the drivers and the drivers can rate the passenger. Too many bad rates I guess you can get you Uber account suspended or terminated. So I guess in time the idiots will ween themselves out.

13. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

They probably haven't figured out better options for themselves. So, they submit to being screwed figuring this is the best they can do.

My father drove a non-medalion taxi part time for the last few years of his life. It was pretty crappy work, with most passengers being aholes who don't even tip. He earned a few thousand a year at it, not even worth the effort, but he refused to sit around feeling "useless" and wanted to just do "something".

Oh, get this... Half of his passengers were to drive druggies to a methadone clinic on Cape Cod about 50 miles away from where they lived. Daily. And, fully paid by the tax payer. These bags of crap of course never tipped, not a single time. Dad hated dealing with them.

14. mattyw

mattyw

when did it become customary to tip taxi drivers?

half of the ones in boston don't deserve standard pay let alone a tip

connor likes this.
  15. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Don't know but the whole tip concept is bizarre. People should be able to state the price for services rendered and that's the end of it. But since their pay is set low assuming they will get tipped, it is a crappy thing to not tip a good courteous driver. Of course, around Boston few would actually qualify for the tip.

16. mattyw

mattyw

thats what I was more or less wondering, I too find the whole concept bizarre, a tip isn't a tip when it's expected

17. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Maybe some of the .gov types regulate cab fares in these big cities? So a "tip" is a way to get around that garbage? Not sure how it all works. I just know that the whole thing stinks. Whatever happened to just charging what you need to get paid? Sounds kinda like the model is "trick people into getting into the cab, then expect extra money at the end" stuff....

-Mike

18. Mudfish

Mudfish

19. boiler_eng

boiler_eng NES Member

Last time I took a cab it was in Chicago and there were about 3 flat rates listed in the car along with all the "Here is how to report this driver for being a bad boy" stickers. They were: O'Hare to Downtown, Midway to Downtown, Airport to Airport (either direction). They were flat rates that this is what you pay to get from here to here regardless of duration/traffic. On my way back to the airport I took a cab from my hotel to the airport, my hotel was 3 minutes driving from Midway, but I was going to Ohare. My cab was 2x the flatrate cost of going from airport to airport, so I would have saved a bunch by taking a hotel shuttle to Midway then cabbing it on a flat rate from Midway to Ohare. So I wouldn't be surprised if there are also some "affordability" standards that the city imposes to keep it so people don't feel that they are mortgaging their house to take a cab and probably larger taxi operations are fine with it because they just take the largest chunk from the money and don't fight the city about it.

That said, I used to date a massage therapist who worked at a place that charged $60 for an hour massage then paid them like $12-$15 for it. Lots of people wouldn't tip because they assumed she was cleaning up by making the majority of what they paid for a massage. That combined with only getting paid when you are actually massaging and no guarantee of customers coming in meant she didn't really make much over minimum wage. So I can see where people can come from when they say they "rely on tips", and at the end of the day she should have gotten a better picture of what the pay/work was like before jumping into it.

Also, I know tipping rules tend to have all sorts of caveats and specifications that are used to keep things "reasonable" in a persons heads. ie "You should tip your hairdresser X except if they are the owner then tipping isn't expected" .... That kind of screws over the person if they operate a hair salon by them-self doesn't it?

Whenever I pay for a cab on a credit card the guy is always eyeing me to see how I tip, so I stare right back at him.

20. Another_David

Another_David

LOL, the guy in the photo has a sticker that reads "ONLY USED LICENSED MEDALLION CABS". That about sums up the cabbie position.

They showed this on the news last night--the cabbie union head was crabbing lyft/uber taking THEIR customers. They tried to paint uber and lyft as dangerous. I think someone that OWNS their own car is more responsible that a lot of the cabbies and has a lot more experience driving. I always thought it was so ironic how some people that can't afford a car--and thus drive like crap--drive a cab for a living.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  21. Admin

22. mattyw

mattyw

"cabbies are your best protection"

oh wait, thats state troopers...

Koolmoose likes this.
  23. Another_David

Another_David

it's disgustingly common to see industries recommending regulation to kill their competition. the cabbies want to kill uber and lyft. Then uber suggests Boston requires $1 million liability but only when the driver has a customer because that's THEIR model and it would prevent their drivers from working without them unless they each buy a $1 Mil policy, which a part time driver probably can't afford.

I also seriously question how many of those protesting "cabbies" really drive and aren't just union reps or medallion owners that rent out their golden ticket.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  24. Boris

Boris Son of Kalashnikov NES Member

building communism one regulation at a time

25. Pete85

Pete85

Compared to what? Other companies (like taxi companies) that lie and cheat? I'll admit that I don't know a whole lot about Uber or Lyft, but from a quick glance, it looks like they are filling a void in the free market created by a government sponsored monopoly.

26. Pete85

Pete85

I thought medical licensing had more to do with proving the person was qualified to be a Doctor (appropriate schooling, passed licensing exams, etc) than creating an arbitrary limit on the number of doctors. I've never heard of someone with the appropriate education and knowledge being denied a medical license simply because some governing body thought the market was oversaturated. Not saying it hasn't happened, just I haven't heard of it. As it's related to driving a taxi, I'd equate a medical license to a driver's license, as both are supposed to show that you are qualified to perform a certain task and have been vetted by a governing body that oversees said task.

connor and JCV like this.
  27. jar

jar

Challenging a traffic ticket in Boston was eye opening. I'd say >90% of the people there were taxi drivers.

28. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

a. It is both - keep quality up and quantity down.

b. The "gatekeeping" is the limit on the ability to get the appropriate education. Med school slots are strictly capped, and med schools may not graduate a few extra without the licensing body determining they are "needed".

c. Additional supply limiting occurs with the limit of slots to advanced residencies and fellowships. Even with this, there is difficulty getting new MDs to go into non-specialty practice like family or internal medicine. Graduate with $200K+ in med school loans and a $150K GP position in a group practice is not going to cut it.

29. Yazz

Yazz NES Life Member NES Member

It's not illegal to be illegal!

30. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

I was behind a Salem (Witch City) cab today, it has 3 placards on the trunk. One for Salem, one for Danvers and one for Peabody. 3 time sucker.