• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

TX - Teen Files Suit Against BATFE re:Handgun Sales To <21

A Lubbock courtroom could be the location of a major change in national gun laws.

James A. D’Cruz, 18, has asked a federal judge to declare unconstitutional the ban on handgun sales by federally licensed dealers to 18-20-year-olds.

The suit against the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and explosives was filed just days after D’Cruz visited Sharp Shooters, Inc. and asked if he was legally able to buy a handgun. The employee told him he couldn’t.

According to the suit, D’Cruz is a well-trained, lawful owner of both long guns and handguns and is a decorated competitive Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps marksman.

D’Cruz’s suit argues the ban violates the rights of millions of responsible Americans and therefore is invalid under the Second and Fifth Amendments.....

http://lubbockonline.com/local-news/2010-09-14/lubbock-teen-challenges-federal-gun-law

I wish him the best of luck. Its nice to see someone from his generation standing up and not just rolling over and taking the BS like most of the rest of his generation are.

That's great. If you're old enough to be handed a rifle and fight for your country on foreign soil, then you're old enough to carry a gun on native soil. I enlisted at 171/2 and we denied a job at a deli because you had to be 18 to use the deli slicer.

So he can smoke, serve in the military, gamble, go to (some) strip joints but can't buy a handgun at those ages.....

Good for him. Next they need to lower the drinking age to 18. That will correct the "some" strip joints part.

Booze, too....

IMO, "adult" meand that. >= 18, you should be able to exercise the full rights of an adult.

I agree. There is no magic age at which a person is responcible. Since you can pay taxes, die for your country, get married or potentially spend the rest of your life in jail for a crime, then you should not have to wait till 21 for a drink or a handgun.

I agree. There is no magic age at which a person is responcible. Since you can pay taxes, die for your country, get married or potentially spend the rest of your life in jail for a crime, then you should not have to wait till 21 for a drink or a handgun.

Ted Kennedy, for example, never actually acted like an adult despite living for more than 60 years...

I need to find this kid...

Impossible to leave Lubbock without Raider Rash, unfortunately [laugh]

Last edited:
never got the point that 18 years old cant drink and cant have handgun but totally okay serve in the army in places like Afghanistan and Iraq

never got the point that 18 years old cant drink and cant have handgun but totally okay serve in the army in places like Afghanistan and Iraq

I think it should noted that in MOST of the country you CAN have a handgun at 18, you can even buy one, just not at an FFL. Not defending the law..just saying

I think it should be noted that we are on a roll and any pushback on any anti gun law at any level is a good thing.

A lot of this sounds like echos of the arguments used back during the Vietnam War. In the old days a person was not considered to have achieved majority until he or she turned 21. You couldn't vote. You couldn't drink.

People argued successfully that if they were old enough to a) go to war and b) get married you were old enough to drink. Drinking ages across the country were reduced to 18 for the duration of the 1970's.

Amid claims that drunk driving, campus date rape and general mayhem was a result of the 18 year old drinking age, during the 1980's the Federal Government pushed the states into changing the drinking age back to 21. They used the threat of witholding federal highway funds if the states didn't comply. This caused some, such as Vermont, to threaten secession. But in the end all complied.

Drinking, however, is not a constitutionally protected right.

Drinking, however, is not a constitutionally protected right.

Statements like this always scare me. The constitution does not list every right you have. It simply points out the ones most egregiously violated throughout history and tells the government what they can't do to the people. Just because it is not specifically mentioned in the constitution does NOT mean it's not a constitutionally protected right.

The enumeration in the Constitution of certain rights shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

The two most ignored and unenforced lines in the constitution.

If they lose, then people under 21 should not be able to join the army either.

Back
Top Bottom