• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

U.S. Supreme Court Schedules NRA-Supported Second Amendment Case for Argument

mikeyp

NES Member
I didn't see this posted

NRA-ILA | U.S. Supreme Court Schedules NRA-Supported Second Amendment Case for Argument

In January, the U.S. Supreme Court agreed to hear a Second Amendment challenge to a gun control law for the first time in nearly 10 years. The case arose from a New York City regulation that banned city residents with “premises” handgun licenses from taking their own legally-owned firearms outside Gotham for lawful purposes. The city defended the law all the way to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, insisting it was essential to public safety. But ever since the Supreme Court agreed to hear the appeal of that decision, city and state officials in New York have been running scared, desperately maneuvering to convince the justices to dismiss it. Now, it seems, their reckoning may be nigh, as the high court has scheduled the case for argument on Dec. 2.

The lawsuit, New York State Rifle & Pistol Assoc., Inc. v. City of New York, offers a revealing look into the mindset of gun control extremists, and in particular, their refusal to acknowledge the Supreme Court’s precedents that recognize the right to keep and bear arms as a fundamental, individual liberty.

Indeed, over a decade after the Supreme Court made clear that handguns are a protected Second Amendment “arm” and cannot be banned, New York State still generally prohibits the mere possession of pistols and revolvers. State residents, however, may qualify for an “exception” to this ban by obtaining a license issued by the locality in which they reside. The difficulty of obtaining a license depends on where in the state a person lives.

New York City, to no one’s surprise, is the most onerous place to get a handgun license. For the “average” person (that is, for someone who is not well-connected to city officialdom or rich and famous) the only feasible choice is a “premises license.” That license allows a person to keep a handgun in his or her home or place of business. Even then, the process takes many months, multiple trips to police headquarters, and hundreds of dollars in mandatory fees. Licensing officials also have broad discretion to deny licenses, even when the applicant has no criminal convictions.

Until this court case arose, premises licensees could only transport their firearms outside their homes for narrowly circumscribed purposes, and only then, if the firearm were unloaded and in a locked container and separated from any ammunition. Licensees could visit a shooting range within the city itself, for example, but they could not leave the city with their own guns, even for lawful purposes like firearm training or competition or to take the gun to a second residence elsewhere in the state.

City officials tried to justify these restrictions by claiming they could not keep tabs on licensees who left New York City, although they had no evidence the licensees were causing problems with their handguns beyond city limits. The thinking seemed to be that unless New York City bureaucrats somehow monitored and documented every place licensees went with a handgun and what they did with it, the licensees must be doing something bad.

Courts in New York (including federal courts), do not like the Second Amendment, which emboldens the state’s anti-gun officials to pass ridiculous, overreaching, and punitive gun control laws like New York City’s travel ban. Thus, the ban survived judicial scrutiny all the way to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.

But the U.S. Supreme Court has repeatedly made clear that the Second Amendment protects a fundamental, individual right to keep and bear arms – including handguns – for lawful purposes, particularly self-defense. Nevertheless, the court has since 2010 declined to hear any Second Amendment cases challenging gun control laws. In the interim, however, President Trump has appointed two new justices to the court – Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh – with strong records of taking the Second Amendment seriously.

And so it was in January that when the plaintiffs in the New York City case asked the court to review the Second Circuit’s decision upholding New York City’s travel ban, the court agreed.

New York City initially reacted with defiance, but as the reality began to sink in that they would finally have to justify their laws against serious judicial scrutiny, they began to furiously backpedal. First, the city amended its regulations to allow the plaintiffs to take their handguns to ranges and residences outside city limits. Then state officials got into the act, passing a law to underscore that handgun licensees could transport their licensed handguns for certain permissible purposes. The city then asked the court to dismiss the case, claiming they had given the plaintiffs everything they wanted.

The plaintiffs, however, urged the court to go forward, noting that the recent laws could always be changed and that New York City handgun licensees still remained subject to the anti-gun whims of city officials. Only a clear Second Amendment ruling could protect their rights in the long term.

The court responded by scheduling a hearing in October on the question of whether the case should go forward.

