Ultimate Survival Knife

The other nice thing to remember about the SOG multi-tools - especially the PowerLock, is that the pliers/wirecutters actually grip and cut stuff. Leathermans have crapped out on me trying to cut stuck security tag wire at Dicks. The SOG chomps em...

With some paracord king cobra stitches

90pq3l.jpg

Leatherman's have always been nothing but amazing for me. Even the little Juice. It's handled jobs that I thought it was too weak to handle. It constantly surprises me.

But... I guess with anything... some will love em... and some will hate em.

I dislike Leatherman's stance on firearms... but my experience with their product remains an excellent one.

I have a Gerber multi-tool, I like it.......but a multi tool would not be considered the ultimate knife for a survival situation in my book. it just couldn’t handle the work load.

Here's a Survival knife on the cheap. The funding isn't there for a $100+ knife, so I grabbed this one while browsing the tools at Harbor Freight.

The blade is supposedly stainless steel and is 3/16" thick, with a wood saw on the top of the blade.

The knife is 14 1/4" OAL and the blade is 8" long. The cap screws off and contains a compass, with room in the handle for storage.

It cost a whole..............$8.99[rofl]

Anyway, here's the budget survival knfe...

DSC01669.JPG

That knife is a liability. If you need to use it to chop or batton and the breaks at the handle (and it will) it could cause you a world of hurt. A Frost Mora knife would be infinately more useful for only a few dollars more.

I just don’t get it? Skimp on such a vital tool, I see it sooo much, folks preach survival this and survival that and then when it comes to gear they go cheap, when you might need it the worst you depend on the worst equipment. It just make no sense?

I just don’t get it? Skimp on such a vital tool, I see it sooo much, folks preach survival this and survival that and then when it comes to gear they go cheap, when you might need it the worst you depend on the worst equipment. It just make no sense?

Didn't you notice the [rofl] icon when I mentioned the price? The post was more of a joke than anything. It was a cheap knife I couldn't pass up.

For any serious survival stuff, you betcha I'd be spending money on a quality knife.

I liked that Gerber LMF 2 so much I bought the co... well, I bought the knife anyway. Seems to have a lot going for it, if you fall in the serrations are not bad camp that is.

I've had a timberline specwar before and loved it.
it's hard to beat for a good solid weight, great blade, if you break it, it probably saved your life.
like this one: http://www.botachtactical.com/tiemspkn.html
I currently (for camping) carry a too heavy + big
but can put it through a door custom blade a buddy made for me.
it'd be too heavy for most. so for a production model, I recommend the specwar.

I've had a timberline specwar before and loved it.
it's hard to beat for a good solid weight, great blade, if you break it, it probably saved your life.
like this one: http://www.botachtactical.com/tiemspkn.html
I currently (for camping) carry a too heavy + big
but can put it through a door custom blade a buddy made for me.
it'd be too heavy for most. so for a production model, I recommend the specwar.

Welcome to the forum!

Just saw a Buck 119 last weekend, and it looked pretty nice.

I carried one in the Army for a few years (I used a KaBar at times, too). I had the 119 in Panama, it handled the tropical conditions really well, and even chopped me out of the jungle once (yes, a machete wold have been preferable. No, I NEVER made the mistake of going into the jungle without a machete after that one time).
It was submerged with me ont he Panama Canal for hours, rained on, crawled around in the mud, etc. I still have it, it still works. I have batoned wood with it, it's not a GREAT chopper, but realistically you should be chopping with an axe.

When I'm out and about in the woods I carry what I call my "Bushcraft Bag". It's an Eagle day pack I keep my stuff in. Paracord, some nails, a sewing kit, a small fishing kit, etc....

For cutting stuff I like to have with me-
A folding pruning saw
A Wetterlings Large Forest Axe
and my EDC-
SAK
Leatherman Wave
and either a Kershaw 1760 or a Buck Lite (forget the model, a 110 blade, lightweight handle). I like the Bucklite for making feather sticks, the Kershaw is a bit thin in the handle for me.

If I had to choose one knife, or if I'm busting around with no pack, my Cold Steel ODA.

Need pictures. Maybe someone can do some side by side pictures of some of these, or scale different pictures and put them all next to each other. It really would help.

Back
Top Bottom