Ultimate Survival Knife

I hate the term "Ultimate" but it seems to be a huge buzz word lately. I was looking through my Sportsman's Guide catalog and came across this:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/ultimate-survival-knife.aspx?a=556284

8 1/2" Type 440 (high-carbon Stainless Steel) blade
13" over-all length 1 1/2 lbs (big and heavy, make-shift hatchet?)
Screw cap w/ compass and sealed storage area for emergency tools. (I'd likely move the line and hooks, which don't need a sealed enviornment and replace them with iodine tablets, which do need to stay dry)
plus a compartment for 4 rounds of ammunition, upto 30.06? My normal rifles are .308, but that's the same base and shorter round, so that's good to go.

Also, if the sheath is properly "cord wrapped" and not "cord wrapped and glued in place" you have additional cord in an emergency.

Anyone used one of these? Have comments? Strongly thinking about picking one up, but I'd like to hear other's opinions.

Hollow handle knives as you are probably aware, are not known for being overly rugged, the problem being a weakened tang. 440 steel comes in several grades from junk to superb. I'd suggest www.knifeforums.com as a good source of information on the subject. Another thought, there are several after market manufacturers of high quality sheaths which have integral pouches in which small items may be stored. Available in various blade lengths you may build your knife kit to your own taste. Good luck in the search.

This is not a good knife. Let me know your budget and I will give you a few suggestions and even give you one at my cost. But don't buy that thing.

I am aware of the issues with hollow handled knives. I have a number of solid, full tang knives of my own, was curious about opinions.

i feel that people think rambo knives when thinking survival knives...

my opinion on a survival knife is one that is very strong yet flexible so not to break, NOT serrated so easy to sharpen, big enough to do tasks like cutting branches and maybe prepping an animal for eating/cooking...but small enough to use for cooking, prepping small game and other everyday tasks.

check out the Fallkniven F1....IMO that is the 'ultimate survival knife'

i feel that people think rambo knives when thinking survival knives...

my opinion on a survival knife is one that is very strong yet flexible so not to break, NOT serrated so easy to sharpen, big enough to do tasks like cutting branches and maybe prepping an animal for eating/cooking...but small enough to use for cooking, prepping small game and other everyday tasks.

check out the Fallkniven F1....IMO that is the 'ultimate survival knife'

+1 Preparing food is a very important part of this tools job.

When I choose a knife a like to use it for a week or so in the kitchen just to get the feel of it. It is an experience if you have never tried it.

Here's mine:

kaspercompanion.jpg

Polkowski/Kasper Companion

1/8" thick full tang fixed with 4" blade. Top is a 'false' edge.

Steel is: 154CM

Mine has a simple G10 handle unlike the one in the photo.

Not cheap, and there is a wait for it, but a very good all around knife.

http://www.polkowskiknives.com/docs/personaldefenseknives.htm

my only issue with that, is the potenially weak tip because of the false top edge... but i guess if you arent doing any serious work with the tip of it, it shouldnt be an issue and will help with stabbing cute little animals

My vote would be for a "Randall Made", Orlando, FL.

Model #1 in a 6, 7, or 8 inch blade. Carbon steel or SS which ever you perfer.

You can customize it any way you want too. Long waiting line though.

Very popular with our armed forces since the Vietnam War, perhaps even before.

Check out their website.

www.randallknives.com/

My vote would be for a "Randall Made", Orlando, FL.

Model #1 in a 6, 7, or 8 inch blade. Carbon steel or SS which ever you perfer.

You can customize it any way you want too. Long waiting line though.

Very popular with our armed forces since the Vietnam War, perhaps even before.

Check out their website.

www.randallknives.com/

I have a Randall and love it and they usually have some at Kittery trading post but I think you can get a great knife for alot less, When you buy a Randall you are paying for a custom knife.

I don't have one. Like the others, I wouldn't buy one.

There are plenty of other solutions to the 'knife and some gear' problem, like pockets.

It is 7.35 ounces... nicely weighted for me. And they skeletonized the tang to center the weight over the index finger when holding the knife... so it was less about making it lighter as it was about making the knife better handling [grin]

I'd prefer a good hatchet/small axe, a Swiss Army Knife with a saw and scissors, and a Mora knife for the fixed blade.

that being said my faviorite fixed blade is patterned after the Randall Model 1, the Cold Steel ODA or the Military Classic.

What ever happened to the basic Buck knife??

Nothing. The buck 110 folding hunter is a great knife for small game hunting I use one all the time (hunting). I won't take the abuse and the twisting that is sometime required in a survival knife but I would sure feel well prepared with that knife.

Back
Top Bottom