In the meantime, however, five anti-gun U.S. senators stuck their noses into the matter by submitting a “friend of the court” brief in August authored by Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI). More an unhinged political rant than a legal argument, the brief essentially accused the court of unprofessional political bias, insisted that it not hear the case, and warned that the court might need to be “restructured” to be more favorable to Democrats.

Perhaps it is a merely a coincidence that it took the court just over a month since that brief was filed to schedule a case that had been pending since January.

Nevertheless, it is not a forgone conclusion that the court will even hear the case in December, much less that it will issue a sweeping ruling on the right to keep and bear arms that will finally bring Second Amendment deniers like New York City to heel. The case could still end at the October procedural hearing without being decided on the merits.

Will the Supreme Court hear the case in December en route to a sweeping ruling on arms? It remains unclear. What is clear is the need for a lawful ruling the finally brings Second Amendment deniers like New York City to heel.

Don't get too excited. The case may be moot. The justices will consider the mootness angle during their 'long' conference on October 1st. We'll know shortly after whether this case goes forward. But don't worry, there are plenty of back-up petitions in the pipeline.

I can see the media covering a "suspected mass shooter" every day the last week of November and the suspect will be a White male dressed in camouflage wielding a "military gun" and "tactical vest."

09362851f3f355ae58077cb11b3a5f3a.jpg

Don't get too excited. The case may be moot. The justices will consider the mootness angle during their 'long' conference on October 1st. We'll know shortly after whether this case goes forward. But don't worry, there are plenty of back-up petitions in the pipeline.

in considering mootness, does SCOTUS have a vehicle available to remedy the issue of the bad circuit-level precedent created by the Appellate decision in this case? Is that ruling allowed to live on as the controlling decision in the 2nd circuit? It would seem to be a terrible injustice for any party to be able to win a circuit-level precedent and then preserve it by mooting the case before SCOTUS can review it. This would be the exploitation of a loophole at its finest.

I don't like the idea government can repeal a law and somehow that allows a court case to stop that is in the appeals process. This wreaks of potential abuse because nothing is stopping the law from being passed again going forward.

Fingers crossed on Werman VS Healey but I'm not expecting as much success. As someone stated before, New York has already caused a great deal of unjustifiable harm to the point that backpedaling can't hide it and, as they hoped, make it a moot point.

Hoping that this NYC case is a slam dunk for us and opens the floodgates for more decisions. All these fruitless and "open ended" laws need to start getting slapped down.

Last edited:
Dupe, we have a thread on this

This isn’t intended as a knock on you, it is standard etiquette on the site to point this out, and for good reason.

That being said, the more discussion the better on these issues. I think the tendency towards keeping everything tidy can sometimes be counterproductive. Some of the mega-threads can be a bit daunting to some, and having some short and sweet “footnotes” or “tangent” type threads could possibly do wonders for encouraging folks to stay somewhat informed. Possibly including links to the mothership threads might be wise for those inclined to wade in.

Doesn’t really apply to me, I waste countless hours reading through ridiculously long threads because, well, I guess I’m a glutton for punishment. I also doubt @mikeyp is going to take any offense being a battle hardened NES’er. I am more just spitballing the idea thinking of the larger masses.

Take my €.02 for the €.00 it’s worth...

This isn’t intended as a knock on you, it is standard etiquette on the site to point this out, and for good reason.
What's NES Standard Practice
is to complain that a thread is a dup
without deigning to link to the alleged original thread.

"Left as an exercise to the reader", so to speak.

Or paraphrasing an old chestnut,
"the thread was hard to find, so it should be hard to find".

That being said, the more discussion the better on these issues. I think the tendency towards keeping everything tidy can sometimes be counterproductive. Some of the mega-threads can be a bit daunting to some, ...
Back when I used a substantially different technology to track active NES threads,
I would stop checking after a thread was idle for >48 hours.
(So that the Last Post timestamp was an absolute date -
not Today or Yesterday).

There was actually a brief shining moment when the Trump Megathread
went dormant for two days. I dropped it like a hot potato,
and one act alone has saved me innumerable man-weeks.

