U.S. Border Patrol Can Now Make Arrests In Coos County

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Beecher Falls, Vermont – U.S. Border Patrol agents can now make arrests in Coos County.
N.H. Commissioner of Public Safety John J. Barthelmes swore in Border Patrol agents from the Beecher Falls, Vermont Station last Thursday. This was the final step in the implementation of N.H. House Bill 1298.
http://berlindailysun.com/newsx/local-news/60539-u-s-border-patrol-sworn-in

I wasn't aware they previously didn't have the authority to make arrests within 100 miles of the border.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
They shouldn't. They belong on the border and nowhere else.
Right. With the exception of pursuits initiated at the border, or being called in by local authorities when they know illegals are involved, they shouldn't have the authority to initiate a stop or to detain someone past say a mile or two from the border. Here is their 100 mile map. There are like 7 or 8 states that are completely under their jurisdiction.

CatSnoutSoup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure NH is happy about that, they get more cops and the feds foot the bill, not the local taxpayers.
You are most probably right, however the flip side of that is that the federal officers are ultimately beholding to their paymaster and not the community.

If the county needs more cops then more of their federal tax dollars returned to pay salaries would be my go to rather than more feds with more power.

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98.4%
61   1   0
So looking at the map are in coastal states is the ocean considered a border.
Yes it is.

Wrt the title . . .

Legally Feds can't enforce local and state laws, and local/state LEOs can't enforce Fed laws.

So cross-swearing them in as "special <title here>" gives them cross authority. In that case, if the Feds arrest someone on Fed charges and find evidence of a local/state law violation they can add those charges and turn them over to the state/local DA for prosecution on the appropriate charges.

So as an example: They raid a place for illegals and find drug distribution materials, they can now add those charges. [Those that think that illegals only violate the law about staying in the Country illegally aren't realists. Plenty do other crimes as well.]

Don't expect the Feds to be running speed traps and pulling over cars for expired registration/stickers. That is not the intent and no they won't want to do that stuff either.

I have a friend in ICE who was cross-sworn as a Suffolk County Deputy Sheriff giving him that sort of power within that county.

ochmude

Marine Veteran
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Right. With the exception of pursuits initiated at the border, or being called in by local authorities when they know illegals are involved, they shouldn't have the authority to initiate a stop or to detain someone past say a mile or two from the border. Here is their 100 mile map. There are like 7 or 8 states that are completely under their jurisdiction.
A mile or two? About a week ago (Inauguration Day, in fact) I arrested an illegal in Mesa, AZ, which is about 125 miles from the border. I was able to do that because my jurisdiction completely covers all 50 states, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
More here:

In the North Country, U.S. Border Patrol is part of the NH law enforcement team

Up in the vast, remote and sparsely-populated reaches of Coos County, the cavalry wears many different uniforms, but is guided by one credo: When something happens, everyone goes.

Everyone includes local police and fire departments, New Hampshire Fish and Game, New Hampshire State Police and the U.S. Border Patrol.

Last June, the New Hampshire Legislature adopted House Bill 1298, which, among other things, permits Border Patrol agents - conditioned upon their completing a course at and certification by the N.H. Police Standards and Training Council - to "... make an arrest pursuant to New Hampshire law for violation of New Hampshire laws in Coos County.."

Sponsors of HB 1298 pointed out that while Border Patrol has long been a vital part of policing Coos County, the federal agents did not have the same immunity from liability that a state or municipal officer has. That changed on Jan. 1, when HB 1298 went into effect.

A swearing-in ceremony for the Border Patrol agents was held Jan. 19 at the N.H. State Police Troop F barracks in Twin Mountain.
http://www.unionleader.com/In-the-North-Country,-the-Border-Patrol-is-part-of-the-team

"If our troopers need assistance with manpower at accident scenes, domestic situations, burglary alarms, etc., we continue to request Border Patrol to assist, and they do their very best to provide the assets we need. On the flip side, if the Border Patrol needs our assistance, we will provide them with all the assets they need."

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Yup, just a teeny, tiny piece of MA, out west, is out of BP's "authority".

North Adams?? I'd rather get a proctology exam in NH from the border people than set foot in that city.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I guess NH is no longer "Live Free Or Die". [sad]
It'll be as free as the people allow it to be. Government always progresses towards maximum authority until they get push-back. They never reign in themselves voluntarily.

blindfire

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
North Adams?? I'd rather get a proctology exam in NH from the border people than set foot in that city.

- - - Updated - - -

It'll be as free as the people allow it to be. Government always progresses towards maximum authority until they get push-back. They never reign in themselves voluntarily.
I sure hope so....

Billsail

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
That "100 Mile Border Zone" image is severely misunderstood. This map is the current representation of the coverage of BP's authority.
View attachment 193822

OK, exactly what does the 100 mile border zone mean? Do agents have any limitations at all, outside of the zone? I recall reading that a stop outside the zone requires probable cause, whereas a zone stop can be random.

ochmude

Marine Veteran
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
OK, exactly what does the 100 mile border zone mean? Do agents have any limitations at all, outside of the zone? I recall reading that a stop outside the zone requires probable cause, whereas a zone stop can be random.
What's ironic is the description on the ACLU's website is actually fairly accurate with regard to the legal meaning of the 100-mile zone. All it means is that the Border Patrol can establish immigration inspection vehicle checkpoints within 100 miles of the boundaries of the United States (something I personally disagree with, but this isn't about opinions). The actual authority of individual agents to make vehicle stops, conduct searches, conduct investigations, and make arrests is uniform throughout the United States. I need the same level of suspicion to stop a vehicle in Nogales, Arizona that I do in Wichita, Kansas. And no, the stops cannot be random at all anywhere in the country.

Regarding agents' limitations outside the "zone", really the only limitations that exist are due to funding and manpower. We're a federal law enforcement agency. Our jurisdiction has the same geographic coverage as the FBI, USMS, DEA, ATF, and so forth. Heck, there's a physical Border Patrol Station in Albuquerque, New Mexico. It's not even remotely within the 100-mile zone.

Top Bottom