• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ultimate Zombie Survival Knife

Even if this didn't ruin just about any/all utility value such a knife should have, have you ever given a double-edged knife to someone who doesn't know what they're doing? And seen them try and use it?

For someone who isn't a capable knife fighter/user, a double-edged blade is nothing but a hazard.

ETA: I forgot to add anything about sheath functionality. I prefer kydex, with plenty of mounting holes....spaced properly for a tek-lok. All the sheath needs to do is protect the edge, and keep the knife readily accessible....however the user decides its best to mount it.

atmay, Yes, they look and move the same as a person who doesn't know what their doing with a single edged knife. Are you worried they might hurt themselves? they are in a knife fight everything hurts and is a hazard..

That was my point to Shade, and I apologies if it wasn't that clear. People develop high end combat knives based on their style of fighting. A generic knife can not be sold high end. because the knife is personalized to the fighter's preferences and style they won't spend the $$$$ if it's not exactly what they need.

Shade mentioned if I have something to add regarding the product development based on personal experience with fighting techniques, he would welcome them.

Well I went through the whole process myself with Bud Nealy A-Z to the final stage and my knife has been in circulation for about 10 years at all the knife shows. I converse with maker's all the time regarding the combat side. As far as a utility blade the guys have offered some sound advice I was coming from the other side, the combat side. It's tough to please both people the Woodsman and the Fighter.

Even my holster was developed to my personal preference and my system. Made by Blade Rigger. So knifer's are very picky about their gear.

a5c6b5ef.jpg

f18ef389.jpg

c8f780cb.jpg

bc79d938.jpg

this would do the trick

thank you! this one went to a buddy on trade. i hated to see it go, but i know i can always swing it around now and then. 3" wide blade at the widest point. with tiny little a flick of the wrist you can bury the sweet spot in about 1 1/2" in to a 2X4. its awesome!

Have you taken a look at any similar items that are out there? There are a few 'ultimate survival' multi-function devices out there that are similar to what you're looking to do. The good news is that none of the ones I'm familiar with are 'knife' based... there's one that's essentially a glorified crowbar and a very interesting one that's essentially a shovel,, but that doesn't nearly do it enough justice. For comparison's sake:

http://www.amazon.com/Dead-On-AN18-Annihilator-Wrecking/dp/B001SEQH1I

http://www.crovelfoldingshovel.com/

That fact that yours would be a knife I think is a good thing... it sets itself apart from other items that are out there. Here are my suggestions (I know that some of these have been things that have been suggested before, but I figured I'd include the full list of features I would include regardless of whether they've been suggested before):

I'd make it big and heavy enough to accomplish what some heavier tools would are able to do, such as hammering, sawing, prying and chopping. Depending on whether you're married to the idea of this being a knife as opposed to something a bit more machete or axe-like, I would also include functions like breaching a door (either by prying or by penetrating).

Do you have size limitations/restrictions? In order to accomplish my functions, I would go with a larger, thicker and heavier blade than a typical survival knife would have.

Some people have suggested a two knife design which is another good idea... the smaller knife would allow you to accomplish finer tasks like cutting, skinning, filleting, etc.

Tests to demonstrate the functions I listed:
  • Clear brush (before and after photos)
  • Chop saplings/split wood
  • Saw through a sapling
  • Hammering in some heavy duty nails
  • Driving spikes, wooden stakes, etc into the ground (demonstrating hammering/using as a mallet)
  • Breaching a door (penetration power)
  • Cutting rope (not that this is impressive, but just to reiterate it's utility)
  • Demonstrate cutting Kensei (dried grass) mats used to demonstrate a sword's sharpness, depending of course on how sharp it is. If you go for more of the heavy duty chopping blade, this probably wouldn't be possible.

At any rate, those are the major functions. I do think you'd want to consider some kitchy functions like a beer opener (I think someone suggested that already) because it's a feature that would probably market well and something people would definitely 'show off' if they owned one. Another possibility would be a window/glass hammer... I could probably think of another couple if it wasn't after 2:00am and I didn't have to wake up an a few hours for work.

-Bill

Thanks everyone for the comments, keep them rolling in. I'm working on a full summary document that I can share with others involved in this venture. I know we have several more additional items already included.

Mike,

Thanks for posting that - looks beautiful. Too bad it's not for sale. What would a blade like that run?

Bill,

Thanks for adding some new functions / tests.

I know the grass-mat test quite well. While it's billed as a sharpness test, and sharpness does have some influence on it, the polish of the blade (body of the blade, not just the edge) and thinness of the blade have as much or more influence than actual sharpness. A heavy/thick blade like the one we're most likely considering would likely not perform well because of the blade thickness / matte finish, regardless of how sharp the blade is.

IMHO a SHTF knife should should be able to perform the following functions:

Cut meat
Cut fabric
Cut rope
Cut small metal wire (braided metal rope)
Cut-through/Break Bone
Cut leather
Dig
Hammer
Chop wood
Pry - lightly

Also, I would submit that a knike for this scenario should have the following qualities:

Balance between being sharpened in the field quickly/easily and edge retention
Easily accessible from sheath
Perform all above functions in all weather conditions ranging from dry and -25F to rainforest 120F+

I'm sure I'm missing a few, but that should be a start. Hope this helps. Best of luck, and looking forward to see what you come up with.

Bill,

Thanks for adding some new functions / tests.

