• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

UMass-Boston: 'The state police presence on campus has ended'

Reptile

NES Member
  • The University of Massachusetts-Boston announced that the presence of state police "has ended."
  • The announcement comes as colleges nationwide face calls to cut ties with police.
University of Massachusetts-Boston Interim Chancellor Katherine Newman and university Police Chief Donald Baynard addressed the campus community in separate letters announcing that state police will no longer have a presence on campus.

The state police previously used the university’s parking lots because of “a long-standing practice of inter-agency cooperation among the commonwealth’s public safety and law enforcement entities related to large scale events in Boston," the chancellor noted.

“a deliberate act of violence against the Black, POC and undocumented students" Tweet This

For example, she recalled how the parking lot was used “when the city was crowded and in need of overflow parking for police agencies” at large-scale events, such as former President Barack Obama's visit to the area as well as the Boston Marathon, which was bombed in 2013.

To date, inter-agency cooperation has helped ensure that both the campus and city residents are safe, and the partnerships are utilized on a regular basis for both minor policing situations and emergencies like that of the Boston Marathon Bombing.

However, Newman writes that “for people who have historically, systematically, and even routinely been victims of police misconduct," the police's presence is an "intimidating display." She claims that police can, therefore, be an “implied deterrent” for students who want to protest.

UMass Boston will be working alongside Chief Baynard to create “a Police Community Advisory Board that will consist of students, faculty, and staff." Its purpose is to allow for open communication between the university and the public safety department “to discuss national topics."

Mike Rowe puts it so nicely. They are royally F'd and don't realize it yet. Certainly not the Northeast institutions in general and the munny-sipple ones specifically. They're going to find themselves grossly irrelevant very very quickly.

Personally, I think having a college experience is a good thing. But having it for $35 or 75K/yr is just a complete pricing mistake. A world that Rowe sees has it's own unintended consequences. But I don't see the schools turning the corner and cutting costs enough to pull back from this brink.

State funded universities won't allow state funded police dept on their property hmmnn and this place is run by educated people? Did they miss a few classes somewhere.

• The University of Massachusetts-Boston announced that the presence of state police "has ended."
  • The announcement comes as colleges nationwide face calls to cut ties with police.
University of Massachusetts-Boston Interim Chancellor Katherine Newman and university Police Chief Donald Baynard addressed the campus community in separate letters announcing that state police will no longer have a presence on campus.

The state police previously used the university’s parking lots because of “a long-standing practice of inter-agency cooperation among the commonwealth’s public safety and law enforcement entities related to large scale events in Boston," the chancellor noted.

“a deliberate act of violence against the Black, POC and undocumented students" Tweet This

For example, she recalled how the parking lot was used “when the city was crowded and in need of overflow parking for police agencies” at large-scale events, such as former President Barack Obama's visit to the area as well as the Boston Marathon, which was bombed in 2013.

To date, inter-agency cooperation has helped ensure that both the campus and city residents are safe, and the partnerships are utilized on a regular basis for both minor policing situations and emergencies like that of the Boston Marathon Bombing.

However, Newman writes that “for people who have historically, systematically, and even routinely been victims of police misconduct," the police's presence is an "intimidating display." She claims that police can, therefore, be an “implied deterrent” for students who want to protest.

UMass Boston will be working alongside Chief Baynard to create “a Police Community Advisory Board that will consist of students, faculty, and staff." Its purpose is to allow for open communication between the university and the public safety department “to discuss national topics."

It’s all going to be virtual learning anyway

State universities. State police forces. Isn't this one of those things Gov. Baker could straighten out if he weren't a pussy? I think I have to call his office tomorrow.

Good. Fend for yourself. And when the shit goes down, and will eventually, make the call for help. "Sorry, not our jurisdiction"

These woke liberals don't understand that in the end, they'll eventually come for them too...

I can only guess what comes next from all of this ban police crap: Ramped up efforts to kill 2A rights because that will make all of these police-free zones infinitely safer. Watch for this specific bundling of lunacy.

Meanwhile all the non sheeple are taking concerted efforts to provide self defense. This includes many former sheeple who finally removed the wool from over their eyes.

I can only guess what comes next from all of this ban police crap: Ramped up efforts to kill 2A rights because that will make all of these police-free zones infinitely safer. Watch for this specific bundling of lunacy.

Meanwhile all the non sheeple are taking concerted efforts to provide self defense. This includes many former sheeple who finally removed the wool from over their eyes.

Got it exactly. Hope everyone's buckled up because this is just the start of this roller coaster ride.

I can't even count just how many home invasions there were at the apartments next to UMass Boston when I went there.

PSGWSP doesn't apply to the little kids that have to grow up in a crime ridden neighborhood because the sociology majors next door thought it would be a good idea to "defund the police". Either the media silences it, or I just don't see many REAL adults pushing back on this idea. Sad that kids will be the ones to suffer.

When I first moved to MA I lived at one of those apartments on Mount Vernon Street next to the campus. It had private armed security and one of the guards basically told me I wasn't safe if I stepped foot off the property at night.

I'm sure removing LEO presence will be a great move. What could possibly go wrong?

How much was MASP on the UMB campus (aka - BUM. Dartmouth becomes DUM as well. LOL) in the first place?? It's been a long time since I was in tehcollitch, but I recall a local college security force. And then local cops if that became too much.

Who's going to take the guns ?

Who's going to take the guns ?

919178d60b131086948545cbda963ae1.jpg

Let the new Intervention Agents handle it...

According to FBI crime statistics culled from more than 600 U.S. schools during the 2013 calendar year, there were tens-of-thousands of on-campus crimes — ranging from petty property offenses to rape — reported by U.S. colleges and universities. There were even murders reported at 13 schools, including the University of Massachusetts Medical School in Worcester, according to FBI crime data.

Among the crime categories tracked by the federal government:

• The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth led all local schools in total violent crimes reported (27 instances among 9,210 on-campus students). The school also tied Emerson College in Boston with the most rape cases (a total of nine) reported. Nationally, UCLA led all U.S. colleges and universities in the categories of violent crime (85 instances) and rape cases (34) reported.

So will they call Boston PD when a crime occurs? Don't wait for them to drop everything to respond.

Back
Top Bottom