UMass Memorial question

Buck F

NES Member
The building I'm asking about specifically is: UMass Memorial Medical Center, University Campus 55 Lake Ave in Worcester.

Is that considered a prohibited place due it being a University? I know the Boston teaching hospitals aren't considered schools but with the address saying "University Campus" I just want to be sure if it's actually on campus or not. Last time I was there was years ago, rush trip to see someone at the ER, they had metal detectors at the entrance.

Thanks!

The building I'm asking about specifically is: UMass Memorial Medical Center, University Campus 55 Lake Ave in Worcester.

Is that considered a prohibited place due it being a University? I know the Boston teaching hospitals aren't considered schools but with the address saying "University Campus" I just want to be sure if it's actually on campus or not. Last time I was there was years ago, rush trip to see someone at the ER, they had metal detectors at the entrance.

Thanks!
I used to carry there, my mom and dad used to go there a lot for heart and cancer problems. Concealed means concealed. Do not enter through the ER entrance. There are "no weapons" signs up like any other hospital though, and even though they don't hold force of law, they have private property rights like anywhere else, so if you got outed and asked to leave, leave with a purpose, don't wait for anyone to show up or question it. YMMV of course. If a cop really wanted to I'm sure they could jam you up and make you lawyer your way out of it, since the place has UMASS in the title regardless of whether or not it's technically considered school campus. I definitely would not attempt to go through metal detectors at any hospital with a firearm, unless I was getting brought in unconscious in an ambulance, that's just asking for headaches.

To my understanding, it's legally gray.

Also to my understanding, concealed means concealed.

The UMass University campus on Lake Ave had no metal detectors last time I went 9 mos ago.

I go there for work, no metal detectors but never been through the ER entrance. Wasn't there a shooting or something there recently? Maybe I'm thinking of Dartmouth Medical.

Thanks!

Well.... I charged a gang banger with 269 10j, who was carrying pepper spray, there many moons ago. As far as I know, the charges stuck. I wouldn't carry there. Not saying I agree with it, just telling you what I know.

On the flip side, there were many times that I stored firearms for folks as well. I'm not sure if they still have safe in dispatch.

I think it's a legit question whether or not the UMass hospital is school property or not.

The University hospital is state owned property, same as the school. It is the only UMMHC property that falls under the state/school.

The University hospital is state owned property, same as the school. It is the only UMMHC property that falls under the state/school.
There is no law prohibiting carrying on "state owned property" in MA. The law is no carrying on any school/college property in MA.

The OP is trying to determine if the hospital itself is a school or if the school is separate from the hospital.

I've never been to UMass Medical, so I have no clue about the layout.

When my nephew was there I carried every time I went to see him. The only place they I saw a metal detector, and a statie was at the entrance to emergency. Don't go there. If you're truly concealed who's gonna know?

The medical school and university hospital are inextricably linked as the same campus with interconnected buildings with no delineation of leaving one to enter the other. Offices, lecture halls, the med school library etc are within the hospital’s main building. Addresses are shared. Campus/hospital police are the same department (and are real police not some college maglight wannabe’s as we get some pretty shady Worcester gang bangers in regularly). The ER has metal detectors, other entrances don’t. That’s the information, my recommendation is to not carry on the premises, but I make no determination of your decision.

This is fundamentally different from the other three med schools in the commonwealth whose hospital sites are separate campuses and buildings from the school.

Thanks! Appreciate the insight.

Not in terms of the school being colocated, memorial campus is strictly a hospital (though a teaching site of Umass medical school). They have their own independent police department there as well. No metal detectors apart from the ED. I’ve seen (poor concealment) patients and visitors carrying, regardless of illegal or not the PD would have you leave based on hospital policy either way, I don’t carry, never had a need there, plenty of boys in blue that are good police employed by Umass. And I would swiftly lose my job and not be able to give prostate exams.
Exactly how many descended vs undescended testicles do you see on a weekly basis in clinic? Just curious 🤷‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom