• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Typical AR-15 Question Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
TLDR (Too Long Didn't Read):
Can anyone PM me with some time & factual and reputable answers in regards to simply building an AR-15 in MA as I'm willing to pay/tip for such info.

I have a class a large capacity license to carry in Massachusetts. New shooter. I go to the range weekly. I have fun. I shot an AR-15 one time & now I want to build my own. Pursuing LEO career w/bachelors in criminal justice & still can't decipher through all these dumb AR laws/ban laws because I'm 1 not a gun guru (don't know every single part) and 2 am just getting into the gun market (in terms of buying).

I wish I could just take $1,000 to $2,000 from my bank account, get in my car, drive to a gun store, buy a nice AR-15 brand new, go to the gun range, and shoot it.

Are there reputable people here with factual information with no opinion included that would be willing to private message me, I would be more than glad to paypal you a nice tip for the information as I've read around 20+ forum threads from 5 different websites, 20+ YouTube videos & have read the actual preban laws and still don't have all my answers. I'm simply not finding clear cut answers & it's an endless hole of information as you go from one source to the next without any real answers. I'm beyond confused that I don't even know what question I even want to ask at this point in terms of building an AR-15.

Sorry as I'm about to ask a repetitive question, and I know how many opinions/personalities/and honestly "answers" and yes I quote answers in that, but could someone please explain to me, how I can go buy this receiver (just an example) build from it, and than shoot it and use it for home defense.

What do I need to do after I were to purchase a lower like the one sold here? My understanding is I need to immediately register the lower within a week? Than how do I go about turning this into a full rifle (I'm NOT asking how to build, that I can learn for sure) I'm simply asking what's illegal/legal to purchase. Do uppers have serial numbers or could I basically buy the rest of the build from online websites and really customize my rifle. Some people have basically told me that those lowers are basically useless and just pieces of metal that you can't do anything with in MA. Other's have disagreed (ALWAYS with an opinion and NEVER with factual supporting information) that you can build it into a rifle. I suppose what I can pull from both parties of information is that there is a lot of written "laws" that say don't do this, can't do that, don't do that, but there are no supporting information saying yes that's okay, yes this is acceptable, yes this is legal. Seems to me, that those saying no this law says you can't are basically the full extent of what that "law is serving" which is merely scaring folks and creating large confusion.

Great website by the way, for a new gun owner and as I've found a new enjoyable hobby this was the first website that has a general amount of information in all regards to firearms, safety, sales, laws, etc.

If you don't just want more opinions than why not just go straight to MGL and do some reading? You can also take one of GOAL's gun laws classes which I found pretty helpful. I believe GOAL's website also has some links on where to find some of the laws.

Last edited:
Pursuing LEO career w/bachelors in criminal justice & still can't decipher through all these dumb AR laws/ban laws because I'm 1 not a gun guru (don't know every single part) and 2 am just getting into the gun market (in terms of buying).
If you're a gun guy and getting into LEO, my advice would be to go through the school of hard knocks and figure this out on your own. You should be well versed in firearms laws as well as those that involve a police interaction. It'll be more rewarding than if it were just given to you.

TLDR (Too Long Didn't Read):
Can anyone PM me with some time & factual and reputable answers in regards to simply building an AR-15 in MA as I'm willing to pay/tip for such info.

I have a class a large capacity license to carry in Massachusetts. New shooter. I go to the range weekly. I have fun. I shot an AR-15 one time & now I want to build my own. Pursuing LEO career w/bachelors in criminal justice & still can't decipher through all these dumb AR laws/ban laws because I'm 1 not a gun guru (don't know every single part) and 2 am just getting into the gun market (in terms of buying).

I wish I could just take $1,000 to $2,000 from my bank account, get in my car, drive to a gun store, buy a nice AR-15 brand new, go to the gun range, and shoot it.

Are there reputable people here with factual information with no opinion included that would be willing to private message me, I would be more than glad to paypal you a nice tip for the information as I've read around 20+ forum threads from 5 different websites, 20+ YouTube videos & have read the actual preban laws and still don't have all my answers. I'm simply not finding clear cut answers & it's an endless hole of information as you go from one source to the next without any real answers. I'm beyond confused that I don't even know what question I even want to ask at this point in terms of building an AR-15.

Sorry as I'm about to ask a repetitive question, and I know how many opinions/personalities/and honestly "answers" and yes I quote answers in that, but could someone please explain to me, how I can go buy this receiver (just an example) build from it, and than shoot it and use it for home defense.