But in general, NESing is hard work.

If the NRA is supporting it, I’m suspicious of what they’re offering up. Why yes, we’ll agree AR-15’s should be confiscated if we only have to register our over/under trap guns.

What's NES Standard Practice
is to complain that a thread is a dup
without deigning to link to the alleged original thread.

"Left as an exercise to the reader", so to speak.

Or paraphrasing an old chestnut,
"the thread was hard to find, so it should be hard to find".

Back when I used a substantially different technology to track active NES threads,
I would stop checking after a thread was idle for >48 hours.
(So that the Last Post timestamp was an absolute date -
not Today or Yesterday).

There was actually a brief shining moment when the Trump Megathread
went dormant for two days. I dropped it like a hot potato,
and one act alone has saved me innumerable man-weeks.

But in general, NESing is hard work.

Ha ha. I use a variety of methods. First is the "search" function. I'll search for something, and if what comes up seems like what I was looking for, I'll reply to that. Isn't that why "search" exists. People seem to get their shorts in a knot if it is not a recent article. Too bad. The other thing is, I get emails for replies to articles I wrote something in. Once in a while, I'll clean out my email; sometimes by subject, other times by whatever has the most replies, sometimes just if something catches my eye. I have a ton of unread emails to click on, but rarely do. Sometimes, like today, I'll try search AND Google search, such as to find an article about the Pac-Nor barrel factory burning down. I didn't find anything, so started a new article on that, which was pretty promptly marked as a "dupe". Go figure. Oh well.

That's def a pet peeve lol, along with "cutesy" titles that you need to figure out wtf it's about

Yeah, I try to put the subject and a little other useful info in the titles.

I don't like the idea government can repeal a law and somehow that allows a court case to stop that is in the appeals process. This wreaks of potential abuse because nothing is stopping the law from being passed again going forward.
Any law makers who voted Yay on laws later found unconstitutional ought to have a mandatory sentence minimum of 1 year in the federal penitentiary. Deterrence against using power of the elected office to strip citizens’ right wholesale must be super strong.

Any law makers who voted Yay on laws later found unconstitutional ought to have a mandatory sentence minimum of 1 year in the federal penitentiary. Deterrence against using power of the elected office to strip citizens’ right wholesale must be super strong.

I LIKE IT!

I wish I could get you, @swatgig , @terraformer , @Knuckle Dragger , and maybe another person or two to come speak at my daughter's high school AP History class. Imagine having that sort of thinking hitting 20 young people all at once. This is how good ideas spread. History past, present, and future.

Legislators must have a mentality when it comes to constitutional rights, that ‘I’d better error on the side of abundant caution’, instead of ‘let’me throw shiite against the wall and the Severability clause will protect whatever doesn’t fall off’.

One year is not a super strong deterrent. Twenty years would be more like it and the bar to get a conviction should be as low as possible, making it easy to start putting away these maniacal rights violators.

So those that voted for abortion restrictions prior to Roe are to be arrested? Sometimes, law is “made” by the SC. Although in the vast majority of cases, I’d agree with you.

I'm actually for death penalty. Public mass hanging. One year is not a deterrence. Politicians go to jail and get re-elected all the time.

So those that voted for abortion restrictions prior to Roe are to be arrested? Sometimes, law is “made” by the SC. Although in the vast majority of cases, I’d agree with you.

Maybe if the penalty was death instead, when bad rulings were made people would start revolting.

The founders never intended this government to last forever. In fact many of them expressed surprise and concern the government had not been overthrown before they died.

Maybe if the penalty was death instead, when bad rulings were made people would start revolting.

The founders never intended this government to last forever. In fact many of them expressed surprise and concern the government had not been overthrown before they died.

We often have a belief that what we went through is supposed to be gone through again. Ergo, a group of folks that overthrew a government decide that it is easy to do so and is likely to happen within 30 years of the last one. Just like people who don't fly after a plane crashes or don't take any pills after a few people in Chicago die from tainted Tylenol.

Back
Top Bottom