• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

U-notch preban mag issue

sacksjacked

NES Member
Wanted to post this up hoping that one of you guys know about this issue. I have a pre-ban U-notch G17 magazine that works perfectly everytime in my Gen 3 G17. Friend of mine goes to use it in his Gen 4 G34 and it won't lock in. It seems like it's just a hair too short he says. Anybody ever seen this or heard of this issue with a pre-ban glock mag? Anyone who can shed some light I would appreciate it. I can't figure out why it's happening.

Too short in what way? It won't go in far enough, or it sticks out?

Wait, is your friend left handed? The G4 glocks have two notches for mag retension, the pre-ban has one. If he's swapped the release it won't work.

Too short in what way? It won't go in far enough, or it sticks out?

Wait, is your friend left handed? The G4 glocks have two notches for mag retension, the pre-ban has one. If he's swapped the release it won't work.

It won't go in far enough. the G4 is all stock, hasn't swapped the release.

I don't know if you knew this, but there are length differences between newer and older pre-ban G17 magazines.

Refer to the image below. #1 thru #3 all are shorter than #4 and plus. Notice the difference in floor plates. #1 thru #3 have a sort of ledge that allows the magazine to seat further up. On the other hand, #4 and beyond have the newer style floor plates that don't have this "step" because the magazine body is long enough to allow proper seating. Check your magazine and see which floor plate you have. Sometimes #2 will work with newer style floor plates because it's slightly longer than #3. Maybe that's what is giving you trouble in the G34?

MagazineGenerations-rear.jpg

*EDIT* I think #2 is actually longer than #3, not the other way around. The only reason I know is because I've installed Taylor Freelance's magazine extensions. They only work on #2 pre-bans because #3's are slightly too short. FYI, he stopped producing these extensions because of lack of demand.

Last edited:
I don't know if you knew this, but there are length differences between newer and older pre-ban G17 magazines.

Refer to the image below. #1 thru #3 all are shorter than #4 and plus. Notice the difference in floor plates. #1 thru #3 have a sort of ledge that allows the magazine to seat further up. On the other hand, #4 and beyond have the newer style floor plates that don't have this "step" because the magazine body is long enough to allow proper seating. Check your magazine and see which floor plate you have. Sometimes #3 will work with newer style floor plates because it's slightly longer than #2. Maybe that's what is giving you trouble in the G34?

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e366/bohoki/MagazineGenerations-rear.jpg

That's a useful picture, do you have a "front" version too?

I see what you mean Fred. A very slight bump in height but that's all we needed to make the difference. That seems to be it. Fixable issue?

That's a useful picture, do you have a "front" version too?

I found that image floating around. I'm unsure if there's a frontal picture.

I see what you mean Fred. A very slight bump in height but that's all we needed to make the difference. That seems to be it. Fixable issue?

I'm sure you can mod the magazine by taking away material slightly until the magazine will seat properly. However, I would personally just buy the old style floor plate. I found one here for pocket change. You just have to factor in shipping. You might find better prices by just Googling around.

Before you going buying the old style floorplate, just double check that you have the newer style. I wouldn't want you to throw money away for no reason.

Back
Top Bottom