Ugh! Snow blower won't start

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I prepped the 7-yr old Arien blower over a month ago for the season: new plug, oil, fresh gas with Sta-put. It ran a few minutes an I put it away happily.

Today I couldn't get it started on pull string so I tried the electric starter. It started on full choke and eventually ran a few cycles on closed choke and stopped. I tried to pull the starter string again and there was much more resistance than usual: feels like I could break the string if pulled hard enough.

Any ideas? Unfortunately, I won't have time to look under the cover for the next few days.

TIA,

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get some ether. put it on choke and spray the carb while turning it over. once it starts on choke, switch it to "run" and give it some gas. if it wants to cut out, spray the carb with ether until it will run on it's own.

it could need some carb adjustments, but you should be able to get it to at least run a bit without too much trouble. ether/starter fluid works wonders.

also might want to check your gas...is it last years? if so i'd throw some dry gas in, or drain the tank and get fresh gas. i'd start with ether though.

(edit): nevermind, just re-read that the gas is 1 month old. :doh:

(second edit): by the way you're describing it, does the motor turn over with a ton of resistance? or does it not turn over at all? if option #2, i'd take the spark plug out and turn it over a few cycles and watch the gasoline spray like a champion, your motor is probably hydrolocked with excess fuel from overpriming it. if it's experiencing a lot of resistance, it could be a whole nother can of worms.

is it a 4 stroke? if so, did you check the oil? if it's a 2 stroke, have you properly mixed the oil/gas? also, if you put TOO much oil in the gas, it'll be a hard start, and will foul your spark plug a lot sooner. too little oil, and you've got engine damage issues possibly.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
most likely a carb issue, sounds to me like its flooded. bad carb float maybe? a new float should cost about $10 and a rebuild kit with all new gaskets, orings, jets etc is about $15.
If you take the cover off the carb you should be able to get a better idea whats going on.

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Thanks everyone. It's a 4-stoke. The key is always in. The engine can turn over a few cycles but stops afterward, then the pull string feels stuck. I'll check on the carb when I get some time. I will also take off the belt cover to make sure no belts are damaged.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does it stop, and then next time you try it will turn over again? could be a weak battery. chances are it's just sat around a while, the carb needs some action through it. i'd try the ether before i started turning screws. if you can't seem to get it to run right, that's when i'd take a deeper look.

chinalfr

NES Member
Rating - 100%
89   0   0
I prepped the 7-yr old Arien blower over a month ago for the season: new plug, oil, fresh gas with Sta-put. It ran a few minutes an I put it away happily.

Today I couldn't get it started on pull string so I tried the electric starter. It started on full choke and eventually ran a few cycles on closed choke and stopped. I tried to pull the starter string again and there was much more resistance than usual: feels like I could break the string if pulled hard enough.

Any ideas? Unfortunately, I won't have time to look under the cover for the next few days.

TIA,
From you info above, the snowblower started on electric starter. Why need to use the pull string? Belt only use to drive the auger or drivetrain. I will not be use until you engage the tensional.

If you can start the blower with full open choke (electric start), let it run for a few mins.

Depend on where you store the blower, check the fuel line. You might gave frozen fuel line that will prevent the fuel delivery.

My craftsmen blower also 7 years old. I just need to push the fuel primer several times, wide open the choke, crank the electric starter and off I go. Warm up the engine, close choke, and go for some fun. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
get some ether.
Works great, but not a long term solution. This got me through a season with a hard to start blower. I had it tuned up over the summer a few years ago and it's been starting on the first pull ever since.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's a diagnostic tool...it'll run your engine hell or high water, but when it's running, you can tell whats wrong at that point. if it sputters, tries to die, you know it's an ignition/fuel problem, if it backfires, runs rough with lots of smoke, you know it's flooding. chances are the carb needs a tune up, to be cleaned, or to be rebuilt...but if you get it running on ether, at least you'll have an idea of what's wrong.

terraformer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
32   0   0

TIA,
Use the electric starter and let it run with the choke for a little bit. That stabilizer is crap.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
my son just bought a new ariens, the dealer suggested using 93 octane,

lest ehtanol less chance of freezing... i also use a fuel preservative year

round...

i second the diagnoses on "stay put" and it is.

you could have water in the fuel, i would dump what you have in your vehicle

shouldn't hurt it, make sure the gas can is empty and go get some 93

octane. don't use ether a lot, that stuff burns very hot and could damage

your engine. check the plug, take it out and lay it on some metal and

crank it, you should see a nice spark... new plugs can be junk.....

if its ok then its got be the carb. the fuel and plug have been eliminated.

finding parts should not be a problem. one other thing, drain the fuel tan,

you can buy a siphon rig at any ACE for $3.99 they work great.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I had the same problem with my lawnmower. I dropped the carb bowl and cleaned it out - there was a bunch of debris and rust in there. Also cleaned off/out the carb while the bowl was off and it ran fine after that. Use carb spray to help dislodge any particulate matter.

The 93 octane gas might still contain 10% ethanol, check the pump. The refineries can blend up the octane number to offset the lower energy value of the ethanol. I would be more concerned about water in the gas than EtOH content.

Top Bottom