Unbelievably positive firearm licensing experience

CAR

Not from MA of course.

This morning I received my Utah license in the mail. It appeared someone had picked the wrong state in a drop-down menu as both my letter and license said MD instead of MA, or maybe they typed Ma and their system pulled up "Maryland". Crap.

At 9:00 am Eastern time I emailed the address provided in the welcome letter with a description of the problem, my new Utah license number, date of issue, correct mailing address and asking for instructions on how to obtain a corrected license. I made sure to use a short yet descriptive subject line on my message, something like "error on new firearm license".

At 4:30pm Eastern time ON THE SAME DAY, TODAY, I received this email response:

<my name,>
I have fixed it in the system and a new card will be sent out. Your current card is valid until you receive the new one. You should receive the new card in about a week. When you receive the new one please destroy your current card. Sorry for the inconvenience.​

Utah Department of Public Safety
Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification
[email protected]

bci.utah.gov
Phone (801) 965-4445
Fax (801) 982-9098
I don't even know how to mentally process this kind of governmental competence, customer service, and responsiveness. I may have to take the T to an RMV branch tomorrow once the snow starts and try to register something just to restore balance in the universe.

Nice to deal with a state who's government isn't obsessed with trying to degrade people's 2A rights, ain't it?

I don't think it has anything to do with 2A, I can't imagine one branch of UT government is efficient as this one and another isn't. I think it is simply an efficient UT government compare to the nazi state we live in, as a whole. It's not just 2A that sucks here, try to call the RMV to ask a question.

I don't think it has anything to do with 2A, I can't imagine one branch of UT government is efficient as this one and another isn't. I think it is simply an efficient UT government compare to the nazi state we live in, as a whole. It's not just 2A that sucks here, try to call the RMV to ask a question.

I agree. However, If MA was a "nazi" state, it'd be efficient and well run with no useless eaters. No. We live under communism and all of its glorious trappings of multiculturalism and socio-economic decay.

That's awesome service.

As sucky as this state is, in general, I have always had a positive experience renewing in Andover. No issues whatsoever. Not all towns in MA are bad.

But, it should never be the case that suckiness is a town-by-town issue. They should all be painless. Better still would be constitutional carry in all states. Not that that will ever happen.

The Pew organization rates states in all kinds of ways. In fiscal policies New England states usually rank C or worse.

Utah is usually A or even A +. They’re doing something right.

I had similar experience with NH. They renewed my P&R License to expire 9 days after issuance. Called and had them correct it and Mail a replacement within a week or so.

Frickin Mitt and the Mormons.

Hey - that could be an early-60's band. Bad argyle sweaters. Long overly-greased straight, parted-to-the-right hair. Bent over posture. You can just see Ed Sullivan. . . . . "Let's give a big welcome to. . . . .Frickin Mitt and the Mormonss!!!!!"

Just wait until you renew - $15, completely online, and the UT renewal website even has a tool that lets you crop the format of the photo you upload, and then the renewal mailed in a few days.

My Utah license was expiring this year. I got a notice that I had to renew, complete with links. I filled out all the info, uploaded a new selfie picture, and paid them $25.75. SIX days later I had my new license in the mail. Unbelievable!

Living in Massachusetts tends to give us a distorted view of the rest of the country. Over the years, I have received equally prompt and helpful responses from Maine, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, and Florida.

similar thing happened to me. They messed up my birthday. I called a number I think and they said no problem and I had a new license within a week. It's not like I was going anywhere that I needed it or anything. But yes, great customer service.

Last year, I got my PA license. When it arrived in the mail (the Sheriff wants to personally sign them for out of state folks, and he was out) the state was listed as "Maine" not "Massachusetts" so I called the number on the card, and the deputy was the same fellow who took my application. He said "Yep, that's on me, I screwed the pooch there"

New license was in my hand next day priority mail.

From my first LTC in 2000, to my latest renewal in '16, were all done by 4 different towns just because I used to move a lot. All of them were very pleasant and in fact my first one, I was applying for a class B because I was told by someone that "You won't get a Class A for your first LTC". Well the licensing officer asked why I wasn't applying for a Class A and when I told her that, she said something like "That's garbage. I'm putting you in for class A." Two weeks later, my LTC-A, unrestricted was in the mail in a plain envelope with nothing else in the envelope. Just the old-style "horse blanket" LTC.

Utah seems to be very well run, but I wonder how much of it is that this out of state licensing thing is big business for them. It's basically free money as long as they can keep the process humming along. Good for them of course, and us.

So, when does your freedom of speech license arrive?

Man we are so f***ed.

Every single license for a firearm is unconstitutional. Never mind that it’s unconstituional, but it’s unjust. And an unjust law is no law at all.

But enjoy your ‘awesome’ firearms license experience. Some Jews had better huts than others. Be sure to spread the word that the Nazis do provide high quality huts to some people in the camps.

I agree. However, If MA was a "nazi" state, it'd be efficient and well run with no useless eaters. No. We live under communism and all of its glorious trappings of multiculturalism and socio-economic decay.

They're still useful as long as they vote Democrat. When they aren't needed for their votes anymore, then they'll be considered "useless eaters" and disposed of as has happened throughout history.

Not every experience with LTCs in MA is a bad one.

When I first applied for mine in Attleboro, I got the application from the PD's website and filled everything out. When I stopped by the station to drop it off and schedule my appointment, I was told I had filled out the old forms.

Long story short, they were very nice, photocopied what I filled out to "get the process started." And gave my application back with a blank correct one. I scheduled my interview that day and was told just to bring the correct application with me all filled out when I came in for my appointment.

My appointment wait was 2 weeks due to the licensing officer being on vacation over Christmas, but I was in and out in 15 minutes, and had my card in my hand just under 3 weeks after.

I couldn't believe how smooth it was from all the horror stories I hear. I know Attleboro is a green city, but I was impressed with the speed in which I got the physical license from time of application. Not trying to thread hijack, just adding with my own "unbelievably positive firearm licensing experience." Even in MA, they do happen!

That's awesome service.

As sucky as this state is, in general, I have always had a positive experience renewing in Andover. No issues whatsoever. Not all towns in MA are bad.

But, it should never be the case that suckiness is a town-by-town issue. They should all be painless. Better still would be constitutional carry in all states. Not that that will ever happen.
Same here in Dracut. Lt. Fleury is a gentleman. No restrictions on mine.

I had a pleasant experience where I am and received an unrestricted license first time out.

With respect to the Utah license, can you have that and a MA LTC simultaneously? Or does the one received later supersede the first? If I did have a Utah license, would I have problems renewing my MA LTC?

I had a pleasant experience where I am and received an unrestricted license first time out.

With respect to the Utah license, can you have that and a MA LTC simultaneously? Or does the one received later supersede the first? If I did have a Utah license, would I have problems renewing my MA LTC?

After you get your Ma licence you get your Utha licence and you have them both tp cover you in multiple States.

But to get your Utah licence you have to take the Utah safety course there are Ma instructors that do a combo course for Utah and Florida for $100 dollars.

Ma LTC covers some states Utah cover a couple of more states and then Florida cover a couple of more states.

I have a NH ME RI CT MA UT & FL licence so i am covered as much as possible if i travel I am going to look in to other states but almost all the states i am not covered in like NY NJ CA IL WA OR CO they suck and some of them states don't issue out of state licences.

Not from MA of course.

This morning I received my Utah license in the mail. It appeared someone had picked the wrong state in a drop-down menu as both my letter and license said MD instead of MA, or maybe they typed Ma and their system pulled up "Maryland". Crap.

At 9:00 am Eastern time I emailed the address provided in the welcome letter with a description of the problem, my new Utah license number, date of issue, correct mailing address and asking for instructions on how to obtain a corrected license. I made sure to use a short yet descriptive subject line on my message, something like "error on new firearm license".

At 4:30pm Eastern time ON THE SAME DAY, TODAY, I received this email response:

<my name,>
I have fixed it in the system and a new card will be sent out. Your current card is valid until you receive the new one. You should receive the new card in about a week. When you receive the new one please destroy your current card. Sorry for the inconvenience.​

Utah Department of Public Safety
Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification
[email protected]

bci.utah.gov
Phone (801) 965-4445
Fax (801) 982-9098
I don't even know how to mentally process this kind of governmental competence, customer service, and responsiveness. I may have to take the T to an RMV branch tomorrow once the snow starts and try to register something just to restore balance in the universe.
Utah gets it, pleasant, sympathetic people at the licensing bureau, nicer looking ID too.

Back
Top Bottom