Ultimate Survival Knife

Mass General Laws 269-10(b)

Great info fellas...cant help myself...it is imperative that Mass residents pay attention to MGL 269-10(b) when purchasing knives. Many, Many knives fall uner the criteria set forth in this law. Additionally, most cities and towns have enacted municipal ordinances prohibiting the carrying of knives with a blade in excess of 2.5 inches-this offense usually carries a $100 fine. Violations under 269-10(b) could be either a felony or misdemeanor: either way if you get jammed up in this area you risk loss of LTC or FID.
Ive carried the same fixed blade Buck Pathfinder for over twenty years.

WOW you take great care of the knife and sheath, is it for collection? My stuff looks like it’s been through a war and back.

For Reference, here's the MGL Chapter 269 Section 10b refered to above

(b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years in the state prison, or for not less than six months nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction, except that, if the court finds that the defendant has not been previously convicted of a felony, he may be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction.

The section on Knives:

any stiletto (no definition, classically a stiletto was a strong, thin bladed dagger for stabbing through maille armor, who knows what the modern definition is)
dagger (Again, no definition for a dagger)
or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position (So a lock-blade that can be drawn in the open position??? Can't any lock-blade be drawn while open?)
any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism (Find me a detachable blade that can't be propelled by some mechanism?? While I know what they meant, what they said actually bans any knife with a removable blade, typical)
dirk knife (Again, no defintion, presumably this referes to the next phase)
any knife having a double-edged blade (So, no spear points or bayonets in MA)
or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches (I believe Kershaw's Spring Assist does not fall into this since the spring requires you to over-come it's pre-loaded force before the blade snaps out)

anyone have any experience w/ the Glock field knives? they seem pretty basic, no fancy serrations or compartments.

Glock_Feldmesser_FM_78.JPG

anyone have any experience w/ the Glock field knives? they seem pretty basic, no fancy serrations or compartments.

Glock knives and entrenching tools pre-date the glock sidearms.

Glock was supplying the Austrian Army with knives and entrenching tools and the Austrian Army believed their quality was sufficient to consider evaluating a "plastic gun" made by the same company as their standard issue sidearm. That a military organization was willing to consider a "plastic gun" made by the company who makes their field knives speaks volumes if their impression of the quality of their knives.

or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches (I believe Kershaw's Spring Assist does not fall into this since the spring requires you to over-come it's pre-loaded force before the blade snaps out)

I'd like to think so too - I have an SOG Flash I (2.5") and a Flash II (3.5"), and one of them is usually on me when I'm not in the office. The assisted open is pretty quick. Reading this thread I'm starting to think that carrying the Flash II isn't a great idea.

Playing devil's advocate on this, how is the force necessary to get these started any different than the force needed to move the switch of a switch blade? The only difference I see is that in one case you're moving the blade itself, and in the other you're just moving something that's holding the blade back.

New Guy,

Hence why I quuoted the law and only offered my interpritations as "I believe" I'm not a lawyer, I don't play one on TV. There are a lot of nuiances in that law for lawyers to argue. Honestly, I think a lot of laws are specifically written to provide lawyers (who most of the legislator are) with reliable, high-paying jobs.

New Guy,

Hence why I quuoted the law and only offered my interpritations as "I believe" I'm not a lawyer, I don't play one on TV. There are a lot of nuiances in that law for lawyers to argue. Honestly, I think a lot of laws are specifically written to provide lawyers (who most of the legislator are) with reliable, high-paying jobs.

I hear ya - just wanted to throw it out there as it's a topic I've wondered about myself in the past. For my own purposes, I guess I should be more concerned with carrying a 3.5" blade on me.

And for the record, I think you're giving our wonderful legislators too much credit. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom