• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

UMASS GUN CLUB – New Student Organization at UMass Amherst

MadRussian

Army Veteran
I thought the NES community would be interested to hear:

I and two other students (NES member: crazymjb being one) started a student organization (RSO) dedicated to promoting the Second Amendment and gun safety. It was not easy. I took over the presidency when the other two founders (who did most of the start up work) where deployed.

Our goal is to bring together those students who are interested in firearms and don’t really know where to turn or how to start as well as help those who shoot and are interested in perusing their interests further.

We are now about a year old and growing fast. The average meeting turn out is around 10-15 and we have close to 100 members on the books.
We have weekly meetings and held a free pistol safety course (no shooting, just info) with other events in the panning stage. So far we have solid contacts in the UMPD and the UMass ROTC and hopefully those safety classes will be moved to one of those building once we have consent from the PD. We are also working with the local ranges so those members who can, have a place to shoot (as individuals).

We are working on getting our Sporting qualification rather then just a Political so we are better able to introduce people to shooting and hold more enticing events. We are being held up by having to mediate the safety, liability, legal and other university related concerns that come with the idea of firearms. We have begun contacting other collages and universities with shooting sports for advice and I’m planning to have this happen before I graduate.

We are also looking into bringing back the Pistol and Rifle Teams that UMass had up until about the 1950’s or so. I have come across students who participated in high school shooting teams before going to UMass, so there is potential. We are trying to do a lot of the ground work, but this will probably be realized by my successors.

If there are any UMass Amherst students on here who are interested, please contact me.

Anyone who is interested and willing to offer support, advice, etc... we would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for reading.
- Sergey

I also go to UMass and I think it's a great idea. Unfortunately UMass being the lib school it is, I don't see this going much farther than just being a political group. Keep at it though!

I live in the area and I wish you all the best of luck. I am pleased to see the future leaders of America are heading down the correct path.

I learned to shoot rifle in my highschool basement rifle range, and shoot pistol at college (and got credit for it!). Both in very liberal climates, and not too long ago. And I just checked, my high school still has a rifle team, and college Phys-Ed still has rifle, pistol & trap classes, but the fees have gone way up. Good Luck!

It sounds like you guys have a real solid vision and the willingness to get to the goal in steps. Do you have any faculty involvement? The right adviser may help clear some roadblocks with the school administration.

Great job!

Spent quite a bit of time at umass Amherst, good luck to you my friend. Hope it catches on an the school doesn't give you too many obstacle but that is also to be expected. Good luck!! I'll spread the word to some of the friends I have left attending there most have long graduated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow!!! Glad to hear about that. Good Luck to you guys. Just keep it up. This is like using our enemies tactics against them.

One more UMass grad here wishing you all the best. You are surrounded by shooting clubs in towns like Granby, Deerfield, Northampton, and even South Amherst. Sunday afternoons are often a good time to drop in for a chat at most clubs. I think you'd be welcomed.
Check the NRA website for info on college clubs. I believe MIT has a shooting team, and they might be a resource, too. Good luck!

Just out of curiosity, how do clubs/teams/schools get around the "No guns on school campuses" laws?

The same way the cops do?

In a more serious vein, I would think that an organized student activity following established and accepted safety and security rules would be the way to go. Possibly storage at the campus police station and strict in- and out policies might be acceptable.

Also, do the police have a range, indoors or out which could be used? IIRC they used to practice at the Norwottuck range just down the mountain from the Notch on Route 116. Possible practise area there.

Best of luck to you folks.

You should touch base with the folks at MIT, Mass Maritime Academy and Wentworth for some help in getting ideas on how to make this work at UMass.

Does an Advisor have to be a professor? If NOT, you might hit up our Mod MrsWildWeasel for her Husband's contact info and see if he can help you. He works there in a tech supt department.

Here are some links:

http://web.mit.edu/pistol/www/

http://web.mit.edu/mitprc/www/

http://www.mac-rifle.org/Coaches_Corner.htm - This one has contact info for ALL the NCAA affiliated shooting clubs.

Great job.

Isn't KMaurer a professor somewhere? Maybe he can at least lend some advice on navigating university politics.

