• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

U.S. Marine Corps picks Colt for new pistol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was the competition limited to .45 calibre handguns? I'm confused on why the Beretta wasn't selected or even in the top 3 when it beat the Colt again and again during military trials prior to being issued in 1985.

Do a little homework on the history of the political I mean the pistol trials of the 1980's. The military wanted a 9mm so it was NATO standard, they also wanted DA/SA because that was perceived as state of the art back then.

We wanted some concessions from Italy at the time and the US decided to go with Beretta with the proviso that the bulk of them be made here which is why Beretta opened their plant in Maryland. Two winners emerged BTW: the Sig Sauer P226 and the Beretta 92. The per unit cost of the Sig was less, but the accessory package to include magazines and cleaning rods was more, so the total package per unit ended up slightly more than Beretta, so the Beretta was lowest bidder overall, and like I stated earlier, the US was currying political favor with the Italians at that time.

They're in the inventory because for most bombing missions they are more effective (payload-wise) and can turn around faster between sorties...

And you can load a bucket load of gravity nukes and rotary nukes in a very short period of time, so switching mission profiles ain't that hard.

QFTMFT

Even still, Force used them with a variety of replacement parts from Caspian, Springer, etc. Most of the guys I knew had either 100MPH tape or bicycle inner tube on the grip safety. They (1911s) looked like shit, but not a single one of the Marines carrying them would give them up in favor of an M9.

I have to believe that someone who carries firearms for a living knows what they're doing in this...

My last issued 1911 (Singer or IBM) had a faulty sear and would double, triple or go full auto every now and then. Finally the armorer caught on and fixed it. But it was fun while it lasted!

Not sure about others, but I have my reasons to not ever carry the M9/92. The grip isn't very comfortable and the ergonomics suck for me.

That is why I will never own one.
ETA:

LEOs mostly exempt from your quote. LOL

Um... yeah.

My last issued 1911 (Singer or IBM) had a faulty sear and would double, triple or go full auto every now and then. Finally the armorer caught on and fixed it. But it was fun while it lasted!
A full-auto 1911. That sounds like fun! Need one of those 40 round drums for it, though.

Wow that gun is beautiful.

drooling_homer.gif

I see what you did there. [laugh]
The only bad news here I that we have to go another 100 years listening to gloating about how superior the 1911 platform is... [laugh]

I know it works and it is a good gun, but I too have to wonder about capacity and mag changes compared to other 45 options out there that I know to be equally reliable.

Thomas Jane says:
July 20, 2012 at 21:10
I’m excited to see this gun staring at me from the cover of every stupid gun magazine at B&N next month. Maybe with headlines like “not your grandad’s .45″ or “King of CQB”. Also Glowing reviews from gun writers: “It flawlessly cycled 6 out of the seven rounds i fired”. Paging Leroy Thompson!

^ from the article comments. LOL

I did not read this whole thread but this was a bad decision. You are telling me with what HK and S&W currently produces a 100+ year old pistol that needs to be rebuilt like a top fuel dragster every month is the way to go?

Funny how the SEALS are getting it done with SIGS in 9mm.

Two years ago, I inherited an old Colt (made in the 1940's) from my Father. It was my Grandfathers while he was in the Army. It had not been fired or cleaned since the 1970's, it has just been sitting in a nightstand drawer. I brought it home and spent about three hours stripping it down and cleaning/oiling it. Went out the next day and put a Walmart white box (100 pack) through it...it didn't skip a beat. Nice gun and has sentimental value as well. [wink]

Anyone who thinks this stuff isn't 90% (or more) politically motivated is kidding themselves. The fact than an external safety was considered a good thing is all the proof one needs. 1911? GMAFB...

I did not read this whole thread but this was a bad decision. You are telling me with what HK and S&W currently produces a 100+ year old pistol that needs to be rebuilt like a top fuel dragster every month is the way to go?

Funny how the SEALS are getting it done with SIGS in 9mm.

And your expertise on these matters comes from?

Your money though. [wink]

Well yeah. Since you put it that way. [laugh]

Seriously though. If they feel as though the Colt 1911 is the most reliable for them, even though there may be 3 or 4 others out there, than kudos to them. I'll probably never shoot 15,000 rounds through mine. So, I guess I can't say too much on the matter. Just not sure why this is news.

I myself would think a higher capacity mag at the very least would of swayed them to another firearm.

These "trials" are designed from the beginning with a winner in mind.

EDIT:

Here you go, from last year: http://marinecorpstimes.com/news/2011/01/marine-marsoc-pistol-45cal-012511w/

The next weapon ideally will fire with the Corps’ existing .45-caliber pistol magazines, Marine officials said.

Yeah, because the current stock of magazines is really a valuable consideration when fielding the most effective combat weapon possible. It does narrow the competition down just a bit though, doesn't it? The fix was in. [thinking]

Last edited:
I thought this gun would look dumb, until I saw that picture.
shocker.gif
I love the color and the rail. +1 Marines

And I knew the 1911 barrel could be worn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom