Unauthorized transfer of firearms from State Police Armory?

I never will understand why some people will mess up their lives like that. Those guys had well paying jobs with a killer pension, and they have likely thrown it all away. For what? A few extra bucks?

Probably because shit is so lax they were certain they'd never get caught. A mindset probably built as several smaller transgressions went unnoticed.

Out here old women turn their dead husbands guns into the police department and they are then police property. They keep them until they get enough to go to the iron works to be melted down, scopes and all. The money they burn up is a crime as those guns could be sold with a BC just like any other gun. The waste is incredible...

Out here old women turn their dead husbands guns into the police department and they are then police property. They keep them until they get enough to go to the iron works to be melted down, scopes and all. The money they burn up is a crime as those guns could be sold with a BC just like any other gun. The waste is incredible...

in chicago they do a similar thing, except instead of burning the guns they get mysteriously relocated to the gangs.

Anyone have actual facts yet on this, such as:
  • What are "surplus weapons"? Outdated service weapons? Turn-ins?
  • How are said "surplus weapons" supposed to be handled?
  • What is meant by "transferred", as opposed to say "sold"?
  • Did any money actually change hands?
  • What was supposed to happen, and what did happen, to the "transferred" "surplus weapons"? Stored? Sold?
I have no opinion on the actions of the accused without answers to these kind of questions.

They could have been doing something that's been considered normal practice for years until they pissed off someone who's now out to get them. Or they could have been making thousands of dollars running an illegal gun distribution scheme. Or something anywhere in between.

How times change.
Back in the late 80s when I had an FFL, I got a call from the desk sargent (not going to name the department) who asks "You're a gun dealer right?". I was, so he tells me there is a guy at the station who's father passed away and he just wants to get rid of his guns, "Can you help him out?".... Hell Yes. Wasn't anything spectacular, a couple shotguns, a sportsterized 1903 and a pretty sweet 357 S&W. Today they would have been melted down.

I never will understand why some people will mess up their lives like that. Those guys had well paying jobs with a killer pension, and they have likely thrown it all away. For what? A few extra bucks?

It could be something that stupid.

It also could be a "put up job". EG, whatever these guys did, they had permission from someone to do it before. Now someone is out to get them and is trying to drum them out. whatever "this" is, suddenly which was allowed is not any longer; and used as an excuse with a universal adapter on it.

-Mike

When's the last time you saw a Union member lose a pension? They could drive drunk through a crowd in a cruiser, while waving a post ban AK and a 100 round drum, and a rebel flag, naked, with a brick of pot, screaming racial epithets......and still retire making over $100K a year.

Odds are they will retire early and be hired as contractors for the same place. They will draw their pensions and get sent to do out of state police work for good pay with an expense account. They take care of their own.

They could have been doing something that's been considered normal practice for years until they pissed off someone who's now out to get them.

I seriously doubt they would have been suspended without pay if they were doing something that had been normal practice.

September 9, 2016
Police chief who killed self was accused of selling city-owned guns

"A Mississippi police chief killed himself soon after learning that authorities were investigating allegations that he illegally sold city-owned firearms, including an assault rifle, a sheriff’s official said Friday.

Hancock County Chief Deputy Don Bass told The Associated Press that Bay St. Louis police chief Mike DeNardo illegally sold one city-owned assault rifle, and that authorities were looking into allegations that other city-owned weapons were sold."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mike-de...-accused-of-selling-city-owned-guns-official/

I seriously doubt they would have been suspended without pay if they were doing something that had been normal practice.

It could have been a normal yet illegal practice. Seriously. My towns former police chief and one other cop were suspended without pay and sadly, allowed to resign (should have been criminally charged but as usual, cop, so they got a pass) after it was found out they were doing several things as normal practice (admitted as much) despite those things being in violation of NH law. One of those was destroying evidence or other items held, keeping them, or selling them for profit, despite state law outlining the proper way to get rid of these things (if the item is of a certain value, auctioned).

So I don't doubt it too much.

It's still a lot of suspense and short on information.
It would be a damn shame if VV got pinched along the way. Karma and all.

September 9, 2016
Police chief who killed self was accused of selling city-owned guns

"A Mississippi police chief killed himself soon after learning that authorities were investigating allegations that he illegally sold city-owned firearms, including an assault rifle, a sheriff’s official said Friday.

Hancock County Chief Deputy Don Bass told The Associated Press that Bay St. Louis police chief Mike DeNardo illegally sold one city-owned assault rifle, and that authorities were looking into allegations that other city-owned weapons were sold."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mike-de...-accused-of-selling-city-owned-guns-official/

Looks like he was into some asset forfeiture shenanigans as well:

http://reason.com/blog/2016/09/09/mississippi-police-chief-kills-self-amid
But De Nardo and the city of Bay St. Louis had drawn the attention of the Department of Justice. In reporting from last fall, the Sun Herald noted that both the mayor and the chief signed certified affidavits that the city was in possession of nearly $300,000 in money given to them through the Department of Justice's asset forfeiture Equitable Sharing program. That's the program that allows local law enforcement agencies to partner with the Justice Department in drug raids and other police activities, seize any cash and assets they get, and keep a good chunk of it for themselves.

Suspensions without real proof is not uncommon at all levels of government. I'll keep an open mind either way until there is real evidence.

Suspensions without real proof is not uncommon at all levels of government. I'll keep an open mind either way until there is real evidence.

Judging by the news accounts of police misconduct in MA, they rarely suspend without pay. They almost always suspend with pay. Only in the most egregious cases do they suspend without pay.

Which is why I doubt they were doing something that was "business as usual."

Last edited:
Agree - Needs to be egregious to suspend pay indefinetely at the state level, and most likely, their Union wasn't able to help them.

I worked with a few guys who lost their jobs and their pensions. They were fired for cause, lost their appeals, and lost their pensions. They got back the contributions, but nothing else. They also lost their health insurance because that was part of the compensation and you can only continue that if you retire in good standing.

When's the last time you saw a Union member lose a pension? They could drive drunk through a crowd in a cruiser, while waving a post ban AK and a 100 round drum, and a rebel flag, naked, with a brick of pot, screaming racial epithets......and still retire making over $100K a year.

Judging by the news accounts of police misconduct in MA, they rarely suspend without pay. They almost always suspend with pay. Only in the most egregious cases do they suspend without pay.

Which is why I doubt they were doing something that was "business as usual."

they are suspended without pay because there are missing guns. probably a lot of missing guns. also in the probably category is that we probably won't ever hear more about it.

Judging by the news accounts of police misconduct in MA, they rarely suspend without pay. They almost always suspend with pay. Only in the most egregious cases do they suspend without pay...

In virtually all .GOV jobs/unions:

Suspend w/ pay = prelude to you getting fired.

Suspend w/o pay = that is your "punishment".

Back
Top Bottom