Keep us updated on your progress if you could.

I live in the area and I wish you all the best of luck. I am pleased to see the future leaders of America are heading down the correct path.
i will second that. its always good to see more and more of the younger generations getting involved in our sport/hobby. boris i hope that all goes well in the future with your endeavor and that your memberships keep increasing. good luck.

bob

The same way the cops do?

Nope. Cops are exempt by statute. Schools can, and do, grant permission for non-LEO carrying guns on campus for use in organized school activity. That being said, my understanding is that the permission (MIT being a good example) is in writing, and very explicit about the fact that it allows unloaded/cased transport only for use in the sanctioned school activity, and is not a general form of carry permission.

I initially worked to get this RSO started and felt guilty when I had a lot of other things crop up which ended up really preventing me from making it as good as it could be. That said, I just wanted to pop in and say Sergey has done an incredible job in making this group grow, and I am looking forward to getting re-involved when I get back to school. From what I have been told, there has been a great deal of student interest, and I think as long as a dedicated base of leadership remains active with this club, I only see a bright future for it.

Mike

Count me an another alum that is glad to see this get going. I was graduating when the archery club was just starting, so I was not able to participate.

I think the ones that actually got the archery going and the permissions to fling arrows would be gone now, but you may be able to check with them in how the permission to use dangerous weapons is handled. (provided they are still around)

I wish your club the best in getting and keeping members.

Good luck from another alum. I actually learned to shoot at UMass as a young kid. Way back when there was a range in the basement of one of the buildings (don't remember which one) run by the ROTC head, Colonel Marchant, I believe. My dad was a professor and took us there every week. I still have my NRA marksmanship medals.

Hey I need a favor if there are any NRA instructor/trainers reading this. Currently myself and madrussian are the only NRA certified instructors in the Umass Gun Club. I have 2 years left at the school and he has one, so we'd like to get some of the freshmen who are staying involved with the club put through the NRA basic pistol course as well as other courses possibly. Most of the guys we would likely be putting through are incoming freshmen (can give the most back to the club if we use club funds to send them to the course) but are older guys (mostly vets) who already hold LTCs. Feel free to post or PM me/us for rates. We are able to pay but I heard some of the guys on NES charged less than the more prominent places, and our funds as a new club are limited.

Thanks all

Mike

That's great. Once we gain some perspective as to who is interested in the legal aspect of it, it would be great to set up some sort of seminar if you would be willing to do that. We could probably compensate you, though I know it wouldn't be close to your rate (my father is an attorney). Right now we have a lot of people who "want to shoot" but I am hoping we can boil down the legal/political junkies and set up a Q&A session of some sort.

Mike

Hey I need a favor if there are any NRA instructor/trainers reading this. Currently myself and madrussian are the only NRA certified instructors in the Umass Gun Club. I have 2 years left at the school and he has one, so we'd like to get some of the freshmen who are staying involved with the club put through the NRA basic pistol course as well as other courses possibly. Most of the guys we would likely be putting through are incoming freshmen (can give the most back to the club if we use club funds to send them to the course) but are older guys (mostly vets) who already hold LTCs. Feel free to post or PM me/us for rates. We are able to pay but I heard some of the guys on NES charged less than the more prominent places, and our funds as a new club are limited.

Thanks all

Mike

Mike: If I understand you correctly, you'd like to see some of the newer guys certified as NRA instructors? Jon Green at GOAL would be the first person I'd contact. Also, the NRA should have a list of trainers, and maybe one of them would do a weekend class at a reduced rate. Best of luck.

Another UMASS alum here......graduated in 94......glad to hear you are making headway with your endeavors! Boy that was one left wing hippy school when I was in the forestry program out there! You definately have some guts starting a 2a support club on that campus! Best of luck!

Mike: If I understand you correctly, you'd like to see some of the newer guys certified as NRA instructors? Jon Green at GOAL would be the first person I'd contact. Also, the NRA should have a list of trainers, and maybe one of them would do a weekend class at a reduced rate. Best of luck.

Yes, it was not entirely clear whether they are seeking instructor credentials or simply to become licensed.

Back
Top Bottom