• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tying flies

I haven't tied one in years, however I have made many in my time.
When I was very young my mother introduced me to an older gentleman who was a very avid fly fisherman. My mom was a nurse and took care of his wife so I would go to their house sometimes.
Malcom was in his eighties and had finders the size of my thumbs yet he could create the most wonderfully detailed flies.

I still remember him teaching me how to create a "Royal Coachman" using peacock feathers. I could get the feathers as I lived close to Southwick's wild animal farm. I practiced making them and probably still have a dozen or so in a tackle box in my cellar.

My mom bought me a nice Fenwick fly rod for my birthday and we caught many brookies with it. Not certain what birthday it was but Mom died when I was 12, so I was pretty young.

Great memories even though my eyes are watering a little now thinking of it.

I used to about 30 years ago, gave all my stuff to a guy that was going through divorce that needed a way to cope. lost touch shortly after.

Haven't tied any in a long, long time but will probably resume when retired. Tied a few different types but what's funny is that the most fun (and fish caught) was had with the most simple flies I tied. I made rubber spiders that were dynamite on big fat bluegill and sometimes smallmouth. I fished the Caney Fork in Tennessee with a work friend and a customer and would kill it catching rainbows on self tied Wooly Buggers. The secret I never told my buddies was that mine were weighted a little with a bit of lead wire wrap on the hood shank. Just the right weight put the flies down where the fish were holding.

I'd like to someday learn to tie these:

silveys-visible-caddis-olive_1024x1024.jpeg

Silvey's Visible Caddis. Years ago I had the Firehole in Yellowstone all to myself on opening day. The weather was cold and spitting a mix of snow, ice pellets, and rain; but the days before and after were warm which started the early stages of a hatch. Nothing hatching on my day, but several football shaped rainbows in brilliant color were hammering this fly. Apparently caddis usually hatch later in the day but the Firehole tends to have a hatch early in the day. Epic day with my favorite rod, one that was custom made near my home town in CA with a IM6 blank. Not really expensive either.

I've never been fly fishing, but I really do admire those who have the skill and patience to continue this almost "lost" art (making flies). Nice work !

I tie a fly called "Maple Syrup" it is a multi use fly. Of course the other "go to" flies are the "Grey Ghost" and "Warden's Worry". I am going to be tying a fly called "Mrs. Simpson" which is a trout, salmon fly from New Zealand.

Haven't tied any in a long, long time but will probably resume when retired. Tied a few different types but what's funny is that the most fun (and fish caught) was had with the most simple flies I tied. I made rubber spiders that were dynamite on big fat bluegill and sometimes smallmouth. I fished the Caney Fork in Tennessee with a work friend and a customer and would kill it catching rainbows on self tied Wooly Buggers. The secret I never told my buddies was that mine were weighted a little with a bit of lead wire wrap on the hood shank. Just the right weight put the flies down where the fish were holding.

I'd like to someday learn to tie these:

silveys-visible-caddis-olive_1024x1024.jpeg

Silvey's Visible Caddis. Years ago I had the Firehole in Yellowstone all to myself on opening day. The weather was cold and spitting a mix of snow, ice pellets, and rain; but the days before and after were warm which started the early stages of a hatch. Nothing hatching on my day, but several football shaped rainbows in brilliant color were hammering this fly. Apparently caddis usually hatch later in the day but the Firehole tends to have a hatch early in the day. Epic day with my favorite rod, one that was custom made near my home town in CA with a IM6 blank. Not really expensive either.
Great story! I live 50 minutes outside of Yellowstone now. My goal is to fish the park this year. Fire Hole is on the list.

I have been trying for years. I don't know where you are located ,however the Western Massachusetts Fly Fisherman meet at the Ludlow Elk's the 3rd Monday of the month at 7:00pm this months meeting is on Monday the 21st. We start the meeting with a fly-tying demo of three flys with tying instructions done by Dan Trela a professional and commercial fly-tyer. Our meetings are open to the public.

No I haven't used any yet I tied them this winter and have not been out yet. I purchased mop fly material to tie them. They are supposed to be real killers

Back
Top Bottom