My pleasure - let me know what I can do to help. I design software for a living so it's nice to contribute a little to the design of something different for a change! For the function tests, I think you generally want to keep them as short as possible so you can show as many of them as possible. For things that would take a long time to demonstrate (clearing a little area of brush) and would be boring and counter productive to demonstrate in real time, a before and after shot would do the trick.

A couple of other functions you could try to integrate would be a nail puller (should be easy to integrate with a pry bar and a can opener (on the fence about this one myself).

-Bill

ETA: I forgot to add anything about sheath functionality. I prefer kydex, with plenty of mounting holes....spaced properly for a tek-lok. All the sheath needs to do is protect the edge, and keep the knife readily accessible....however the user decides its best to mount it.

Atmay,

In this case, the design team is actually looking at the sheath as an integral part of the overall "kit", so in the end, the sheath will likely serve to do much more than just hold the knife ready and protect the blade. Yes, it must absolutely do that, but in this case I think we'll end up with a great deal more.

I also agree with you that a double edge knife, while useful as a fighting tool, severly hampers most utility uses. I've left the comments on my notes for the design team, but at most, I think we'll be looking at 1-2 inches of back edge.

As several have commented, the design team is favoring a two-knife + single sheath combination right now.

- - - Updated - - -

My pleasure - let me know what I can do to help. I design software for a living so it's nice to contribute a little to the design of something different for a change!

I design integrated circuits myself - so I know what you mean.

If money is not an issue: I'd get a Busse. Either a Battle Mistress or a Nuclear Meltdown Special Forces Natural Outlaw.

Battle Mistress:
7131b120.jpg

NMSFNO:

busse-nmsfno.jpg

If cash flow is an issue, then a Becker BK9:

Ka-Bar_BK9_Becker___37392_zoom.jpg

Atmay,

In this case, the design team is actually looking at the sheath as an integral part of the overall "kit", so in the end, the sheath will likely serve to do much more than just hold the knife ready and protect the blade. Yes, it must absolutely do that, but in this case I think we'll end up with a great deal more.

I also agree with you that a double edge knife, while useful as a fighting tool, severly hampers most utility uses. I've left the comments on my notes for the design team, but at most, I think we'll be looking at 1-2 inches of back edge.

As several have commented, the design team is favoring a two-knife + single sheath combination right now.

- - - Updated - - -

I design integrated circuits myself - so I know what you mean.

Shade,

I think sheaths that do any/much more than keep things safe and accessible are (or can be) a huge detriment to utility.

I do like the two knife idea though. I've seen piggyback sheaths before and done well, they're pretty cool.

Cut, chop, and saw. Never dull, or self-sharpening. Hunt, fight, and work. Maybe use as spear for fishing/hunting. Use as shovel. Use as whistle/communication when swung in circle on string.

I'd like to have a prybar type butt end on an integral knife. THe ends of the guard doubling as emergency screwdrivers. Lanyard loophole is a must. Also, it should be takedown style, with screws holding the scales in place, and maybe have a tiny little compartment in the scales, just for a folded bill or something. Drop point with a full edge on one side, and half edge on the back, to be able to use the half edge for smaller tasks. I want the knife to be as low maintenance as possible, so a stainless steel would be best.
I think that the sheath is at least as important as the knife, so I'd like an ambidextrous sheath ("dangle sheath"), preferably not leather (maintenance) with a compartment for storage.

AK47 bayo style wire cutter. The world is full of wire , and having an onboard system to avoid trashing the blade is pure ( commie ) genius.

Anyone ever see a flint bar ( for sparks ? ) built into the sheath ? Seems obvious , but I never have seen it done.

-Thick enough you can chop wood by hitting the backstrap without damaging the knife.
-Full Tang for strength
-built in bolt cutters so one can cut through fences and cheap locks (could be built into sheath)
-ability to stab, must have a pointed tip.

I was thinking of a knife inside the handle of a survival tomahawk... like the gerber knife in axe combo but more "Badass"

A friend of mine is working on a business venture - developing a high end "ultimate survival knife" for wealthier clients who fancy themselves "preppers". He asked me to provide him some design help, so I thought I'd toss this out:

If you were looking for an "Ultimate Zombie Apocolpyse Survival Knife" what functions would it be able to do?

Please don't list features, rather list functions - In your mind, what should the knife + sheath be able to accomplish?

If you were evaluating a "survival" knife, what tests would you put it through to see how well it works?

I already made it. It is called a Borneo Parang and is a cross between several survival knives/machetes including Ray Mears and others. I make mine from 6150 steel (hardness 58-60), which IMO, is the toughest steel for a survival tool that is going to be beat to death chopping cutting and the blade contacting the ground and rocks. 6150 should hold an edge better than 5160 and is a high carbon, chrome, vanadium steel. It will rust and tarnish so you have to take care of it. Overall length is 19", blade is 13" (note how the hand is behind the cutting part of the blade), spine is 6mm and weighs 1.5lbs.

http://machetes.weebly.com/uploads/1/1/5/0/11501439/7176667_orig.jpg

http://machetes.weebly.com/uploads/1/1/5/0/11501439/8070861_orig.jpg

Based on:

http://i47.tinypic.com/sux8ud.jpg - ray mears type
http://i45.tinypic.com/1zeuq05.jpg - Duku Chandong
http://i46.tinypic.com/357rq51.jpg - parang and another Duku Chandong
http://i45.tinypic.com/244yu6c.jpg - sere bolo
http://i50.tinypic.com/2hcnn7r.jpg - another parang
http://i45.tinypic.com/537ds8.jpg - another Duku
http://i47.tinypic.com/2uj3ts8.jpg -another ray mears type

Last edited:
Back