• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

U.S. Army going silent?

In a recent issue of Special Weapons for military and police there was an article about the U.S. army transitioning to widespread use of pistol and rifle silencers. Manufactures are currently submitting test samples to compete for the contracts. According to the article the army wants as many as 25,822 M9 pistol suppressors, and 40,050 M4/M16 suppressors with the potential for more in the future.
The goal included both tactical benefits and reduced hearing damage to solders. I'm no military expert but it seems that this could be a big change for solders on the battlefield.
Has anyone ever heard of military use of suppresors on this scale?

No widespread use like this before.

Past generations of suppressors used to decrease accuracy and velocity somewhat. Some of the new generation suppressors actually improve on both of these factors, so it may just be that the technology is right now.

The cynical side of me suspects the liberals will see this and start saying we have been using inhumane means of killing the enemy because they suffer sudden hearing loss moments before their death...

Reparations!! Reparations!!

I had wondered about that before. I have never been in combat but I know my ears are ringing after just one or two shots without hearing protection. The volume of a real firefight must be amazing.

Like so many things, there's a trade-off. I'd rather go deaf later than not be able to hear some tell-tale sound outside the wire. Joking aside, I can still half-way decently for somebody my age, even though there were a couple of exciting times after which it took the better part of a day before I was able to hear anything at all, and then the ringing drowned out everything quieter than shouting for a couple more days.

Ken

The psychological impact as well as the obvious tactical benefit would probably be tremendous. A group of Iraqis springs an ambush and suddenly, with no audible sounds, everyone around them starts dropping one by one...

The psychological impact as well as the obvious tactical benefit would probably be tremendous. A group of Iraqis springs an ambush and suddenly, with no audible sounds, everyone around them starts dropping one by one...

Well, it's not quite -that- good. Anyone who's been around supressed
weapons will tell you that they still make noise. It just changes
the sound and removes the more "ear shattering" component of
it. Trimming even 20DB off the "crack" of something like an M4 is a huge
improvement. Any supression is an improvement for the guys out in
the field. Touching off a .223 indoors must feel like getting slapped in the
face, hard, if you dont have ear pro.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom