Two Weapons, a Chase, a Killing and No Charges: A 25-year-old man running through a Georgia neighborhood ended up dead

Edit: Not sure that it is a second video.
Ya this the same video I've seen countless times. It doesn't show anything to support the guy got hit by Mcmichaels truck or show him pointing the shotgun at him. All you see Is Arbery run at them then you see the struggle.

You have to do better than cnn
Please...

Please...

After all that has gone on in this country in the last five years never mind the last 100 your just going to bend over that easy and believe all that. Turn in you NES membership

Ya this the same video I've seen countless times. It doesn't show anything to support the guy got hit by Mcmichaels truck or show him pointing the shotgun at him. All you see Is Arbery run at them then you see the struggle.

So what exactly is your argument?

He got out of the truck carrying his shotgun. You said it wasn’t an armed confrontation. You don’t need to point the shotgun for it to be an armed confrontation. We have refuted that.

You said he wasn’t struck by a vehicle even though he police report and the suspects own statement say otherwise. So that assertion has also been refuted.

After all that has gone on in this country in the last five years never mind the last 100 your just going to bend over that easy and believe all that. Turn in you NES membership
JFC - Read it! It was testimony of the guy that hit him with his truck!

Man up and say it. " OK - I was wrong."
You bitch about the source because you are to lazy to type it into a search engine, so I give you more examples, including the NY Daily news, and you tell me to turn in my membership?
You have the wrong guy. I don't bend over for anything. But when the guy that actually hit him, says he hit him, YOU don't believe it!
Are you having a stroke?
Do you smell burnt toast?

So what exactly is your argument?

He got out of the truck carrying his shotgun. You said it wasn’t an armed confrontation. You don’t need to point the shotgun for it to be an armed confrontation. We have refuted that.

You said he wasn’t struck by a vehicle even though he police report and the suspects own statement say otherwise. So that assertion has also been refuted.
My argument is a former police officer living in a neighborhood that has recent sketchy occurrences including a burglary, sees a man who obviously isnt one of his neighbors go onto private property then run away from the scene. Guy fits a description of the burglary suspect and his instincts as a former cop kicks in and he pursues. Arbery evades which says to ex cop only guilty people usually run. They play hide and go seek for a bit until Arbery, even though he has multiple angles to get away, decides to run at him and then tries to disarm the guy. The guy shoots him fearing for his life. At no point do I see a weapon being pointed at Arbery. At no point do I see McMichael hit him with his truck (I dont care what some fake news site claims so and so said.) It all adds up to not guilty of murder to me.
Even though I think these guys are not guilty I do believe they will be found guilty, but not for any of the reasons you or any of the other people here who have challenged me on this think. They will be guilty in the court of public opinion..and that opinion is guilty before anyone has even set foot in a court room. The governor of Georgia Brian Kemp said "Ahmaud was a victim of a vigilante style of violence that has no place in Georgia. Some tried to justify the actions of his killers by claiming they had the protection of an antiquated law that is ripe for abuse," Kemp said during a news conference. How the hell are these guys going to get a fair trial. The whole thing stinks

JFC - Read it! It was testimony of the guy that hit him with his truck!

Man up and say it. " OK - I was wrong."
You bitch about the source because you are to lazy to type it into a search engine, so I give you more examples, including the NY Daily news, and you tell me to turn in my membership?
You have the wrong guy. I don't bend over for anything. But when the guy that actually hit him, says he hit him, YOU don't believe it!
Are you having a stroke?
Do you smell burnt toast?
That's right I dont believe what the NY daily news says. JFC why are you guys so hell bent on convincing me you're right and I'm wrong. It's my opinion not the end of the f***ing world. Get over it and move along. Eat a sandwich or something.

My argument is a former police officer living in a neighborhood that has recent sketchy occurrences including a burglary, sees a man who obviously isnt one of his neighbors go onto private property then run away from the scene. Guy fits a description of the burglary suspect and his instincts as a former cop kicks in and he pursues. Arbery evades which says to ex cop only guilty people usually run. They play hide and go seek for a bit until Arbery, even though he has multiple angles to get away, decides to run at him and then tries to disarm the guy. The guy shoots him fearing for his life. At no point do I see a weapon being pointed at Arbery. At no point do I see McMichael hit him with his truck (I dont care what some fake news site claims so and so said.) It all adds up to not guilty of murder to me.
Even though I think these guys are not guilty I do believe they will be found guilty, but not for any of the reasons you or any of the other people here who have challenged me on this think. They will be guilty in the court of public opinion..and that opinion is guilty before anyone has even set foot in a court room. The governor of Georgia Brian Kemp said "Ahmaud was a victim of a vigilante style of violence that has no place in Georgia. Some tried to justify the actions of his killers by claiming they had the protection of an antiquated law that is ripe for abuse," Kemp said during a news conference. How the hell are these guys going to get a fair trial. The whole thing stinks

No one cares that he is an ex cop except for you.