What do I need to do after I were to purchase a lower like the one sold here? My understanding is I need to immediately register the lower within a week? Than how do I go about turning this into a full rifle (I'm NOT asking how to build, that I can learn for sure) I'm simply asking what's illegal/legal to purchase. Do uppers have serial numbers or could I basically buy the rest of the build from online websites and really customize my rifle. Some people have basically told me that those lowers are basically useless and just pieces of metal that you can't do anything with in MA. Other's have disagreed (ALWAYS with an opinion and NEVER with factual supporting information) that you can build it into a rifle. I suppose what I can pull from both parties of information is that there is a lot of written "laws" that say don't do this, can't do that, don't do that, but there are no supporting information saying yes that's okay, yes this is acceptable, yes this is legal. Seems to me, that those saying no this law says you can't are basically the full extent of what that "law is serving" which is merely scaring folks and creating large confusion.

Great website by the way, for a new gun owner and as I've found a new enjoyable hobby this was the first website that has a general amount of information in all regards to firearms, safety, sales, laws, etc.

Take the $2000 dollars, rent a truck, pack up all your shit and move out of Massachusetts to a free state.......then you wouldn't even have to be asking these questions and you will have a much happier life in general.

I assume you are unfamiliar with the search function, google, reading the law, or other methods of learning on your own. You seem to want to be spoon fed like the 1000000 people before you that have asked the exact same question.

MGL 140 131M
MGL 140 121, definition of assault weapon
Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(30) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994

What you will not see listed above is a press conference held in 2016 or anything documenting said press conference

And now for your civics lesson

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otbml6WIQPo

If you're a gun guy and getting into LEO, my advice would be to go through the school of hard knocks and figure this out on your own. You should be well versed in firearms laws as well as those that involve a police interaction. It'll be more rewarding than if it were just given to you.

I value this reply heavily and appreciate you saying this. I'll take that as a challenge to self educate myself and understand these so called "laws" a little bit more in depth.

Thank you for this reply & I appreciate the other helpful replies as well.

I assume you are unfamiliar with the search function, google, reading the law, or other methods of learning on your own. You seem to want to be spoon fed like the 1000000 people before you that have asked the exact same question.

MGL 140 131M
Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(30) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994

What you will not see listed above is a press conference held in 2016 or anything documenting said press conference

And now for your civics lesson

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otbml6WIQPo

Hands down one of the dumbest comment I've read so far on this website. But I'm glad you have enough free time to waste your day away replying to my thread like this. I'm simply getting into shooting as a hobby and was hoping to learn a bit more about these gun laws. If there is such an intake of people coming to this website asking these questions 1) that's an indicator that this website is a good function for doing so (btw I used google search function to find this site) and 2) These "laws" are clearly confusing.

Honestly, I was expecting one or two really helpful replies, and I suppose that is a bit too good to be true, but I suppose I'll do some more healthy digging & research to go learn how truly grey these laws are. But thanks for the totally useless comment!

Hands down one of the dumbest comment I've read so far on this website. But I'm glad you have enough free time to waste your day away replying to my thread like this. I'm simply getting into shooting as a hobby and was hoping to learn a bit more about these gun laws. If there is such an intake of people coming to this website asking these questions 1) that's an indicator that this website is a good function for doing so (btw I used google for this) and 2) These "laws" are clearly confusing.

Honestly, I was expecting one or two really helpful replies, and I suppose that is a bit too good to be true, but I suppose I'll do some more healthy digging & research to go learn how truly grey these laws are. But thanks for the totally useless comment that just highlights how much of an idiot you are!
I was pretty clear in my response that you are too lazy to read the other 10,000 threads on NES on this very topic. Instead of asking someone to spoon feed you, try searching. you have to be able to find at least 500 or so of the other threads on the topic.

you dont join a new community and day one step on your d*ck by asking the question most often asked and answered. you start by reading the forum for some time, searching, educating, then asking an informed question. first rate failure on your part. but welcome to NES. We eat our young.

Hands down one of the dumbest comment I've read so far on this website. But I'm glad you have enough free time to waste your day away replying to my thread like this. I'm simply getting into shooting as a hobby and was hoping to learn a bit more about these gun laws. If there is such an intake of people coming to this website asking these questions 1) that's an indicator that this website is a good function for doing so (btw I used google search function to find this site) and 2) These "laws" are clearly confusing.

Honestly, I was expecting one or two really helpful replies, and I suppose that is a bit too good to be true, but I suppose I'll do some more healthy digging & research to go learn how truly grey these laws are. But thanks for the totally useless comment!

You might not like the answer but CrackPot spelled it out perfectly, BY THE LETTER OF THE LAW. There has been hundreds of these threads and its not hard to find the answers you seek by doing some searching. What you also may not realize is CrackPot is also one of the most respected and knowledgeable dealers on here. The laws are definitely shit but they have been spelled out numerous times on what you can and can't do.

