Ultimate Survival Knife

Oh I see, now we have to pick the type of survival situation??? not to be rude folks but if you have to have a different knife for every different survival situations, “you are screwed”

I thought the question was Ultimate survival Knife, one knife in your car, out camping, urban, search and rescue???
I don’t think I would pick any of the knives mentioned if I had my choice. Don’t get me wrong some of the knives are Awesome!!!.

Oh I see, now we have to pick the type of survival situation??? not to be rude folks but if you have to have a different knife for every different survival situations, “you are screwed”

I thought the question was Ultimate survival Knife, one knife in your car, out camping, urban, search and rescue???
I don’t think I would pick any of the knives mentioned if I had my choice. Don’t get me wrong some of the knives are Awesome!!!.

Sooooooooo what's your Ultimate Survival Knife?

syntax no problem, but first let me ask one question? What would be the primary functioned you would need this knife to do in any survival situation?

Reading this thread and am really interested.. But, confused. What exactly should the survival knife do, or be able to do? Is the survival knife the be all end all does it all tool? Or is this used in conjunction with a machete/ axe and saw?
It seems like there are several schools on this one, The small straight blade, being used primarily for food prep, and the large/ multi use type (like the bushman or with a saw back etc).

Not saying one is right or wrong as I don't have a clue.. But curious..

syntax no problem, but first let me ask one question? What would be the primary functioned you would need this knife to do in any survival situation?

i would say skinning, prepping food, protection, fire prep, shelter building, hunting...

what type of knife are you trying to get to here?

if you dont think any of these knives are worth crap, then you are screwed [laugh]

Chrisg67…”what type of knife are you trying to get to here?”

The ultimate Knife??, that’s what the original question was right? I just asked what are the function’s of the knife, What’s it have to do to build a shelter? what’s it have to do to make fire? I think a lot of folks pick knives and they don’t know why??? That’s why they ask. “what do you like”

Chrisg67…”what type of knife are you trying to get to here?”

The ultimate Knife??, that’s what the original question was right? I just asked what are the function’s of the knife, What’s it have to do to build a shelter? what’s it have to do to make fire? I think a lot of folks pick knives and they don’t know why??? That’s why they ask. “what do you like”

ok

I think the ultimate survival knife should be able to do the following:

hunting/skinning/food prep/shelter building/protection/help with egress from a vehicle or building (ie: be able to pry).

So for me, a knife with a thick blade (good for prying), and a convex edge (generally stronger and will not chip) is key for me, as is a full tang.

This is why I prefer the Bark River Bravo 1 and Fallkniven F1.

The real answer is that a knife is useless if you don't know how to use it. The knife isn't going to survive for you, that's up to you. As long as it has a strong, sturdy blade all the accessories are just an added luxury.

Marcus, I agree and disagree. Taken at face value and all things equal and two people understand how to use a knife, there will still be the question of which is the ultimate knife? A’s or B’s of choice?

The real answer is that a knife is useless if you don't know how to use it. The knife isn't going to survive for you, that's up to you. As long as it has a strong, sturdy blade all the accessories are just an added luxury.

I have a paring knife with a strong, sturdy, 2" blade. If that was all that was available, I would use it. That's not the point. The question is, what luxuries are worth having, and what are the important characteristics of blade and edge geometry and metallurgy.

I haven't done much hunting or skinning, but in my experience carbon steel holds an edge much better than even the best stainless, convex edges withstand more abuse than concave ones.

I haven't done much hunting or skinning, but in my experience carbon steel holds an edge much better than even the best stainless, convex edges withstand more abuse than concave ones.

yes and no...
yes carbon steel takes a great edge, providing the heattreat, and edge geometry is right...
but there are many great stainless steels out there that take and hold an incredible edge, same goes for stainless,proper heatreat, and edge geometry...
awhile back i made a competition knife out of s30v stainless, that would cut,chop,and still shave hair with the best carbon steels...
here is a quick video a freind took of a free hanging rope cut with that knife...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04yze3l17t8

not that's not a steel for everyone, it can be a bear to sharpen...
cpm154 on the other hand cuts like the devil holds a great edge, and is reletivly easy to sharpen...
althou i do still like carbon steels, they with out a doubt can't hold the title of being the superior material :)
Joe

I'm not a big fan of turning a knife into a storage compartment.

I like the SOG Seal/Seal Pup.

Amen brother - I have a SOG Seal Pup, with a SOG PowerLock multi tool in the pouch, (what it's there for). Other than the black sheath color, (want one in OD), it's an Ultimate survival knife in my book. Rambo popularized the hollow handle survival knives - hell, even I bought one. They are however in most cases, substandard knives at a substandard price with substandard components tucked inside a substandard package...YMMV

Amen brother - I have a SOG Seal Pup, with a SOG PowerLock multi tool in the pouch, (what it's there for). Other than the black sheath color, (want one in OD), it's an Ultimate survival knife in my book. Rambo popularized the hollow handle survival knives - hell, even I bought one. They are however in most cases, substandard knives at a substandard price with substandard components tucked inside a substandard package...YMMV

+3
The SOG "Seal Pup" was my choice. The SOG Multi-tool looks good too.
I consider it good value @ $60 bucks.(so far good!)
sealnife002.jpg

+3
The SOG "Seal Pup" was my choice. The SOG Multi-tool looks good too.
I consider it good value @ $60 bucks.(so far good!)
sealnife002.jpg

Amen again brother...When we finally hook up to make some 9mm evaporate, I'll bring my SOG. It outclasses anything, (and I mean anything) Tim Leatherman could dream of dreaming to dream up....It's nuke-proof...

Amen again brother...When we finally hook up to make some 9mm evaporate, I'll bring my SOG. It outclasses anything, (and I mean anything) Tim Leatherman could dream of dreaming to dream up....It's nuke-proof...

How big is it compared to a leatherman wave or a swiss army rescue?

I was just looking at that last night in an SOG brochure thinking "That's what I've been looking for in a fixed blade." I'll add that to the "to get" list.

I'd LOVE to see all these compared side by side! It really matters to hold them in your hand. I like them all, but I'm sure one or two will "fit" (feel) better.

Oh, and on the steel, I have a folding knife in M2 tool steel. It is coated with some fancy paint, but it doesn't rust, so for all intents and purposes as far as I am concerned, it is "stainless", though it isn't considered a stainless steel.

Just received two SOG multi-tools... one for me and one for the son. What a nice piece of kit. The knife is razor sharp and there are lots of very handy gadgets. Definitely worth the extra dough IMHO.

anyone familiar with Anza knives? they are made from tool files. pretty darn good prices too http://www.anzaknives.com/ might have to check those out.

and also R. Murphy knives? they generally make utility work knives but they have a sportsman knife im eyeing. under $23 and made right in Ayer, MA. Emailed them seeing if they sell from their shop and if so going to run by tomorrow and grab something.

http://www.rmurphyknives.com/store/hunting-knives.html

Back
Top Bottom