Your statement that only the guilty run says a lot about you.

And for the last time it’s not a fake news site. It’s the their own statements claiming they hit him with their truck.

And for the last time it’s not a fake news site. It’s the their own statements claiming they hit him with their truck.
Yeah can't imagine why a black guy in the south would run from a bunch of klansmen in a pickup with guns. Whatchu thinkin 'boy' we just wanna talk to you....hey Cleetus grab the chains...

Says the fake news site. And you opinion of me means exactly Shit to me.

... his instincts as a former cop kicks in and he pursues.

I'll try one more time, giving you the benefit of the doubt that you're not just trolling, and that you honestly believe what you've typed here, and that you're right in your assumptions... Read the fragment above.

Do you not see why, if you're right, this man is a menace to everyone's liberty? And why he therefore needs to be jailed, at the very least?

Says the fake news site. And you opinion of me means exactly Shit to me.

No... says the police report. Compiled by cops whom you seem to hold in such high esteem that you think it gives them the ok to chase someone down and shoot them even though they have no jurisdiction to do so. You seem to think that because someone has some training as a police officer that gives them blanket immunity to run around society and do whatever they feel like. For someone who is so concerned about fair trials and due process it's puzzling that you think only the guilty run.

I'll try one more time, giving you the benefit of the doubt that you're not just trolling, and that you honestly believe what you've typed here, and that you're right in your assumptions... Read the fragment above.

Do you not see why, if you're right, this man is a menace to everyone's liberty? And why he therefore needs to be jailed, at the very least?
i dont need your benefit of anything. I dont agree with you. It's ok. It's not the end of the world. I actually think you have good points a lot of the time. But man you can be a rude a hole sometimes and I will call you out every time. But jesus let it go. Agree to disagree. Beer summit [rofl]

No... says the police report. Compiled by cops whom you seem to hold in such high esteem that you think it gives them the ok to chase someone down and shoot them even though they have no jurisdiction to do so. You seem to think that because someone has some training as a police officer that gives them blanket immunity to run around society and do whatever they feel like. For someone who is so concerned about fair trials and due process it's puzzling that you think only the guilty run.
[horse] Give it up pal.

i dont need your benefit of anything. I dont agree with you. It's ok. It's not the end of the world. I actually think you have good points a lot of the time. But man you can be a rude a hole sometimes and I will call you out every time. But jesus let it go. Agree to disagree. Beer summit [rofl]

Nah. You're wrong. I suspect you know it, but you're what Felger and Mazz call "take-committed:" so deep in your views that it's way too late to back out now.

Again, we'll see what the jury says.

There are two big problems with your position. Well, more than two, but the two that jump out at me are:

1) Georgia law is quite clear and specific on the subject of justification for use of deadly force: an individual is not justified in using deadly force if he or she was the initial aggressor, unless he or she attempted to withdraw and the other person pursued. (This is, as I understand it, a fairly typical provision in self-defense law.) Arbury was not the initial aggressor. McMichael was. QED, McMichael can't claim justification.

2) Georgia law at the time was also quite clear and specific on whether or not a private citizen could make a citizen's arrest: a citizen's arrest was legal only if the citizen directly witnessed the suspect commit a crime, or had "immediate knowledge" that the suspect had committed a crime. I've seen nothing that suggests Arbury committed any crime the day he was killed, so the McMichaels can't have witnessed one. At most they were justified in calling 9-1-1 and following Arbury until an officer arrived.

Bottom line: there is no provision of Georgia law that justifies McMichael shooting Arbury. That makes it murder.

There are two big problems with your position. Well, more than two, but the two that jump out at me are:

1) Georgia law is quite clear and specific on the subject of justification for use of deadly force: an individual is not justified in using deadly force if he or she was the initial aggressor, unless he or she attempted to withdraw and the other person pursued. (This is, as I understand it, a fairly typical provision in self-defense law.) Arbury was not the initial aggressor. McMichael was. QED, McMichael can't claim justification.

