Um I think I found a glitch.....

groundscrapers

NES Member
I was about to pay my excise tax bill today and on the portal they use for the payment I can enter any bill number and tax year 2014 and pull up their name, car, plates and excise tax. The list of towns in the state using the same software is pretty vast.

*note that is not my plate nor name.

Screen Shot 2014-02-26 at 11.27.01 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-02-26 at 11.28.44 PM.png

oh fun, i found what your into, time to find the mother in laws bill and freak her out on how the hell I could know this info.

I just paid mine, even though it was billed to me after I moved out of state. The car was still registered in MA for Jan and Feb so apparently I owe them $12. Will be interesting to see if the tax abatement form actually works. It did when I changed cars, but the form for moving actually asked for something that wasn't on the bill. I was advised that if I left it blank or entered it wrong, that they could reject the abatement and once you're denied - you don't get an appeal and you can't refile.

I think my town uses the same system, but it only shows the name and amount. I didn't think to check other bill numbers when I paid mine.

Your town has privacy problems.

This is how it normally works:

Names reveal plate numbers.

Plate numbers to not reveal names.

Bill numbers reveal plate number but not name.

If somebody had the time they could reverse engineer it all to match plate number with names and public address files.

Stalkers paradise holy grail.

Most towns in MA have [STRIKE=.]Your town has[/STRIKE] privacy problems.

This is how it normally works:

Names reveal plate numbers.

Plate numbers to not reveal names.

Bill numbers reveal plate number but not name.

If somebody had the time they could reverse engineer it all to match plate number with names and public address files.

Stalkers paradise holy grail.

FIFY. [hmmm]

EDIT: When I plugged in my excise tax bill from my town, it gave the name if I looked for it, but no plate/make/model, just the please pay ripoff amount with 2.5% vig if you use a CC

Last edited:
Just mailed in one check for five vehicles (my truck, motorcycle, boat trailer, and my boys' two cars). Boat itself is registered in NH, which avoids excise tax in MA on it. (I also bought it in ME and did not pay sales tax anywhere...)

Anyway, in the "notes" portion of the check I wrote "Fix some potholes!"

Ahh paying for the privilege to park your car in your driveway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The people who run these things for the towns and cities are clueless. Most likely brought the system up with default settings and let it fly.

Except it isn't your driveway. You only rent it. They just let you think you own it.

So how about the excise tax on my boat that has never even been into the town I live in!?!? The bill I have to fight every year considering it's a commercial fishing vessel... SMH

Last time I renewed my registration with the MA RMV I entered the wrong plate number by mistake and it came up with all the personal info of that plate. So it happens elsewhere also.

So how about the excise tax on my boat that has never even been into the town I live in!?!? The bill I have to fight every year considering it's a commercial fishing vessel... SMH

Fun isn't it? We just finished a 3-month fight with Verizon because it took them 65 days to process our returned equipment. First we maxed out our CC to avoid a $906 auto-charge (bought something we needed anyway), then disputed the bill, but they didn't take off the $6, only the $900, so we got stuck paying that else it was going to go to collection. Then when they finally scanned the equipment, they realized they had been over charging us and mailed us a $49 check.

NEVER, just like you would never 'barrel-sweep-never', EVER ****mail**** your equipment back with their **convenient*** return label system. Ho--leee---frig.....

Back
Top Bottom