Ultrasonic Cleaner Issues

I recently purchased the Harbor Freight Ultrasounic Cleaner. After plugging it in and trying to use it, nothing. I called Harbor and am trying to send it back. I was thinking that maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy a better quality piece of equipment as I shoot competitively and am at the range weekly.

My absolute limit would be $400 but I would prefer something in the $200-300 range. Should I just exchange my defective model for another new one? I also wasn't sure about the 8 minute cycles on the Harbor one. Most people recommend 30 - 60 min clean cycles and I sure don't want to keep going back and pushing start every 8 minutes. Any suggestions?

Here's the model I have:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95563

Does it need to be some fancy ultrasonic piece of equipment? Why not just a standard case tumbler? Most go for the same price you paid, $80-$100, for a decent quality unit

The Harbor Freight unit seems designed for jewelry and other small parts and not for guns (hence the short cycle time).

I've seen good units at Midway, Cheaper than Dirt, etc. designed for guns at about the $399 price point. Maybe less on ebay?

Does it need to be some fancy ultrasonic piece of equipment? Why not just a standard case tumbler? Most go for the same price you paid, $80-$100, for a decent quality unit

I'm not cleaning cases, I'm cleaning my guns. I had one of my 1911's cleaned and lubed up using this process and I was quite impressed. I will clean with a mix of Simple Green and Hot water, blow dry with compressed air, bathe in WD40, then oil externally and grease internal parts. The gun is then good as new. Here is an example of a higher end unit by L&R Ultrasonics:

http://www.lrultrasonics.com/hcs200orders/

I have seen more guns gummed up and rusted from using an ultrasonic cleaner than anything else and I have seen and serviced a lot of guns.

Do you think ultrasonic cleaning is not good for firearms or do you think that the procedure that the people are using is flawed. Meaning how they lube and grease the internal parts. I know other shooters that have been using this process for years without any issues.

Back
Top Bottom