2) Georgia law at the time was also quite clear and specific on whether or not a private citizen could make a citizen's arrest: a citizen's arrest was legal only if the citizen directly witnessed the suspect commit a crime, or had "immediate knowledge" that the suspect had committed a crime. I've seen nothing that suggests Arbury committed any crime the day he was killed, so the McMichaels can't have witnessed one. At most they were justified in calling 9-1-1 and following Arbury until an officer arrived.

Bottom line: there is no provision of Georgia law that justifies McMichael shooting Arbury. That makes it murder.
So if it were you in that position you would have just handed the gun to him. And dont use the excuse that you wouldn't have been in that position

So if it were you in that position you would have just handed the gun to him. And dont use the excuse that you wouldn't have been in that position
I actually see your point here. If Arbury had gained control of the shot gun, and didn't immediately throw it, Billy Bob probably could have gotten away with shooting him 6 times with the 357. But that's not what happened.
What's really scary to me about this whole event is that if the third defendant, Danny Deliverance, hadn't pulled out his cell phone and recorded the shooting, there is a very high probability they would never have been charged.

This event was vigilante justice circa 1925 in the deep south. The guy was on foot. There was no way he was going to slip away. If they had just tailed the guy and waited for their buddy to show up and slap the guy in cuffs, they could happily spend the rest of their lives slowly killing themselves of heart disease.
Instead, their diet is about to change dramatically. I hope they like cock sandwiches, because they are going to be eating them for breakfast, lunch and dinner, for years.

I actually see your point here. If Arbury had gained control of the shot gun, and didn't immediately throw it, Billy Bob probably could have gotten away with shooting him 6 times with the 357. But that's not what happened.
What's really scary to me about this whole event is that if the third defendant, Danny Deliverance, hadn't pulled out his cell phone and recorded the shooting, there is a very high probability they would never have been charged.

This event was vigilante justice circa 1925 in the deep south. The guy was on foot. There was no way he was going to slip away. If they had just tailed the guy and waited for their buddy to show up and slap the guy in cuffs, they could happily spend the rest of their lives slowly killing themselves of heart disease.
Instead, their diet is about to change dramatically. I hope they like cock sandwiches, because they are going to be eating them for breakfast, lunch and dinner, for years.
I agree. They’re f***ed. But not for the reasons you think.

No, if I were in that position I wouldn't have just handed him the gun. But I'm not sure why I can't use the excuse that I wouldn't have been there. By the time he got near the gun the McMichaels had committed multiple felonies, including assault with a deadly weapon, brandishing, threatening, etc. I am not a criminal so I wouldn't have done those things, and wouldn't have been there. But if you're forcing me to be a criminal like them, maybe I'd have the foresight to try to toss the gun back in the truck to prevent its acquisition - as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, many people who point guns have no intention of using them, hopefully I'd be one. But if he did get his hands on the gun, I'd probably shoot, knowing that I'm escalating it to murder. Actually, that's why many murders are committed - criminals escalating the situation to cover up other crimes.

So this proves what, exactly?

They play hide and go seek for a bit until Arbery, even though he has multiple angles to get away, decides to run at him and then tries to disarm the guy. The guy shoots him fearing for his life. At no point do I see a weapon being pointed at Arbery. At no point do I see McMichael hit him with his truck (I dont care what some fake news site claims so and so said.) It all adds up to not guilty of murder to me.
Arbery did not have "multiple angles to get away" - he is on a peninsula, and there is a water barrier. He has to outrun a vehicle, which wasn't possible.

If you don't believe the defendant's own statement (Was he tortured by the police into a confession?) the video that most people have seen was actually posted to the internet by the defendants - i.e. edited to the length they felt was appropriate. I understand the police have a acquired the longer, unedited video which shows Arbery being hit - potentially that's the reason why they confessed to that. But I'm sure that and the court are fake news.

Maybe it's worth noting the local law enforcement are under indictment now for covering things up?

.....the McMichaels had committed multiple felonies, including assault with a deadly weapon, brandishing, threatening, etc.

Sure did. And it sounds like there was some N word stuff thrown around too, so now that shit is a hate crime. And it also appears that the cops have unedited, unreleased video that may show evidence of the racial aspects of the crime.
If you are the McMichaels you know what state prison in Georgia looks like. Tryouts for the Globetrotters.
I can't imagine they are going to be very popular.

Back
Top Bottom