Last edited:
I was pretty clear in my response that you are too lazy to read the other 10,000 threads on NES on this very topic. Instead of asking someone to spoon feed you, try searching. you have to be able to find at least 500 or so of the other threads on the topic.

you dont join a new community and day one step on your d*ck by asking the question most often asked and answered. you start by reading the forum for some time, searching, educating, then asking an informed question. first rate failure on your part. but welcome to NES. We eat our young.

I can appreciate this and understand what your saying. I respect that absolutely, and I just want to be out & honest that I spent 1-2 hours on this website today looking for forum threads but had figured I'd make my own thread to see if I can get some replies that are more specific to my situation. If I got a reply great, if not, more digging. I even offered to tip someone for their information (Show me 1 single thread where someone asked a common question and offered that - believe me I'm grateful for knowledge/information) I understand what you're saying and can agree with that. However, I also believe that if you don't have something good to say don't say anything. I'm not begging for anyone to post here, if someone feels like they are willing to reply, than I even offered an incentive to that. Information is knowledge and knowledge is power, therefore I have no problem offering so. Fortunately, someone was willing to take time to do via pm and I will make sure they also benefit from using their time....whereas you (and I mean this with all respect) will move forward with your day after wasting X time sharing multiple replies on not only my thread, but other past threads as you said and future threads as well. I wish you the best luck in your challenge against fighting common question and laziness on the internet (LOL).

Crackpot gave you the most helpful answer possible, the actual laws, that show you can buy build register own and shoot an AR in this state. #BLACKBALLED

I can appreciate this and understand what your saying. I respect that absolutely, and I just want to be out & honest that I spent 1-2 hours on this website today looking for forum threads but had figured I'd make my own thread to see if I can get some replies that are more specific to my situation. If I got a reply great, if not, more digging. I even offered to tip someone for their information (Show me 1 single thread where someone asked a common question and offered that - believe me I'm grateful for knowledge/information) I understand what you're saying and can agree with that. However, I also believe that if you don't have something good to say don't say anything. I'm not begging for anyone to post here, if someone feels like they are willing to reply, than I even offered an incentive to that. Information is knowledge and knowledge is power, therefore I have no problem offering so. Fortunately, someone was willing to take time to do via pm and I will make sure they also benefit from using their time....whereas you (and I mean this with all respect) will move forward with your day after wasting X time sharing multiple replies on not only my thread, but other past threads as you said and future threads as well. I wish you the best luck in your challenge against fighting common question and laziness on the internet (LOL).

99% of the blue line are good guys that I support. The thought of you becoming police with your level of patience and self control and completely unintelligible grammatically poor ranting makes me think you’ll be in that 1% known as BAD POLICE. Change career interests before you f*** it up more for those guys actually doing their jobs.

I have no dog in this fight; I cordially detest ARs.

But when multiple dealers on this site are all saying the same thing, and it's also the same thing they've said on the other thousand or so threads you somehow didn't manage to find, I think a wise course of action would be to listen to what they're saying.

Welcome to NES.

I don't understand why everyone needs to be an ass to the OP. He's new here and just had some questions. As members, we have a duty to encourage newcomers and lead them in the right direction. All anyone had to do was link the "build an AR" thread or whatever. He didn't have in malicious intention, yet you guys are trying to scare him away by any means possible. So what if he had 100 questions? Just link him in the right direction and say take a look around, there are plenty of resources here. Being above others is not what we're about. The goal is to grow the community, not shrink it.

I don't understand why everyone needs to be an ass to the OP. He's new here and just had some questions. As members, we have a duty to encourage newcomers and lead them in the right direction. All anyone had to do was link the "build an AR" thread or whatever. He didn't have in malicious intention, yet you guys are trying to scare him away by any means possible. So what if he had 100 questions? Just link him in the right direction and say take a look around, there are plenty of resources here. Being above others is not what we're about. The goal is to grow the community, not shrink it.

I 100% agree with what you’re saying here, I think it was his reticent attitude and lack of attempt at effort. Yes crackpot is a grumpy tyrant but he gave the man the answer to his question. He just didn’t like the answer and bit back. TPNES then gets the pitchfork out.

I don't understand why everyone needs to be an ass to the OP.

Because he started out with TL;DR which translates to "I'm lazy spoon feed me". Then Crackpot gave him the best possible answer, but the op got butt hurt and said:
Hands down one of the dumbest comment I've read so far on this website.

Crackpot actually spoon feeds this guy the only right answer to his question, and that's how he reacts.

OP, you wouldn't know a dumb post if it jumped up and bit you in the ass. Forget searching NES, If you won't take the time to read the only actual law on the subject, which Crackpot took the time to post for you, stay the f*** out of law enforcement, because there are already enough bad cops.

I'll go a little farther for you and turn those into links:

MGL 140 131M

Click on those, print them out, and find someone to read them to you.

We're done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom